Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 2:09:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

I was just trying to figure out the same not 10 minutes ago.

I'm lost in photochop anyways. I can resize.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a lot of Watermark software available for around $30 but I think you can do it in Photoshop.

I'm at work and can't try it now but I would think you could use layers to set a watermark and opacity then merge the layers...???
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You oughta ask one of the sigforums mods, they like watermarks a lot
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ain't that the truth!

Danny
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I made my own by copying and pasting together images and text. To get the faded transparent look I use a feature in my Microsoft “Picture It” editing software.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
In Photoshop or GIMP, overlay another pic on top of the origional and adjust the transparency till it's like you want it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
To use two images already posted by QUIB--
1) open the AR15 pic.
2) make another layer over it, and copy&paste the helicopter pic into the new layer
3) select JUST the helicopter pic/layer and then inverse the image (it should now be a white helicopter on a black background)
4) slide the helicopter pic over a dark part of the rifle image
5) change the helicopter's layer blend mode to "lighten" (the black background should disappear now, leaving only the white parts visible)
6) adjust the helicopter-pic layer's transparency down to 20% or so.
7) flatten the image into one layer.

The rifle pic given is rather a poor example; ideally you want the image to be very-dark colored with a lightening watermark or a very-light image with a darkening watermark. Or with this one, you could add in a darker background as the base layer, and set the rifle layer (#2) as "darken", and adjust the background's layer until it is rather light. And you often have to put a layer behind the foreground object and paint white behind it, to keep it from disappearing into the dark background.  
~
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#8]
PS, layers and transparency
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:55:18 AM EDT
[#9]
it depends on what you mean by watermark. If you mean the example of the little helicopter under the rifle, then it is as simple as layers in photoshop.

If you are referring to digital watermarking with actual data, then photoshop can do that to.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a good step by step tutorial at Russell Brown Show  Look for Digital Watermark Branding

Pretty good information if you can get past the weird personality.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:02:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is a lot of Watermark software available for around $30 but I think you can do it in Photoshop.

I'm at work and can't try it now but I would think you could use layers to set a watermark and opacity then merge the layers...???

Yep
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Not perfect, but illustrates the idea anyway:

~
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not perfect, but illustrates the idea anyway:
www.norcom2000.com/users/dcimper/assorted/mischief/ar_d93j_marked.jpg
~

I've always thought examples like that were gay. People are so concerned about their insignificant intellectual property floating around on the internet. I can understand a professional photographer doing it who's trying to sell non watermarked prints of course. But stuff like what the sig forum mods do is just plain gay. OMG THIS PICTURE IS MINE!

The first example Quib gave isn't an eyesore at all. It's when they plaster it across the main focus of the picture that it becomes stupid.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've always thought examples like that were gay. People are so concerned about their insignificant intellectual property floating around on the internet. I can understand a professional photographer doing it who's trying to sell non watermarked prints of course. But stuff like what the sig forum mods do is just plain gay. OMG THIS PICTURE IS MINE!

There are other reasons to mark pictures besides the whiny SIGforums.

For instance, I was making a little money selling custom models on eBay.  A copycatter saw I was sucessful and decided to do the exact same model.  Except his looked like shit.  So instead of using his own pictures he just started using mine.  This pissed me off because people who bought his would get a model that didn't look like the picture.  Plus when buyers saw the two auctions, they might think that I was that asshole.

Now I watermark the pictures so there's no question where they came from.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot me an IM, ill give you my email and i will do it for ya.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
....The first example Quib gave isn't an eyesore at all. It's when they plaster it across the main focus of the picture that it becomes stupid.

Yea, but (normally) the whole point is to put it where it cannot easily be removed.
Where he put it, anyone with a decent image program could wipe it away in all of thirty seconds.
You can't do that with mine, because I put it right across the middle of the subject. Get it?
~
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....The first example Quib gave isn't an eyesore at all. It's when they plaster it across the main focus of the picture that it becomes stupid.

Yea, but (normally) the whole point is to put it where it cannot easily be removed.
Where he put it, anyone with a decent image program could wipe it away in all of thirty seconds.
You can't do that with mine, because I put it right across the middle of the subject. Get it?
~

I could get rid of that pretty easily.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]
do a transparent embossing right across the image and it will be a bitch to remove

eta: linky (pdf from adobe)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#20]
My camera came with watermark software, although I have never used it. My point is that you should check your own software package for options. I agree that it has its uses, like on an online auction site as previously mentioned.

I found this one online, but I don't know how useful it would be. All I can say about it is that it's free:

www.softwarevault.com/Download/Watermark-Factory---advanced-watermark-creator-Download

Report back if you try it. I'm curious about it now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay, how easy is this to remove?

-though I admit it is a bit difficult to see. The small size and jpeg format of the original pics is a bit lacking for such purposes.....

-------
I know that I have read that a lot of the guys on the nightvisiononline forums use watermarking "right over the center" of their images they post to eBay, because otherwise scammers steal their pics and use them in fraudulent auctions.  
~
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are other reasons to mark pictures besides the whiny SIGforums.

For instance, I was making a little money selling custom models on eBay.  A copycatter saw I was sucessful and decided to do the exact same model.  Except his looked like shit.  So instead of using his own pictures he just started using mine.  This pissed me off because people who bought his would get a model that didn't look like the picture.  Plus when buyers saw the two auctions, they might think that I was that asshole.

Now I watermark the pictures so there's no question where they came from.

If it has to do with the sale of something, I can understand. Some people like to plaster their watermark all over photos so they get their credit that "THIS PICTURE IS MINE!" If you are looking at this picture, you owe me! It is like... photo ejaculation!

I love to save reference photos from the movie Aliens and stuff related to it. Most people don't do it, but it just ruins the picture when they do.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#23]
it looks like shit, floppy. sorry

here:
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I know that's how most places tell you to do it, but it's really not hard to remove with the clone stamp. Only the lettering edges has to be removed.  
At the least you should leave the watermark filled 20% or so (with a copy of the same image) and jack with the hue/saturation, to throw off the image content inside the watermark a bit.

Once again--not perfect, but not hardly impossible to get perfect:

Can you get mine off?
~
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I know that's how most places tell you to do it, but it's really not hard to remove with the clone stamp. Only the lettering edges has to be removed.  
At the least you should leave the watermark filled 20% or so (with a copy of the same image) and jack with the hue/saturation, to throw off the image content inside the watermark a bit.

Once again--not perfect, but not hardly impossible to get perfect:
www.norcom2000.com/users/dcimper/assorted/mischief/IMG_1658z2_edit.jpg
Can you get mine off?
~

no...because you've fucked up your picture badly.

is your object to make your pictures look bad? Or is it to dissuade that majority of people that would use it?

eta: you're not going to get mine off and have it look anywhere near perfect in a reasonable amount of time

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Those anal bastards are like rabid dogs piss marking on every thing they see.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Well we know with some time and talent that even the best digital water marks can be removed or damn near removed. The image I posted is a bad example I know, but I was simply trying to post a basic example of a watermark.

And I don't blame anyone thats posting a decent looking pic on this site for adding a watermark. I recently started adding them my self after images were stolen from me for profit by others.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If it has to do with the sale of something, I can understand.

Here's a case of slimeball using someone else's picture on ebay and trying to pass it off as their own. Now THAT'S what I call a watermark!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm trying to find a way to get a not too obnoxious watermark on my photos.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I got it.  I'm using Gimp and i took my picture, added an alpha layer to it.  Inserted my text, rotated it and changed the transparency to 17%.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

There's all kinds of shit they will try to sell you, stuff that you can do already in PS.

Basic:  Write your text, set opacity to ~ 60%
Intermediate: Create an action to write your text, set opacity, do bevel/drop shadows, etc..
Advanced:  Write your text, set opacity, do bevel/drop shadows, etc... then create  a custom shape from it.  That way it's easy to drop in and resize given different photos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top