Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 8:24:41 AM EDT
Put in my first SATA drive on a Socket 939 system running two IDE drives-it shows up in BIOS as well as device manager  for  XP (supposedly "working properly"), yet doesn't show up under "My hard drives." Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Put in my first SATA drive on a Socket 939 system running two IDE drives-it shows up in BIOS as well as device manager  for  XP (supposedly "working properly"), yet doesn't show up under "My hard drives." Any ideas?

Have you partitioned and formatted the drives?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The IDE drives are GTG and running Windows-would it be possible to format the SATA drive from a command line?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Right click on "My Computer".. click on "Manage"..

Find "Disk Management" in the "Computer Management" window and click on it..

It should show up there.. you will need to create a partition and format it..

If it is showing up in Device Manager then you should have the correct sata drivers.. I hope..
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The IDE drives are GTG and running Windows-would it be possible to format the SATA drive from a command line?

Another way (pdg45acp's works too):

Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Computer Management => Storage => Disk Management
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep a Windows 2000 install disc purely for formatting harddrives...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
You may need to initialize it before you can partition and format it. Same place listed above.

You may also have to enable SATA it in the BIOS.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Ended having to go through the command line and DISKPART function, but it's up and running now-thanks for all the answers!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top