Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/18/2004 12:30:28 AM EST
Well?? How did you get into firearms and shooting?

I think for me, it was when I was a little kid - around 8. My brother was in the National Guard and he would tell me of his time with his unit and the cool toys they got to play with... Well, needless to say, I was even marvelled with my brother's craptastical (prev-owner didn't take care of it) 1903A3. I mean, I was looking at that thing and was amazed at how this could shoot a bullet - just the mechanics of it all. I was amazed and wanted to know everything about how they operated... how they worked, what made guns different from one model to the next.

I simply was hooked. When I looked a firearms, I saw it was interesting as hell - AND FUN! Shooting a tin can and watching it get knocked off a log... That was fricken awesome (and still is)! I can't explain why it was fun, it was just like driving fast or sex, it was fun and was ment to be it. It was just awesome to watch shit get pulverized.

Then I had to learn firearms discipline. My brother knew that a weapon commanded respect and knowledge. He told me that someone who is incapable of using a firearm is not deserving of having one - and I believed him. He teached he how to handle a weapon properly and safely and how to be careful of ones' surroundings and and what the firearm is capable of. Now, this wasn't as fun as watching holes get poked in a tin can, but we can all agree it was absolutely necessary.

And, from there, I got money, got interested more and more until buying a firearm was almost a necessity... And, that ladies and gentlemen, is how I am the proud owner of a SAR-1. Amazing that I learned firearms ownership on such a caliber.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:39:55 AM EST
Dad bought a .22 when we moved out of the 'burbs. Then somebody put a semiauto in my hand and things went downhill from there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:42:09 AM EST

I was born into it I guess.

My father hunted with an open sight M1 Garand national match rifle with a star grade barrel which had been shot at the camp Perry trials.

So for me, owning military rifles is as natural as wearing tennis shoes.

My father believed strongly in self relience as well.. He had been born on ranch, and was a very young man as the family went thru the depression. So self relience was the watch word.

Collecting and using guns and knives is second nature with me.

Also I have trained in certain military arts for almost fourty years, so it all fits in.

And though am very open minded about peoples freedom, I have very old western ideas about honor and such. And owning current military style rifles fits right in with believing in freedom and having the ablity to defend it. As well as defend me and mine.

In my world, a man without a rifle and the ability to use it, is useless as tits on a boar.

I know at times my opinions and ideas seem very odd and strange to most people on AR15.com, but where I live, very old ideas survive and are still a very live thing.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:47:27 AM EST
My dad got my older brother an I a Daisy powerline 880? rifle. My dad stuck a bunch of stale necco wafers on a strip of masking tape and I shot necco wafers all day and my brother wasn't hitting anything. Pops was impressed and I kinda became the owner of the rifle after that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:52:02 AM EST
My grandfather was a soldier in the British Army. He was in the Parachute Regiment and the Black Watch Regiment and maybe another Regiment. Served in WW2 and in the Malayan conflict in the 50's.

I grew up listening to his stories and admiring him.

I got the bug from him.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:03:13 AM EST
My dad took us hunting as kids all the time. He wasn't much of a target shooter, though. When I was about 11 or 12 my cousin lets us shoot his SP1. I've been hooked ever since and the Marines made the disease worse.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:05:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:12:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 2:13:36 AM EST by chrome1]
It's unique unto me in my family and I'm the youngest . No one else owned guns of any kind . When I was 9-10 when I bugged the crap outta my parents to purchase a Daisy Cub for me with $17 that I had saved up for almost a year and that's all it took . By the time I was 13 I had a Rem Nylon 66 and a Savage single shot .410 . My collection built up into my late 20's when I sold everything I had to get a down payment on a house .

Then I took a Long break in firearm ownership because my new wife was deathly afraid of having guns in the house with young children so I reluctantly complied . ( Yeah I was stupid ) .... Till one day when my youngest was about 10 years old and I remembered back to my youth and the joy that shooting gave me . I went out and bought a Crosman 760 and a Ruger 10/22 . I came home and used Logic and Reason on the wife until her brain overheated and she gave in that the children are better off understanding firearms and how to responsibly handle and respect them , then not .

Then about 6 years later the wife and I parted ways amicably .... And I no longer had the pressure of keeping the peace in a relationship to hold me back from perusing my hobby with zeal

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:26:14 AM EST
I was brought up in an anti-gun house. My grandfather (who was a bit of a black sheep) understood that I'm nothing like my father--I always wanted to be outdoors, hunting, fishing, ect, while dad is happy going to the movies or to the mall. Grampa used to rescue me from boring family get togethers by taking me out behind the barn with his old Remington Model 33 single shot .22 and popping tin cans, rodents, and such. I was 6 when he told me that the old mod 33 was mine but had to be kept at his house until he could convince my parents that I was responsible enough to keep it myself.
I was 9 when Grampa passed, and my folks weren't going to ignore his wishes--not too happy about it, but I got the entire gun collection--my .22, a few shotguns, few rifles and an old .32 Colt police (with a bent barrel...looked like it was used as a hammer?)

All my siblings are now armed--I have spread the disease! We now have our own family get togethers, and EVERYONE is out behind the barn with the ARs, 308s and assorted handguns. This year, my 5 y/o daughter is going to try out the Mod 33
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:43:19 AM EST
must have been the bb gun fights we used to get into as kids, nearly lost my eyeball.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:51:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:00:35 AM EST
My Dad took me out to Camp Pendleton during the last time he qualified on the M-14.
A few of the Marines brought their kids and set-up a small range for BB guns and .22's.

I spent my time shooting the BB guns and the .22's, and when it was over my dad gave me a Crossman pump bb gun.

That was all it took.

He used to take me and my friends to a pistol/rifle range in Trabucco Canyon out past Cooks Corner, one time he even took me out of school to go shooting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:08:01 AM EST
Dad. I remember shooting bb guns with him when I was 4 or so. Since then it has been a part of me. It's funny when somebody calls it a hobby when refering to me. I quickly correct them for some reason. I guess I'm just anal as to how important it is to me. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:10:58 AM EST
When the Caliban told me I couldn't have an AR-15.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:25:15 AM EST
My father was a gun dealer and an avid shooter, so I guess it just came naturally...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:28:52 AM EST
Dad started taking me deer hunting when I was eight. He carried a rifle and I carried my hatchet. I would make so much noise that a few times he even left the gun in the car (no point carrying it up a tree with me chopping!). But I learned.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:30:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:32:41 AM EST
My dad hunted, but my interest came when I joined the rifle club in High School. The target .22 owned by the ROTC department got me in touch with recruiters who were happy to let us shoot m16's in hopes that we would join up(damn medical problems). That is what got me interested in AR's.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:35:42 AM EST
The AWB. I'm not kidding either. Never owned a firearm until the fall of 1994.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:44:23 AM EST
My Dad has taken me shooting ever since I was knee-high to a horse. I've simply always seen it as a part of life. You wake up, shoot, eat, brush your teeth, you go to bed.

Ever since I joined the Army, it's simply turned from an activity to a way of being. Especially since I'm in the Infantry, we simply do everything with guns.

I can't see how you wouldn't want that to overflow into your private life.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:53:55 AM EST
Girlfriend bought me a Guns&Ammo subscription.

Hooked on guns - turned into a Republican.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:54:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 6:04:45 AM EST by Greenhorn]
I got into guns very late.

I always loved gun games, like Delta Force, Flashpoint, etc., but I did not know anything about guns or gun laws. Anything at all. I didn't know what gas-operated meant, the only caliber I knew the name of was .22, I did not know that pistol bullets went much slower than rifle bullets . . . I knew next to nothing. I desperately wanted to own an M-4 because of the coolness factor, but I figured that only military people or people with a special license could own guns like they had in the game. I thought that only shotguns, handguns, and hunting rifles were legal for civilians to own. Wow, I'm almost ashamed to admit my extreme ignorance now. I never actually remember hearing specifically that they were illegal, but I'm sure I heard politicians like Feinswine out of the corner of my ears over the years. Those bastards made me a late bloomer.

Then, one day about two and a half years ago, I was in my apartment when my younger brother called and excitedly told me that he shot an AK-47 with his friend's father's friend. I did not know much about guns, but I certainly knew what an AK-47 was. As I said, I thought they were illegal, so I was very surprised. When I visited home I excitedly watched the video he had made. I kicked myself for not finding out that they were legal sooner. I was also excited to learn that since I was 19, I was old enough to buy one! Soon I looked in the phone book for locations of gun stores, found Target World, went there and rented a gun and shot it. That was the first time I had ever shot a gun, other than air pistols and rifles. I noticed that they had all sorts of military-looking weaponry in the gun racks. I did a little research, I googled and found Arfcom and became a member, and then later I went back to the gun store and bought an AR-15. Buying that gun gave me a huge sense of responsibility, so I worked fast at learning all I could about guns, gun safety, and gun laws. Now I am highly-knowledgeful in all matters of gun mechanics, gun safety, gun laws, etc. Well, not really, but I'm still kinda knowledgeful.

Within a year I bought a Savage .308 at Target World, a Romanian SAR-1 at Aim Surplus, an old Westernfield 12-gauge at a flea market and a nice Argentine hi-power 9mm at a gun show.

I am the only gun nut, or gun owner for that matter, in my 9-member family. Well, actually my dad has an old bolt-action .22, but he never uses it. My family certainly is not anti-gun. Quite the opposite. They just aren't very interested.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:58:44 AM EST
tagged
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:28:58 AM EST
My father had a bolt action .22 that he kept in the closet.
I was only around 8 years old but I used to dream about firing that rifle, but I never got to fire it because we lived in NYC.

That summer we rented a cabin in the Catskill Mountain area upstate NY, and on the way we passed a gun store. My father wanted to trade in his rifle for a double barrel shotgun, so we went in. I think it was called Numrich Arms.

Inside, the rack and a small table behind the counter were both full of Thompson's. They had many variations lying around, some in pieces, most fully assembled, and they really caught my eye, especially the ones with the drum magazine inserted...
I was a huge fan of the original 'Untouchables' TV show where seeing the Tommy gun in action was my favorite thing to watch...

Being so close to all those Thompsons was a dream come true. I didn't even notice the racks of regular rifles and shotguns all around me as I was fixated on the Thompsons.

Through the large split doors behind the counter, I was able to see two guys shooting the Thompsons out back. The excitement I felt from watching these shooters was the final element needed to hook me for life.

My father got his shotgun, even though I BEGGED him to get a Thompson!
I still have that shotgun today, even though I never fired it.

I got a Red Ryder that summer and I shot it all day long, but it would be another decade before I fired my first live round in a real firearm...

...I remember that clearly too...

It was a very salty Vietnam era M16A1, courtesy of the United States Marine Corps, but it was the sweetest rifle I ever saw, and she was true.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:33:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By KA3B:

He used to take me and my friends to a pistol/rifle range in Trabucco Canyon out past Cooks Corner, one time he even took me out of school to go shooting.

You do realize you quite possibly had the best father on earth, right?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:36:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By BusMaster007:
Girlfriend bought me a Guns&Ammo subscription.

Why can't I met a girl like that?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:38:43 AM EST
I shot right out of my mother and have been shooting since.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:51:32 AM EST
Born into it (my take on it).
Father had just finished a stint in the Marine Corps and was working as a Sheriffs Deputy in Sherman, Texas (1970). When I was around 3 he went into the USAF (I think an E5) and grew up around places like Whiteman, Oahu, Ellington, Lackland. My dad went on to work at another P.D.
I was exposed to firearms and the likes from basically day 1. Spent 5 years in the Young Marines-Henry Nichols Detachment. Did the Boy Scouts,..... ROTC in High School....... U.S. Marine Corps at 18 ........(GW1)............. Hunted with my brothers (I have 5).
From the looks of it, I almost didn't have a choice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:05:35 AM EST
This is a great thread!

I grew up on a farm/ranch in south/eastern AZ.

Dad always had a gun in the truck 10/22.

I had a subscription to "The Shotgun News", when I was like 11 years old. Back when they had advertisements for every thing. It was about that time when I took some solder to my 10/22 to make it full auto. it ran for about 15 rounds then it half way blew the rim off the case, of one of the rounds.

Scared me silly.

Took the solder out and learned to pull the trigger really fast.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:12:23 AM EST
I got the bug from a one legged, hair lipped mexican whore....

still can't get rid of it
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:18:48 AM EST

My Dad was in Small Arms in USAF. There wasn't too many issued weapons (and non-issued) that I hadn't fired by the time I was 10yr's old. (50's-60's era)
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:37:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 9:14:22 AM EST by Winston_Wolf]
... At the age ripe of 16, some high school buddies and myself would sneak into a local dive bar that had the propensity for packing the place with floozy trollops and wenches on Friday nights. The joint had a tendency to get pretty rambunctious about 11:00PM until closing. This one particular busy night had representatives from every cross-section of the nether society filling out every square foot in the no-brand cigarette smoky, beer-slippery floor, sweaty clammy skinned, French whore smelling shit-hole. AC/DC, “Highway to Hell” was straining the cracked speakers in the jukebox in the corner. A jukebox that doubled as a foothold for one of the town sluts getting banged to the rhythm of the rock. Some bikers rolled in about midnight and forced the varsity football team out of "their" part of the bar. Most of the jocks were pretty smashed by then, had their fill of $2 pitchers and left quietly. A couple goat roping, 4H wannabe cowboys threaded their way over to jukebox to change the rock to country. That idea wasn’t received well with the town stonys and heads. Making matters worse, “hippy Ed” recognized the wench getting her skirt hiked in the arms of my brother as his womanz. A small fracas ensued, the two split like a pair of dirty dogs being hosed during a late-night lawn congress. Later it was discovered that old Ed was tripping on some San Francisco windowpane acid that night. Ed stormed out and my brother passed out. Some friends help me load little bro into the back of his pickup truck and we went back in to close out the evening. About fifteen minutes before closing, I had Kim Lewellen pinned to the far corner of the bar, just seconds away from talking her home to the barn.
Evidently, hippie Ed later came back to the bar with a .38 snubnose bent on shooting my brother for fondling his womanz pie. He entered the barroom, squinted his beady eyes peering through blue John Lennon spectacles and took a wild hail-Mary shot at my backside, mistaking my ass for my brothers'. From across the room that bullet missed every beer bottle, every hubcap sized belt-buckle, every bikers chain and every piece of pie in the place. Missed them all, only to strike me in the calf of my left leg. I felt a sharp hot pain but just figured Kim was getting rough. But nooooo, I had my first encounter with guns.

... Once bitten by the "bug"; been hooked every since!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:38:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... At the age ripe of 16, some high school buddies and myself would sneak into a local dive bar that had the propensity for packing the place with floozy trollops and wenches on Friday nights. The placed had a tendency to get pretty rambunctious about 11:00PM until closing. This one particular busy night had representatives from every cross-section of the nether society filling out every square foot in the no-brand cigarette smoky, beer-slippery floor, sweaty clammy skinned, French whore smelling shit-hole. AC/DC, “Highway to Hell” was straining the cracked speakers in the jukebox in the corner. A jukebox that doubled as a foothold for one of the towns sluts getting banged to the rhythm of the rock. Some bikers rolled in about midnight and forced the varsity football team out of "their" part of the bar. Most of them were pretty smashed by then, had their fill of $2 pitchers and left quietly. A couple goat roping, 4H wannabe cowboys threaded their way over to jukebox to change the rock to country. That idea wasn’t received well with the town stonys and heads. Making matters worse, “hippy Ed” recognized the wench getting her skirt hiked was in the arms of my brother. A small fracas ensued, the two split like a pair of dirty dogs being hosed during a late-night lawn congress. Later it was discovered that old Ed was tripping on some San Francisco windowpane acid that night. He stormed out and my brother passed out. Some friends help me load him into the back of his pickup truck and we went back in to close out the evening. About fifteen minutes before closing, I had Kim Lewellen pinned to the far corner of the bar, just seconds away from talking her home to the barn.
Evidently, hippie Ed came back to the bar with a .38 snubnose bent on shooting my brother. He entered the barroom and took a wild hail-Mary shot at my backside, mistaken me for my brother. From across the room that bullet missed every beer bottle, every hubcap sized belt-buckle, every bikers chain and every piece of pie in the place. Missed them all, only to strike me in the lower calf of my left leg. I felt a sharp hot pain but just figured Kim was getting rough. But nooooo, I had my first encounter with guns. Been hooked every since![/red

Evidently, hippie Ed came back to the bar with a .38 snubnose bent on shooting my brother. He entered the barroom and took a wild-assed shot at my backside, mistaken me for my brother. From across the room that bullet missed every beer bottle, every hubcap sized belt-buckle, every bikers chain and every piece of pie in the place. Missed them all, only to strike me in the lower calf of my left leg. I felt a sharp hot pain but just figured Kim was getting rough. But nooooo, I had my first encounter with guns. Been hooked every since!

Damn that Acid still be kickin the flashbacks...!

...!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:19:16 PM EST
Dad liked guns, started me by 5. First gun at 10. first evil rifle by 17. Brothers a SWAT weenie and had a real M4. Yes I shot it. Yes it was good. After that I had to get a M4gery. Now, I'm addicted and I can't stop. I mean I could if I wanted to but I don't.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:31:21 PM EST
I got my first gun when i was in like 4th grade. My grand father passed away and the only thing he left for me(not like he really owned much) was his Browing sweet 16 A-5 shotgun. I used to take it out from under my dads bed and play with it when i was growing up (note: i'm getting a gun safe when i have kids!) It was my first year of college though that i really got into shooting. As with most kids in there early 20's now, i got into shooting video games and one day i just decided to go buy another gun. Went down to the local range/store and just said, ummmmmmm i'll take that one....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:40:59 PM EST
Out of necessity.

MT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:19:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 3:20:32 PM EST by wulf50guy]
Back in the late 80's
Friend took me shooting the weekend before the gun show in Chatlotte.
All I had was my little Marlin 22.
He brought out a really nice SKS with the folding stock with a huge mag for it. I had never seen an sks or any type or rifle like that in person much less shot one.
We stayed out shooting milk jugs and coke cans all afternoon.

Went that next weekend to the metrolina expo and found a NIB Norinco MAK-90.
And a case of ammo for it.
Fell in love with that thing and still have it to this day.

Now I make it a point to always try to invite someone who has never been shooting before to go when My friends and I go to the range.
So far I've brought probably 3 or 4 non shooters over to our side.
And Still get together with most of them a few times a year to shoot.

But I have to say It's very satisfying to introduce someone to this sport and see them get as much enjoyment out of it as I do.

So, rememer next time you go to the range or a gun show, invite someone who has never been.
there's could be the vote that saves us.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:55:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By wulf50guy:
Back in the late 80's
Friend took me shooting ...

... Was in a bar in Mesa?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:33:43 AM EST
The first time I went to camp at 10 Mile River in upstate NY, One of the range officers let me shoot his Nylon 66, I have been hooked ever since.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:42:29 AM EST
Grew up around guns and spent my early years in Oklahoma. Dad was an Okie and we had a small collection in the house as did everyone back then.

.22 scoped semi-auto, 12 gauge SxS, 12 gauge pump and .22 revolver. Dad had me shooting the .22 rifle as soon as I could hold it (with his help).

We bounced from OK to CA to HI and back to CA. Never shot another round after we left OK.

Dad retired from the Navy in SoCal and sometime in the early 70's he took all the guns and sold them. I never found out why.

I never picked up a gun from that day forward but always had a fascination with them and considered firearms to be just another tool.

After 9/11 I decided that the time was right for "getting involved" with guns. Bought my first August 1, 2002 (a Walther P99 in .40) and now have a total of 17 in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:50:40 AM EST
I've always liked guns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:24:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:

Originally Posted By wulf50guy:
Back in the late 80's
Friend took me shooting ...

... Was in a bar in Mesa?

No that was later, and it was a bar on Charlotte.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:18:07 AM EST
I started much like everyone else. I got a pellet gun at the ripe old age of 7 and started racking up kills on soda cans and the like. As I bigger so did the toys. When I turned 18 I started getting into the millitaria stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:27:26 AM EST
My first gun was a Marlin .22LR....Dad bought it when I was 4 years old....He taught me on that for a few years until I could take down tin cans at 100 feet. At 12 I got try the "Adult" guns...a 20 GA skeet gun and a .303British Enfield (which kicked my 12 year old ass).

I have pretty much been an addict ever since I was a kid!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:33:54 AM EST
Been shooting/hunting for a number of years, my dad made me fairly educated on firearms in general at a young age. Got EBR when I decided to enlist in the Army and do something with myself. Gettin kinda tired of the bullshit routine of cooking for the masses at Red Lobster and Applebees.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:05:23 AM EST
When I was a kid, I wanted a BB gun just like Ralphy ("you'll shoot your eye out") Being in the PRNJ, my dad couldn't get me one. Finally, I ordered a few from Cabellas and Bass pro shops, cut school to accept delivery. I probably shot 100,000 bb's by the time I hit 16.

In the Army, I trained on old M16's, and .45's. They jammed, and rattled, I thought the ar15/1911 designs were a pos. LOL by 1997, I could afford to buy my own, and I learned how wrong my initial impressions had been.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:09:43 AM EST
BTT
Top Top