Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 4:24:38 PM EDT
My old '87 Nissan has one of those skinny spare tires mounted under the bed. In 23 years, I've never checked the air in it and I assume it's either flat or the rubber is rotted.

I would like to secure a full-size spare or two in the bed of the truck that is as theft-proof as possible. There's nothing really to tie it to back there. I guess I could mount a couple of eye bolts back there and chain the tires to the bolts. These will be used spare tires on old steel wheels, so they're probably not a very valuable target for a thief.

Does anyone have a better idea? Some kind of kit? Someone must have had to deal with this before?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
They make kits for this, don't know exactly where to find it or how much they are. They usually take up a good portion of the cargo area so you do lose that....
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what I used in front of the wheel well there was a hook and it jammed in there well this was an old S-10

EDIT> now that I think about it I also used a short 2x4 to hold the tire

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't two spares and mounts total the truck?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Magnets, or superglue. Which ever you have on hand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to drive one of those when I was in high school. I let a friend drive it and he rear ended somebody. Good trucks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Hang a full sized spare under the truck where the mini spare was.  Clean and inspect the hanger, Cable or chain.  Lube it up with motorcycle chain lube.  Hit the junkyard for a replacement if needed.

Just get a standard steel rim and put a decent tire on it.  Hang it with the valve stem down so you can add air.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got mine locked with a cable to one of the tiedowns and held in place with a 2x4 that fits in the bed liner.
I know somebody could steal it by unscrewing the tie down with the cable attached but it would be a pain in the ass.
Doesn't the Nissan have tiedowns somewhere in the bed?

Even if you can put a full size spare under the bed why would you want to?
One flat tire in the rain, sliding around on my back in the mud, was enough for me to move the spare.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Yep.  Something like this.  We usually just grabbed a chunk of angle-iron the right size and made one out of it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Damn, that looks almost perfect. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got mine locked with a cable to one of the tiedowns and held in place with a 2x4 that fits in the bed liner.
I know somebody could steal it by unscrewing the tie down with the cable attached but it would be a pain in the ass.
Doesn't the Nissan have tiedowns somewhere in the bed?

Even if you can put a full size spare under the bed why would you want to?
One flat tire in the rain, sliding around on my back in the mud, was enough for me to move the spare.

http://www.fototime.com/4DFBA93418E39FB/standard.jpg

It does have tiedowns, but they are open eyes, so I guess I would have to replace them with closed eyes for added security, if I can find them.

No, I don't want to put a spare under the bed. That's what it has now. I want something like what you did or that bracked thing that was posted.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333213_200333213

That looks like a great DIY job you did there. That's probably less intrusive than the bracket. With the bracket, you have to drill holes in the bed, and then you can have rust issues.

SHIT!!! I wasted my 25,000th post on this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top