Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:57:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 5:11:04 PM EST by WildApple]
Dog's behavior with plastic 8 inch jolly red egg seems strange

I got one of these odd shape plastic balls that is made so the dog can't seem to latch onto it.

My dog growls ferociously and pushes it around the yard

I never thought much of it, but noticed today that she won't leave it or come or mind any commands while she is playing with this particular toy.

The dog is very good with commands otherwise

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:58:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 5:00:17 PM EST by Alien]
I don't know, but I've always wondered why they make dog toys red. Dogs can't see the color red as we do.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:38:55 PM EST
sounds like the giant plastic egg(big enough she cant carry it) I got for my lab to play with,its like crack for her and she will chase it until exhausted the uneven shape makes it bounce erratically and then when she tries to bite it and it shoots away again
it hilarious to watch,she doesnt growl at it though
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:40:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:43:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 5:43:32 PM EST by stutzcattle]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Training collar.
View Quote

You don't shock them hard enough to hurt. Just hard enough to turn their ears back on. Every once in a while I have to do it to our Aussie when we're moving cows. He gets focused and his ears quit working. A little zap turns his ears back on. It's science.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:48:35 PM EST
Give any female an 8" toy and they are sure to ignore you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:49:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:59:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 6:02:19 PM EST by akethan]
Ha, my GSD grips a round 10 " Jolly ball no problem. I've never seen an egg.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:07:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 6:09:26 PM EST by K-9_Trainer]
Originally Posted By stutzcattle:

You don't shock them hard enough to hurt. Just hard enough to turn their ears back on. Every once in a while I have to do it to our Aussie when we're moving cows. He gets focused and his ears quit working. A little zap turns his ears back on. It's science.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Training collar.

Don't take this wrong, I am not trying to be an ass but they are called e-collars not shock collars. I know what you are trying to say and you sort of right but I just hate the term "shocking" . E-collars if used properly are very effective. I recently used one to get a police K9 to recall. Nobody could get this dog to recall until they brought him to us and you would be surprised at how low of a setting I was able to use with him. If you are trying to shock the dog you are doing it wrong. Please don't just go out and buy one you need to find a trainer that knows what they are doing and get instruction on how to use the collar properly.

If you don't want to use an e-collar (they are expensive, about $350 + training), I would try a long line and leash with a prong collar. Again help from a professional is best but if you keep in mind you are just trying to get his attention, not hurt him he should be able to work it out.

Eta: sorry "she"
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:10:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
Give any female an 8" toy and they are sure to ignore you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

FTW. First thought.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:21:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By K-9_Trainer:

Don't take this wrong, I am not trying to be an ass but they are called e-collars not shock collars. I know what you are trying to say and you sort of right but I just hate the term "shocking" . E-collars if used properly are very effective. I recently used one to get a police K9 to recall. Nobody could get this dog to recall until they brought him to us and you would be surprised at how low of a setting I was able to use with him. If you are trying to shock the dog you are doing it wrong. Please don't just go out and buy one you need to find a trainer that knows what they are doing and get instruction on how to use the collar properly.

If you don't want to use an e-collar (they are expensive, about $350 + training), I would try a long line and leash with a prong collar. Again help from a professional is best but if you keep in mind you are just trying to get his attention, not hurt him he should be able to work it out.

View All Quotes

Training collar.

I don't know the difference between the "e-collar" and a "shock collar". I know mine gives them a buzz and is numbered from 1 to 8. I've shocked myself with all 8 levels. I've never hit the dog with more than 4.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:24:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 6:24:43 PM EST by thebeekeeper1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:27:40 PM EST

View All Quotes

Training collar.

Mine only needed about 4 zaps in his life, seems the warning beeb makes him smarter enough to deal cards when he gets hard headed.

And before the haters jump on me, I turned it wide open and zapped myself with it first. It hurts like a mother.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:35:24 PM EST
Some dogs get OCD over certain toys. Put this one up. It's not worth the discipline issues it will create with your dog. One of mine is like that with laser pointers. I can't pick up a flashlight without her going bonkers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:38:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
That kind of training is done with a lengthy check cord. Give the command then haul it in hand over hand. A few repetitions will usually gain compliance. If hardheaded use a choke collar.
View Quote

Doesn't work when you're horseback and the dog is working.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:43:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:46:22 PM EST

View All Quotes
That kind of training is done with a lengthy check cord. Give the command then haul it in hand over hand. A few repetitions will usually gain compliance. If hardheaded use a choke collar.

You don't train a dog basic commands such as "leave it, come" while on horseback with a "working" dog. This is done WELL BEFORE you take a dog out working while in horseback.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:51:52 PM EST

View Quote

Don't take this wrong, but I think what you are describing is a pinch collar, like this:

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:53:18 PM EST
No, he is right. Learn how to use an e-collar or dont use it at all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:53:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Thumbtack:

You don't train a dog basic commands such as "leave it, come" while on horseback with a "working" dog. This is done WELL BEFORE you take a dog out working while in horseback.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thumbtack:

No, you don't.
Top Top