Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 8:20:18 PM EST
I saw the post where they are opening it up to every MOS, can the non combat Arms guys hack it?
From the amount of people i know who dropped out i am guessing its pretty damn tough.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:33:23 PM EST
My friend is a 1st LT in the Rangers, and he said it was damn hard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:39:05 PM EST
I've heard that is it hard as hell to get into and even harder to stay in.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:03:08 PM EST
It changed from 58 days to 72 days back in the late 80's, what's it now?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:08:33 PM EST
Living by a military base, I've known a few Rangers. They never really talked much about it, however, they all had a presence about them that clearly defined them as someone not to fuck with. I trust my instincts.

-HS
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:21:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
I saw the post where they are opening it up to every MOS, can the non combat Arms guys hack it?
From the amount of people i know who dropped out i am guessing its pretty damn tough.

Yes Non-combat arms guys can hack it. Rgr Batt. sends everyone including the cook that made your omlet that morning and the admin. guy that processed the paperwork for you to go on leave.

Like someone just said, Rgr school is not that difficult it just sucks BIG TIME, plus you have to put up with punks and shitbags who were giving a slot then fall asleep on you during a nighttime raid and you get popped for slacking But I digress.....learn your knots before you go, read read read that Ranger handbook and don't swing and hit the RI while your doing pullups. Later
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:28:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By trdvet:

Yes Non-combat arms guys can hack it. Rgr Batt. sends everyone including the cook that made your omlet that morning and the admin. guy that processed the paperwork for you to go on leave.

Like someone just said, Rgr school is not that difficult it just sucks BIG TIME, plus you have to put up with punks and shitbags who were giving a slot then fall asleep on you during a nighttime raid and you get popped for slacking But I digress.....learn your knots before you go, read read read that Ranger handbook and don't swing and hit the RI while your doing pullups. Later

yeah that would suck, i dont think i could go with no sleep for days.

I did ok on 3-4 hrs a day during basic but none would kick my ass.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:22:16 PM EST
My guess is that ultimately Ranger School is like every other army school. If you have the -will- to pass it, barring any aptitude or intelligence problems, then you will simply take everything that's thrown at you, survive, and learn from it. A will-to-pass and an aptitude for leadership are not things which one leaves at the door when one enters a non-combat arm. I see no reason they shouldn't pass.

NTM <--- Not gone to RS
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:32:28 PM EST
Ranger school is about will and intestinal fortitude. Read the Ranger Creed, that short creed speaks volumes. Depending on your background and experience level, you may learn a few things about patrolling, mountaineering, etc while there, but the thing you will learn the most about is yourself. The purpose of the school is to teach and test your ability to lead under stressful conditions. That is accomplished through having you lead small units on combat patrols under simulated combat conditions in different environments, FT Benning’s forests, mountain phase at Camp Merrill in Georgia, and the swamp phase at camp Rudder, Florida (the desert phase is gone). Additional stresses are added in a number of ways including food and sleep deprivation. While in camp you were allotted 4 hrs of sleep but usually got less by the time you got everything ready for the next days training and 3 meals a day, one hot and 2 MRE’s. While in the field it can be anywhere from 3 hours sleep to none, but usually averaged out to about 1 1/2 hours a night, with one or two meals a day depending on the time of year. Winter is two meals, summer is one. You are evaluated on your performance in leadership positions by the RI's. You are also evaluated by your fellow students at the end of each phase in peer reports. The peer reports weed out the pretenders and "Spotlight Rangers", those that only perform when being observed or when being graded. When you show up on day one you take a PT test and if you pass and have a slot, you are on your way, if you stick it out and make it through, you come out the other end having earned the RANGER Tab. About half the people that started on day one get to that point. Some quit, get hurt, fail leadership position grades, or get peered out. I don’t know what the current policy is on being recycled. The basic concept and execution stays the same even though the school changes slightly from year to year. If a person has the mental toughness to make it through, they will. If they don’t, they won’t. It has nothing to do with what their MOS is. Although having a combat arms background would be a advantage, a hard charging support type can (and they have) make it through. However, I would advise anyone who just wants to go to get a “TAB”, their motives will betray them at some point and they will be disappointed in the results (those types are usually part of the 50% that don’t make it). Like I said before, Ranger school is not hard, it just sucks, and it is the big SUCK.

JD
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:50:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By barkley-addict:

62-64days
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:41:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 7:43:03 PM EST by Sylvan]

Originally Posted By tyman:

Originally Posted By barkley-addict:

62-64days

yeah, if you go straight through.
Has anyone mentioned Ranger school sucks yet?
The RTB has gotten back to recycling. For a while, if you no goed for patrols or peers, they kicked you out. Happened to two friends of mine who failed primaries in Florida!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:49:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Silesius:
I've heard that is it hard as hell to get into and even harder to stay in.

what ,Battalion? or Ranger school.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:51:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By trdvet:

And be good at land nav.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:40:30 PM EST
I know 2 people who have been through it. One went through in the 80's, the other last year. When I talked to my friend last summer who had just gotten through it and all he said was "It was not fun!". He's in the 82nd ABN and on his way to the stan' next month, or really soon according to his parents.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:20:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:43:05 PM EST
I'm still wondering how my father managed to become a Green Beret. Fucking deadbeat. Explosive temper, slept all day (one reason my mom divorced him; She also had to mow the fucking yard while she was pregnant!), lazy mother fucker. I'll never understand. Here's your child support and a 10 minute visit, see you next month.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:05:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
They took desert phase out.

seems like that would be the most important?
Top Top