Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2003 10:19:30 AM EDT
I Was looking at a ballistics chart at the back of a gun mag but I dont know how to make heads or tails of it? how do Weight, Caliber, Velocity and energy interact with each other?

is there a general formula or something? My first query is this, On looking at hangun cartriges I noticed that 'hot' Calibers like 44 mag or 357 mag have high velocity and high energy while say the .25acp is low in both so does that mean the higher these numbers the better? It's confusing because for example in 9mm the lighter weight 115g bullet produces higher velocity and energy while the 147g produces lower numbers so should'nt the lighter bullet be better in any given caliber? or is energy only relative to bullet weight? I'm just so damn confused ? any good links that explain the relation between weight, energy, and velocity?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:33:13 AM EDT
[url]http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfly/index.htm#Top_of_page[/url] Mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:40:56 AM EDT
It's all about velocity IMHO. A lighter bullet moving at a faster velocity can have equal or greater energy than a heavier one. That is up to a point. Eventually, the weight will win out as they slow to equal velocities.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:02:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gun-fan: It's all about velocity IMHO. A lighter bullet moving at a faster velocity can have equal or greater energy than a heavier one. That is up to a point. Eventually, the weight will win out as they slow to equal velocities.
View Quote
While this may be important to you, IRL the most important aspect is [b]PENETRATION[/b], I'll take 12-18" evertime......, no matter the caliber. Lite-weight bullets moving at HV, generally, flunk my priority, listed above. Mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:33:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mr_wilson:
Originally Posted By Gun-fan: It's all about velocity IMHO. A lighter bullet moving at a faster velocity can have equal or greater energy than a heavier one. That is up to a point. Eventually, the weight will win out as they slow to equal velocities.
View Quote
While this may be important to you, IRL the most important aspect [red]to me[/red] is [b]PENETRATION[/b], I'll take 12-18" evertime......, no matter the caliber. Lite-weight bullets moving at HV, generally, flunk my priority, listed above. Mike
View Quote
there are some situations where a light weight fast mover is better than a slow heavy bullet. and vice versa. it just depends what you are planning on doing with it.
Top Top