Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/20/2006 9:04:15 AM EDT
Ok - you guys seem to know everything.

I just put in hardwood/laminate floors. I ripped out the old school door casing/baseboard before I started. To finish the job, I need to install new baseboard. I have the new boards, they are primed white.

I know I will need to measure and miter cut the boards to fit. That is a given. Here are my questions:

Do I glue/caulk/seal the back of the board to the wall? It seems my old basboards were caulk sealed to the wall, and nailed.

My plan was something like this:

1. Measure and miter cut boards.

2. Paint them white before install to lessen the amount of paint work once installed.

3. Caulk/liquid nail the back side of them, and install them.

4. Nail them into place (do I just nail on the verticle stud lines? I dont think I can nail into the base 2x4.) Do I nail then in a crevice of the baseboard pattern, or on a flat area?

5. Caulk/seal/putty the corner joints and ends into the door casings.

6. Touch up paint the ends/corners and putty/paint the nail areas.

Is this correct?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:13:11 AM EDT
Use liquid nails or something else similar to hold them in place. That is easier in my opinion. Plus, it holds great. No touch up afterward either.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:15:32 AM EDT
I've never seen baseboards with liquid nail on the backside.

Paint.
Nail,
Caulk the seam and plug the nail holes.
Touchup paint.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:19:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 9:19:49 AM EDT by Greenhorn]
I've never used glue, and I have rarely seen baseboards with glue.

No, you don't need glue, just nails every foot or two.

If you use a brad nailer you won't even need to touch it up afterwords.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:19:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Ok - you guys seem to know everything.

I just put in hardwood/laminate floors. I ripped out the old school door casing/baseboard before I started. To finish the job, I need to install new baseboard. I have the new boards, they are primed white.

I know I will need to measure and miter cut the boards to fit. That is a given. Here are my questions:

Do I glue/caulk/seal the back of the board to the wall? It seems my old basboards were caulk sealed to the wall, and nailed.

My plan was something like this:

1. Measure and miter cut boards. OK

2. Paint them white before install to lessen the amount of paint work once installed. OK

3. Caulk/liquid nail the back side of them, and install them. OK

4. Nail them into place (do I just nail on the verticle stud lines? I dont think I can nail into the base 2x4.) Do I nail then in a crevice of the baseboard pattern, or on a flat area? I nailed to the vertical stud lines. If you try to go low enough to hit the sill, the board might tilt out on you and make it a pain. It depends on how wide your board is, but I put the nail in a flat area.

5. Caulk/seal/putty the corner joints and ends into the door casings. Sealing the edge is good because the board will never stay perfectly flush with the drywall. Walls are never flat.

6. Touch up paint the ends/corners and putty/paint the nail areas. OK. You can countersink the nails too and putty the dimple. Cleans it up a bit.

Is this correct?

Sounds like you got it covered to me.
Top Top