Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 2:15:41 PM EDT
I don't want to do any major work, just make it look better.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:16:18 PM EDT
scrub it
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:18:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:26:20 PM EDT
Teak cleaner followed by brightener. They are available at marine hardware stores. Clean it spotless though are it won't look good after you oil it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:32:36 PM EDT
3 step kit I've got them for $31.95 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:35:58 PM EDT
We used to use ocsilic [sp] acid on the wood on the Coast Guard Cutter I was on...................We would wet the deck down with salt water.......spread some of the acid around [it was powder form] then scrub brush it to hell and back then rince with salt water.........dunno what the tree huggers would have to say about this!!..dunno if this will help you or not!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 2:49:29 PM EDT by ChrisLe]
There is no real way to maintain teak without doing a lot of work. Teak requires quite a bit of maintenance to maintain its beauty. The best method I've found is to first clean with a teak cleaner, follow up with multiple applications of teak oil, finish up with a sealer.

Some tips:
Cleaning - There are many commercially available teak cleaners that you can use. Just be sure to follow the manufacturers recommendations insofar as application of the product. Most single part cleaners use oxalic acid as the primary cleaning ingredient. Wet the teak and apply the cleaner, give it a few minutes to work, and then scrub it using a scotchbrite pat or bronze wool.. Be very careful with oxalic acid as it will stain fiberglass, aluminum, and painted surfaces. Be sure to wet down the surrounding surfaces to prevent this from happening..

Teak oil- Teak oil has to be 'soaked up' by the wood. You should start the process by thinning the initial coat of oil 20% with mineral spirits or turpentine in order to allow it to penetrate the wood better. Follow up with additional coats (full strength) to saturate the wood. Once saturated you should apply additional layers until the wood develops a nice matte finish with no shiny spots, and the wood can accept no more oil.

Sealer - The sealer is used to seal out moisture and dirt, and seal in natural oils and resins. Wait two weeks after the application of teak oil, clean and dry the surface, and then apply the sealer. Maintenance from now on is a matter of reapplying sealer every few months....

That's my procedure.....
Top Top