Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2012 9:06:13 AM EDT
I've got some 7.62 that won't sell locally, but plenty of out of state offers.  I've never shipped ammunition, never looked into it because of where I live.  Small town.  UPS is an hour away.  USPS won't take it.

Can I weigh and package it with ORM-D and have the UPS driver pick it up?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got some 7.62 that won't sell locally, but plenty of out of state offers.  I've never shipped ammunition, never looked into it because of where I live.  Small town.  UPS is an hour away.  USPS won't take it.

Probably not, it might have to go directly to the hub???
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
When I ship ammo I use the local UPS hub and mark the box accordingly.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell that's as big of a pain as shipping a handgun.    Not only is the hub an hour drive, it has odd hours and is a crappy drive.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1

Luckily I have a hub 4 miles from the house
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't send it by ship boat. That's how I lost all of my firearm collection.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Luckily I have a hub 4 miles from the house

Ya, it does help being close to a hub.  Mine is about 15mins from my house.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I always had it picked up w/ pre-paid lable bar-code.  I made a point of NOT being there.  

The bar-code will scan.  Driver then has a choice: deliver paid package or cause a big stink?  Driver took it every time; no questions.

I guess Brown might have some obscure Hub policy.  I happen to know that Brown does not properly train their Hub staff & their staff will typically turn every shipment into a big cluster ****.  

Therefor, I guess I never looked up Brown's ammo policy.  Ship it pre-paid, have it picked up & go on with life.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#8]
They should pick it up, as long as it's properly marked ORM-D. I don't see why the driver would refuse to take it. It's no different than any other package.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll PM you with instructions and my address.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
"Will Call"

Let the buyer arrange shipping.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I shipped two big boxes of it through USPS........  then was told that I wasn't apposed to do that.  

It arrived without a problem, but now I just don't sell ammo.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Take mine to a Mail Box Postage store that is contracted by UPS, mark with ORM-D placards and they weigh it and ship it.    Never had a problem at that location but similar location refused to ship ammo for me.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always had it picked up w/ pre-paid lable bar-code.  I made a point of NOT being there.  

The bar-code will scan.  Driver then has a choice: deliver paid package or cause a big stink?  Driver took it every time; no questions.

I guess Brown might have some obscure Hub policy.  I happen to know that Brown does not properly train their Hub staff & their staff will typically turn every shipment into a big cluster ****.  

Therefor, I guess I never looked up Brown's ammo policy.  Ship it pre-paid, have it picked up & go on with life.

THIS.

Whenever shipping anything firearm related, ALWAYS pre-print a bar-code label off of UPS.com pay with your card, and either just leave it for pick-up or hand it to the counter jockey at the hub. If it's ammo, you write "ORM-D" on the box in a few places with a fat sharpie marker, and just hand it over.

If it's something going to a gun related business, instead of "Sturm Ruger Prescott AZ" I put "S.R. Prescott AZ". The local driver will have no confusion as to who it's for, but all the thieving monkeys in the depots and sorting hubs won't know. Same thing if it's "Joe's Gun Shop", I abbreviate that as "J.G.S." or similar.

I tend to not use UPS stores, since they're actually not UPS, but are the former Mailboxes Etc. chain of franchises. They'll freak hard about anything gun related. To the point they refuse even scopes, or gun accessories like magazines or slings even when they find out.

When shipping my grandfather's gun stuff home from his estate, I even did that with some ammo cans he had. Just ran packing tape around them and over the lid and the locking lever, and put ORM-D on a post-it note, with clear tape over it, and a UPS.com paid shipping printout label/barcode. It all got there just fine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Take mine to a Mail Box Postage store that is contracted by UPS, mark with ORM-D placards and they weigh it and ship it.    Never had a problem at that location but similar location refused to ship ammo for me.....

i dont think u have to tell them its ammo, just as long as it has the ORMD on it its good.. i put it on the bottom :)

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes.

Remember that if you're not shipping express, and don't already have a regular daily business pickup, you'll be charged for the package pickup, which is why most of us cheap bastards drop it off at the customer counter.  If you happen to catch your driver, though, you can just hand it off to him, as long as it's prepaid and labelled.

Loaded ammo must go ground and must be marked ORM-D.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Remember that if you're not shipping express, and don't already have a regular daily business pickup, you'll be charged for the package pickup, which is why most of us cheap bastards drop it off at the customer counter.  If you happen to catch your driver, though, you can just hand it off to him, as long as it's prepaid and labelled.

Loaded ammo must go ground and must be marked ORM-D.

I could have them pick it up at work, we get regular delivery there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Be sure to check your rates.

I sent 2 1/2 boxes of 30-30 ammo I didn't need. The cost of shipping UPS (Postal service won't ship it) was almost as much as the cost of the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont think u have to tell them its ammo, just as long as it has the ORMD on it its good.. i put it on the bottom :)  

I called the once place and asked the question about ammo and they stated they would not handle or ship it......I dialed the second place and the guy said sure bring it down with the ORM-D on the box or container.   May have boiled down to manager/ owner preferance I suppose.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#19]
UPS policy is ammo must be brought to a UPS Customer Center (find it on the website) and labeled ORM-D (the labels can be printed off the web). As far as the driver picking it up, well, if he does, it's all good, that isn't UPS policy though. As long as it's labelled, you are good as far as the law is concerned.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I bring it next door, the guy owns a UPS store he ships it then tells me what I owe him the next day,
always ships all my firearms no questions asked
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top