Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 1:22:10 PM EDT
Hey Folks,

How do I convert my existing WMA files to MP3??
Or better yet, what is the best program to use for ripping my CD's to MP3?  I would prefer this to be freeware and not shareware....although I would spend $25 if it was a really smoking program.

Thanks for the help,

JarHead94
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I use exact audio copy( freeware) to convert a perfect copy as a wav file on my computer.  Then I use musicmatch jukebox plus 7 (shareware, around $25.00-worth buying)to convert to mp3.

Look at this months MaximumPC magazine.  They talk about mp3 stuff including a bit on EAC and musicmatch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like you're using Windows XP and are ripping cds to WMA using Windows Media Player 8?  If this is the case, get this file: [url]http://www.speakeasy.org/~intense1/bink/MP3Pack.zip[/url] .  [;)]

Edited because I forgot to tell you what it is!  It's a program that will add MP3 encoding to Media Player 8.  So under your recording preferences, you can select MP3 instead of WMA.  It's pretty fast and also looks up album & song names.

For more cool XP stuff, look at [url]http://windowsxp.nu/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use Music Match 7.1 - rips CDs directly to mp3 files at 6X speed and even looks up the album, artist, etc and names the files to your specifications.  Organizes your music and can burn a CD directly from your playlist.  You can even add a photo (I use the album cover) to the mp3 tag that displays while the song is playing (I kind of thought that was cool).

Check your email in a little bit.
View Quote

just as a side note, Music Match will also convert your files from wav to mp3 and burn a copy.  Music match will also play video.  Most people use either Winamp or Music Match.  I just prefer Music Match, but you may want to check out winamp as well.  Many people swear by it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]

I thought Winamp was just a player, have they improved it?
View Quote

You can set the output to a file, instead of just playing.  Been an option for a long time I think...  I've forgotten exactly how you set it up to do it though, been awhile.  Think it under preferences/output, then it's in the settings on one of the output plugins I believe...  The diskwriter plugin, in it's settings you can select what type of file output you want, etc.  

Probably not the best way to do it though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]

I thought Winamp was just a player, have they improved it?
View Quote

They have all kinds of plugins to get it to do everything now.  That's kinda why I like Music Match better, it just seems designed to do what I use it for from the start.  I bought the lifetime upgrade thing, so it upgrades its self from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I found winamp a pain because you have to go in and reset the input/output preferences and I would always forget what they were. Musicmatch is much simplier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the help fellas.....I forgot to check this last night, but I will try it as soon as I get home from work.  What would I do without ya!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top