Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 10:17:22 PM EDT
Found a rifle I like but is LH. Is swapping the stock out for a RH stock an option?

Thanks,

CW
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What type of action is it? Is it a thumbhole stock or something? Why would you need to change the stock? Yes it is possible though. Unless it's a bolt, then the bolt wouldn't close.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the tricky part is focusing your eye - at least it is for me.  I'm left eyed dominate but right handed.  I've recently started shooting left handed and am getting quite good at it.  Its still not as comfortable as my right but I think its habitual more than anything else.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think the tricky part is focusing your eye - at least it is for me.  I'm left eyed dominate but right handed.  I've recently started shooting left handed and am getting quite good at it.  Its still not as comfortable as my right but I think its habitual more than anything else.

Patty

how do you tell eye donimance?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The easiest way to explain over the internet is point at something qucikly with both eyes open and  then close one eye and then the other see which one lines up with your finger
Im cross eye dominate
they say its rare but i have net 4 people just like me in  the little IPSC club here
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the gun: Weatherby 30-378

CW
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
or put both your hands in front of you bring  your fingers and thumbs together so there is a triangle or spade shaped hole between them  look at something thorugh the hole with your arms  fully extended then slowly bring your hands back to you face while mantaining focus  the hole wil be over your domiate eye
man that is alot easy to just show someone then try to explain it
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The easiest way to explain over the internet is point at something qucikly with both eyes open and  then close one eye and then the other see which one lines up with your finger
Im cross eye dominate
they say its rare but i have net 4 people just like me in  the little IPSC club here

I am actually crossed eyed dominate as well but have better vision in my left eye so act left eyed dominate.

Its weird.  I'm trying to learn to shoot a rifle with both eyes open.  I shoot a pistol this way but a rifle, especially with a scope is more difficult.
As explained to me:  First locate an object in front of you - close one eye and place your thumb over the object.  When you open both eyes with out moving your thumb the object will remain covered if your eyes are equal or doubled if your dominance is crossed.  If its to the right then you're right eyed dominate, to the left [of your thumb] you're left eyed dominate.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Found a rifle I like but is LH. Is swapping the stock out for a RH stock an option?

Thanks,

CW

Just a guess, but if you found it LH, there is probably a lot more in RH. out there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

CW

Just a guess, but if you found it LH, there is probably a lot more in RH. out there.

Not in that caliber and that price. Plus the parts are very nice.

CW
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

CW

CW

OK, next newbie? Swapping a RH stock for a LH stock would make a difference? The action is what differs between LH and RH.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

CW

CW

OK, next newbie? Swapping a RH stock for a LH stock would make a difference? The action is what differs between LH and RH.

The stock is set up for a left handed shooter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

CW

CW

If I was hunting or competition shooting where time was of the essence, then you would be correct, the action is what is important. If all I am doing is target shooting in a non-competition environment, I don't really care which side the bolt lever is on. Granted, a RH stock would require some mods to work with a left hand action, but it wouldn't be a show stopper.

CW
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#14]
It's about as hard as being a left-handed dude trying to shoot a gun meant for a right handed world. IT SUCKS.

But you'll manage fine.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#15]
It is not a gun that you are going to be comfortable shooting.
I bet that if you get it, you wont shoot it much.
Remember, you will not be able to simply swap out the stock for a right handed one, as it has the left hand action.

Yeah, you could get a gunsmith to convert it all, but why spend the money when there are so many right handed guns on the market?

Personally, I think your money is better spent elsewhere .

Save this deal for a lefty...they have a hard time finding guns that fit them.

It should be easy as pie to find a deal on a right handed gun that you are comfortable shooting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm left handed & left eye dom.

I practice shooting rifle & pistols with both hands/eyes.  Several rifles I own, mostly the old ones, are right hand bolt but I've learned to operate the bolt while holding the pistol grip.  It usually requires lowering the rifle from my shoulder for the manuver.

However, I recommend you stick with right handed rifles no matter how good the deal is on WBY.  While it is a beautiful piece, it is afterall, a mass produced rifle & there are others that were built to fit a right handed shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top