Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:45:15 PM EDT

Some pictures of the event in N.O. has led me to believe that having a vehicle capable of traversing water several feet deep has me thinking that some type of snorkel for the exhaust will be needed if I ever find myself in a similar situation.

Can anyone shed any light into how these work? Do they just prevent water from coming in the tailpipe or is there more to it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:46:29 PM EDT
well, you run your intake pipe up and out, its not that difficult
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:46:57 PM EDT
You need to prevent water going into the aircleaner and the electronics.

The tail pipe will take care of its self.. As long as you dont stall.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:47:29 PM EDT
If the water is at or above the carburetor level,
you would need to make a snorkel for that as well.
AT that point, I don't see much of a reason to drive anything.
Would you LIKE driving at neck deep water???
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:48:04 PM EDT
salad fingers
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 2:49:50 PM EDT by KN]
Lots of people have them around here. They are 4WD trucks with big tires and a lift kit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:51:27 PM EDT
PVC and lots and lots of duct tape!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:51:58 PM EDT
I made an intake snorkel out of PVC pipe, sealed it to the air box with thumb putty.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:05:04 PM EDT
Let's say I have an Explorer 4x4, would water up to the top of the wheels be too deep to drive through for several blocks assuming that I never let off the gas?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 3:14:11 PM EDT by EPOCH96]

Originally Posted By Bhart89:
Some pictures of the event in N.O. has led me to believe that having a vehicle capable of traversing water several feet deep has me thinking that some type of snorkel for the exhaust will be needed if I ever find myself in a similar situation.

Can anyone shed any light into how these work? Do they just prevent water from coming in the tailpipe or is there more to it?

Intake and exhaust snorkels are only the first step. What happens when your cooling fan starts being submerged? How about your computer or distributor? Is your motor a diesel? Most ignition systems on gasoline motors can't handle being under water for more than a short period of time. Water seeps into electronics, wiring, and soon you're stranded. Is your firewall actually sealed up well? (Hint: most are not and water will start coming into the cab pretty quick)

Research some of the offroad websites and you'll get some ideas of other areas of concern.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:23:31 PM EDT
Buy a Horse and teach him how to hold its breath...?????......lol
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:37:52 PM EDT
Oh man... Get a Tatra 813 Soviet-surplus truck, outfit it with a snorkel system after water-proofing the cab and engine, and put a hardshell over the bed of the truck instead of that tarp.

Better yet, get the armored version.

Those things are mean SOB's. Haul troops, munitions, tow tanks and large trucks, and they'll go just about anywhere. Outfit them to make it through low water crossings more reliably and you've got the makings of the ultimate off-road vehicle.

Now you can bug out with your family, entire gun and ammo stockpile, and go just about anywhere you want to.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:29:04 PM EDT

You mean like this?

Swimming Deuce

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:32:17 PM EDT
UNIMOG!!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:32:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Merlin:

You mean like this?

Swimming Deuce

Merlin

Haha, cant imagine shes all that fast underwater.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:33:01 PM EDT
Trade it in on a Pinzgauer!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:36:01 PM EDT
You will also have to tie up the axle/transmission/transfer case into the vent system.
Top Top