Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 4:06:19 PM EDT
Why do so many people say clip when refering to a magazine?  I have given up on correcting people because I look like an ass when I say "It isn't a clip it is a magazine".  So what idiot started this trend?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
never heard it called that
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably because there were some prevailant rifles that used real clips like the Garand.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna guess in the 80's and "banana clip"
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I would imagine the nororious misuse of the word "clip" for magazine started with millions of GI's returning home from World War Two.

Every one of them trained on/use an M1 Garand, which used en-bloc clips. So I imagine "toss me a clip" was a daily utterance for most of them. Now, with all these millions of GI's returning home, they called all ammunition feeding devices "clips" by force of habit.

That's my theory.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
clip...magazine...who cares...I don't

more important things to worry about

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the word "clip" applies to a stripper-clip of ammo. Uninformed people (likely the media) began calling "magazines" by the name of "clips", and the uninformed general public ate it up like they do everything else.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Hilbillies.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Taffy

Well they are two different things.  Same thing as assault rifle vs. AR-15 two different things that some how were combined and called the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The M1 Garand gave us the unilateral usage of the term clip for anything holding ammo  to be inserted into a firearm
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally I suspect it's because the average bubba thinks the word "clip" sounds cooler than "mag" or "magazine".
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would imagine the nororious misuse of the word "clip" for magazine started with millions of GI's returning home from World War Two.

Every one of them trained on/use an M1 Garand, which used en-bloc clips. So I imagine "toss me a clip" was a daily utterance for most of them. Now, with all these millions of GI's returning home, they called all ammunition feeding devices "clips" by force of habit.

That's my theory.

Damn WWII GI's....they go off and save the world...fielding the best army the world had ever seen and when they come home they result in mags being called clips....Yeah...thanks for nothing. guys
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's my theory.

+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#13]
America is being destroyed by the Hip Hop "Culture".

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Overgeneralization of the word clip as used in "stripper clip" and "en bloc clip".
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
say after me...

MAG--A--ZENE.

CLIP.

ithink it's easer.

Don’t ask me why perfectly normal people call it a G-lock
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Ehh, I used to say clip. But now the guys I shoot with have said mag so many times I say that, but then again I still get to say clip because of the SKS...who knows...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Military bolt action rifles had (usually) fixed magazines and were fed from a stripper clip. So the word “clip” became associated with reloading rifles. So that goes back to at least WW1. Others have already mentioned the Garand of WWII.

Besides “Clip” is one syllable while Magazine is three so it’s easier to say clip, and “magazine” is easy to confuse with a periodical.

Anyway, magazine is technically correct and it’s what I’ve always used. But I try not to worry about it too much when people misuse.

(BTW, if you want to see people get worked up over terminology, refer to a “fuller” as a “blood groove” around sword and knife people and see how they react. It would be like calling an AR-15 an AK-47 on this forum.)

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taffy

Well they are two different things.  Same thing as assault rifle vs. AR-15 two different things that some how were combined and called the same thing.

Agreed and I've seen all the usual posts about clips/mags/bananas/oranges etc
and seen all the usual pics to go with this type of thread.

Someone says clip/magazine...no problem. I get their drift regardless.

"Normal service will be resumed shortly"

Taffy

With the evil black underwater vertical bumpfiring black-water multi cliped sub-assault death rifle by Mattell incorporating Haiwain made m203 bunker busting surf special grenades and defcom 100 tritium all weather uber tactical sights.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Who gives a fuck. Really, how fucking anal can you get ?

If someone says,  give me a "Clip full of bullets" Does anyone not know what that means ? I mean I know it's not technical , but who really gives a shit ?

I don't understand why anyone other than a gun store commando would make a big deal out of this.

// With all due respect of course.

edit spelling, oops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought some of those high capacity semi automatic assault revolver machine gun style banana clips this afternoon!  They're sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]

I like to charge my magazines from clips.  These are subsequently used in my semi-automatic, magazine-fed, air-cooled, gas-operated rifle.

I think that sounds cool.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If someone says,  give me a "Clip full of bullets" Does anyone not know what that means ? I mean I know it's not technical , but who really gives a shit ?

I don't understand why anyone other than a gun store comando would make a big deal out of this.

// With all do respect of course.

Believe me it's a big deal here....dunno why ..it just is....<shrugs>
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

MAG--A--ZENE.

CLIP.

You're right.  I said "clip" for years before I got hired as a cop.  Everybody calls it a magazine here.

Even though it's wrong, I'd still like to say clip.  Hey, it's one syllable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why do so many people say clip when refering to a magazine?  I have given up on correcting people because I look like an ass when I say "It isn't a clip it is a magazine".  So what idiot started this trend?

I think it happened in the media/movies....it DRIVES me crazy!

...same thing as someone calling a 'Picture' a 'Pitcher'......shees.....one's for drinking beer out of, and the other one is what a camera takes. I hear seemingly intellegent folks that don't seem to know the difference...

....same thing, with a 'gun' vs. a 'firearm' or 'rifle', etc...

...one is for 'killing' and the other is for 'fun'!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't understand why anyone other than a gun store comando would make a big deal out of this.

// With all do respect of course.

Well shieeettt then, give me one of them there full automatic revolvers you gots.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to work at a hobby store that sold video games.  I heard to many people refer to Nintendo game cartridges as "Nintendo tapes".

People are simple.  Clip is shorter then magazine.  Its only one syllable.  Gun vs firearm.  I asked a clerk at a Greyhound bus terminal if it was possible to transport a firearm to Montana during my trip.  At the time i had a friend who lived up their and they hunted on occassion.  The clerk looked confused at the use of the word firearm.  Only when i said gun did it make sense to him.   The answer was NO of course.  UPS is the only option if you decide to hunt in a faraway state or drive through various states yourself that have peaceable journey laws.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I find it comical that people that regularly butcher your/you're, its/it's etc. get worked up about clip vs. mag.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's my theory.

That's my thoughts also.  I'm comfortable with calling them "clips."  It really sounds much better and most people don't have a clue what a "magazine" is.  They do understand "clip."  

Using "clip" instead of magazine has been around a long time.  Until I got into ARs, I never heard anyone make the distinction.  Of course, being Navy, a "magazine" is something much larger that what you could carry around with you.  

I always feel like I'm with DI wannabees when I'm corrected but I've learned to avoid using "clip."  

I do get worked up about "gun."  I guess that I'm just as crazy as everyone else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top