Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 5:23:45 PM EDT
the sub 'out'

to this type of connection (sub 'in')

only using wire and plugs (no tearing stuff apart [as much fun as that is ])

thanks,
dan
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
F*Ck if I know...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Its for powered subwoofers. Im assumeing yours is just the speaker itself?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That is the preout. The picture you posted seems to be just speaker connections. If this is the case, you need an amplifier. Sub pre-out -> Amplifier -> Subwoofer. The pre-out sends out a low voltage signal, the amplifier boosts it to more acceptable audio levels. You cannot connect a preout directly to a speaker
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
RCA cable.  go to radio shack, show somone who speaks english what you have, tell them what you need to do, and they will hook you up so you can hook it up.

ETA: if you can't make it work, you see what i do to delinquent electronics, so you will have to bring it to the next shoot!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the sub 'out'
akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/reviews/20031021/home_bass2a.jpg

to this type of connection (sub 'in')

www.dansdata.com/images/speakerkit/termplug560.jpg

?

thanks,
dan

Probably with an amplifier.  If the sub has no RCA inputs its probably non powered.  That sub out is line level, and you will be very dissappointed at the lack of sound it makes.  

ETA: beavo451 beat me to the answer.  

Also, if it is a very old powered sub, it may have speaker level inputs.  If so there should be right and left sets of those connectors.  You hook it up to the speaker outputs of your receiver, then to your normal front speakers.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
That signal out of the receiver is just that a signal.
The leads on your subwoofer are for power with lots o watts.
No where near enough power coming out of there.
Looks like you need a seperate subwoofer amp.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a 3 speaker Advent system:

the main channels from the receiver connect to the sub then the two satellites connect off the sub.

Therefore there is a crossover within the speaker, though I doubt there is any type of amp.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

the main channels from the receiver connect to the sub then the two satellites connect off the sub.

Therefore there is a crossover within the speaker, though I doubt there is any type of amp.

Then you can't use the receiver's sub pre-out.  It should work fine the way it is hooked up now, though, right?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you can't use the receiver's sub pre-out.  It should work fine the way it is hooked up now, though, right?

Turns out with this setup only "Stereo" function works correctly.  Dolby X.1 wont work right because the A-channels go THRU the sub to the satellites, so once the Dolby is 'enabled' is does the various cutoffs to the separate channels, so the 'bass' disappears .

So I wanted to separate the sub from the satellites (like a normal 'surround' setup)

Someone actually has my set for sale on ebay (no, not me )
LINK
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

thats a pic from the intarweb.  my receiver has both the 'pre-out' and the 'out'

here is the correct pic

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats a pic from the intarweb.  my receiver has both the 'pre-out' and the 'out'

here is the correct pic

akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/580/x580TXS503B-b.jpeg

but it dosen't have a big plastic nut that's labled sub out. so no go
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102955&cp

snip, strip, insert, and enjoy

yep, thats pretty close.  the other challenge is that there are two channels into the sub.  

may simply have to go with this:

Sony SA-WM250
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

here is the correct pic

akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/580/x580TXS503B-b.jpeg

but it dosen't have a big plastic nut that's labled sub out. so no go

I suspected as much

may have to finally cave and move into the 21st with the speaker systems
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
You do realize that the sub pre-out on the reciever is probably in milliwatts and the connector on your subwoofer needs and is designed to handle 100 watts or better.
Snipping and splicing will not do anything.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You do realize that the sub pre-out on the reciever is probably in milliwatts and the connector on your subwoofer needs and is designed to handle 100 watts or better.
Snipping and splicing will not do anything.

yep, that seems to be exactly the case

thanks for everyones help
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Turns out with this setup only "Stereo" function works correctly.  Dolby X.1 wont work right because the A-channels go THRU the sub to the satellites, so once the Dolby is 'enabled' is does the various cutoffs to the separate channels, so the 'bass' disappears .

Everyone has already explained that you can't hook the line-level subwoofer pre-out to a passive subwoofer, but did you try configuring your receiver to tell it that you have no subwoofer?  

There is usually a setup menu in which you can tell the receiver what speakers you have connected (as well as their sizes and placement).  If you tell the receiver that you have no subwoofer, then there is a reasonable chance that it will route the LFE (low frequency effects) through the left and right front speakers instead of separating the LFE and sending it to the unconnected sub out terminal.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone has already explained that you can't hook the line-level subwoofer pre-out to a passive subwoofer, but did you try configuring your receiver to tell it that you have no subwoofer?  

There is usually a setup menu in which you can tell the receiver what speakers you have connected (as well as their sizes and placement).  If you tell the receiver that you have no subwoofer, then there is a reasonable chance that it will route the LFE (low frequency effects) through the left and right front speakers instead of separating the LFE and sending it to the unconnected sub out terminal.

that would have involved reading the manual (which is crazy talk )
trying now
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#20]
tip & ring my firend
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah, I know.

Quoted:

trying now

If you are having a hard time finding the right section of the manual, it looks like "Speaker Configuration" on page 32 of the Onkyo TX-SR503 manual might be what you need.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know.

Quoted:

trying now

If you are having a hard time finding the right section of the manual, it looks like "Speaker Configuration" on page 32 of the Onkyo TX-SR503 manual might be what you need.

I did turn sub off.  Same situation as before, will keep trying the various options
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I did turn sub off.  Same situation as before, will keep trying the various options

Good luck.  Hopefully one configuration will do the trick.  Also make sure to configure the presence or absence of the center channel speaker.  The receiver might be trying to send LFE there if you tell it you have no subwoofer, and if you don't have a center channel speaker either...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.  Hopefully one configuration will do the trick.  Also make sure to configure the presence or absence of the center channel speaker.  The receiver might be trying to send LFE there if you tell it you have no subwoofer, and if you don't have a center channel speaker either...

turning off center channel works ...
awright, full disclosure :

got the sub/2 satellite speaker system (hooked up thru the two A channels, as designed)
Got the Onkyo TX SR-503 (a 7.1 receiver setup)
Got two satellite (additional) spkrs
Got one center channel spkr

wanted to separate out the sub from the two satellites and do the surround setup that way without having to buy new equipment.

but I'll have to go with the Sony sub listed above and separate out the current sub (I'll find something for it to do) and use the main speakers on channel A (the receiver has a freq cutoff function).
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

turning off center channel works ...

awright, full disclosure :

got the sub/2 satellite speaker system (hooked up thru the two A channels, as designed)
Got the Onkyo TX SR-503 (a 7.1 receiver setup)
Got two satellite (additional) spkrs
Got one center channel spkr

wanted to separate out the sub from the two satellites and do the surround setup that way without having to buy new equipment.

but I'll have to go with the Sony sub listed above and separate out the current sub (I'll find something for it to do) and use the main speakers on channel A (the receiver has a freq cutoff function).

Well, at least you gave it a good fight.  

I've not heard the particular Sony subwoofer you linked, but I suspect you will be happy with it.  I bought its bigger brother a while back when it was on sale for $200 at Circuit City and have been happy with it.    Circuit City doesn't seem to sell it anymore, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top