Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 7:12:49 AM EDT
First off, I don't have anything against smokers, though I am a non-smoker, and I don't (understandably) like the smell of cigarette smoke.  That being said, I purchased a used pair of Colt 1911 grips from someone and when I received them in the mail, the smell was HORRIBLE.  Now, these are a rubberish type grip, so they are porous, and obviously absorb the smoke from the previous owner.  I didn't think it would be a problem and just left them outside for a week.  After the week, I checked them and there wasn't much difference - still a very bad, strong smoke smell.  I then used Febreeze on them, and just SOAKED them in the stuff, and let it sit...  The smell went away...  until they dried and then it was back - same as before.  I tried it again, this time scrubbing them.  Still no go.  I then threw them in a sink full of dish soap and very hot water and let them soak for an hour or so...  still no improvement.  These things still smell like cigarette smoke, and I don't know how to get it out.  Not a big deal except that putting the grips on the gun and then putting it in the safe make the safe (and other potentially porous things in it) smell like cigarette smoke.  Does anyone know how to get the smell out, or do I just need to buy new grips?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno how much your time is worth.  I would just get more gips.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#2]
leave em out in the sun.
Put them in a ziplock bag with charcoal.
It absorbs odor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#3]
just a wild ass guess, but have ya thought about soakin' 'em in febreeze??
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You should not let your firearms smoke.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't sniff my guns.  Do you also sniff pickles?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
just a wild ass guess, but have ya thought about soakin' 'em in febreeze??

From the original post:

<snip>...I then used Febreeze on them, and just SOAKED them in the stuff..<snip>
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]
why not just put a bit of CLP or other oikl on them to mask the smell?

Otherwise, charcoal in  bag in the sun like was already said
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I think this would be a good question to "Ask Heloise".

www.heloise.com

Odor Buster Hints

www.heloise.com/odor.html

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You should not let your firearms smoke.

Aw, why'd you have to say that?
Now I gotta respond...

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]
nicorette, of course
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]
dip the grips in a bowl of Pine Sol.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
maybe I should think about READING
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't sniff my guns.  Do you also sniff pickles?

I've yet to see one of your 7000+ posts that is not sarcasic in nature.  
There's no "sniffing" here.  It's so bad that if I put them on a gun and put it in the safe, when I open it later, it's almost as if a huge puff of cigarette smoke was blown out of it.  Now, since I don't smoke, have never smoked and no one in my family does (or ever has) then I am probably more sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke, but I got these for a gun I'd like to use as a carry piece without smelling like I took a "smoke break".  

Anyway, some good suggestions guys - thanks.  I did try some CLP on them, and it worked in masking the smell for a few hours, but nothing permanent.  I'll have to try putting them in a ziplock baggie with some charcoal and laying it out in the 100 degree AZ sun and see if that works.  If not, I'll try some of those "odor buster hints" and see how they work.

1. If you have plastic bowls or dishes that smell simply make a paste of baking soda and water and rub all over the surface. Let set overnight then rinse well.
2. If the sink in your kitchen or bathroom smells, give this a try: put in 1/2 cup baking soda and then follow with 1 cup of cheap household vinegar. Let it foam and bubble, then follow by running cold water for at least 30 seconds or longer. If there is a sink that is seldom used, pour in some plain old vinegar to kill the bacteria that causes the bad smell.

3. If your cutting board smells from onions, garlic or even fish, pour on a little vinegar, let it set a minute or two, wipe, rinse, and the odor should be gone. If your hands have also absorbed the odor, rub them together with vinegar and rinse. You can also use mouthwash or toothpaste as deodorizer.

4. Don't waste your money on commercial potpourri! Here's the Heloise formula to cook up your very own refreshing and cleansing citrus deodorizer. Fill a large pot with water and simply add any citrus (lemon is wonderful as are orange and grapefruit) rind or even slices or leftover wedges. Put in some cinnamon sticks (or a dash of cinnamon) and then simmer on low heat. You can spice this up by adding apple peels or slices, other spices such as nutmeg or allspice, and even a peppermint stick or candy.

CAUTION: Do not leave this on the stove unattended and don't let it boil dry.

5. Lemon and orange extract are just the thing to freshen up any room! You can dab some on a cotton ball, place in a bowl or small jar with lid (punch holes in it to let the fragrance out) and place around a room, closet or even in your automobile.

CAUTION: Extracts are concentrates that have a very high alcohol content and should not be used around small children or where pets may ingest them. Do not let the extract come in direct contact with any wood, painted surface, marble or granite.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#14]
tannerite
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Try the ziploc with baking soda.  Might help.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Try wiping them on a live skunks ass.  I've heard that will get the ciggy smoke smell out of 'em.  

Seriously, what about soaking them in a 50/50 bleach and water solution for a day or two?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd put them in a bag with baking soda for a day or two.  I used baking soda to remove the foul stench that was coming from my hockey skates.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#18]
the sun and the charcoal are menant to be two separate remedies.

Leave in the sun, in the open.  The heat should evaporate the odor out faster.

The charcoal is supposed to absorb the odor.  The bag leaves nothing else to be absorbed from outside.  Just grip odor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#19]
what a PIA
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#20]
vinegar is your friend
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#21]
BOIL THEM IN OIL!!!!  

Wait... maybe just soapy water?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
vinegar is your friend

If women can use it as a douche I can't see any harm in useing it to get the smoke odor out of a set of pistol grips.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I dont smoke but I like the smell of cigars and pipe tobacco, I wish my grips smelled like an old wooden cigar box.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Check out the hunting section at your local WalMart.  When I got my first deer gun, dad bought a leather sling for it.  The sling had a very strong leather odor to it.  Dad got some stuff called "No Scents" and put on it.  No leather smell anymore!  I don't know how it worked, but it did.

J
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Have you tried 'Simple Green' ?  I've found it to be amazing stuff, for cleaning stains like grease and oil.   Good possiblilty it may do the trick, plus it smells all nice and wintergreeny fresh her  haha

Now, I had another thought, but its a bit more drastic....  Oven cleaner... (spray on kind - foamy gunk)  

That stuff dissolves just about anything.  I'd put em in a plate or something disposable (not plastic - might melt)  Though, I'd test the grips FIRST, and put a little dab of the gunk on the backside, to be sure it doesn't melt the grips !  h
Hopefully you won't have to go THAT drastic, but I figured I'd toss the idea out there, just in case.

Good luck !

JB
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#26]

tannerite

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top