Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/22/2011 1:28:54 PM EDT
This morning I got up and started cooking some dried Navy Beans that I soaked in water over night. They've been in a dutch oven on my stove on low for 5 hours and are just getting to the point where I can eat them. In the movies they always show cowboys on the trail eating beans... how in the world did they find time to cook beans while out on the trail? It takes forever to cook dried beans...

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:29:34 PM EDT
They didn't use dried beans.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:30:07 PM EDT
microwave...
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:31:01 PM EDT
Probably the chili made them rehydrate faster.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:31:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Credge:
They didn't use dried beans.

Also, preparation. The cooks started work a few days before the cattle drive, so that whatever needed to be prepared was done and ready for that meal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:31:42 PM EDT
They are..... Movies...?
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:33:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ScopeScar:
Probably the chili made them rehydrate faster.

Kinda what I was thinkin....

- Clint

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:33:56 PM EDT
Beans cook fast?

Alien.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:34:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chodenut:
microwave...

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:36:19 PM EDT
Tomorrows beans cooked overnight.
All the did at meal time was reheat them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:36:59 PM EDT
Cowboy's had cookie and his chuck wagon to cook.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:40:07 PM EDT
Forget the fast beans, I always wonder how all those pots and pans and camp accoutrements came out of just a bedroll and saddlebags.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:40:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Shung:
They are..... Movies...?

Movies

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:42:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:
This morning I got up and started cooking some dried Navy Beans that I soaked in water over night. They've been in a dutch oven on my stove on low for 5 hours and are just getting to the point where I can eat them. In the movies they always show cowboys on the trail eating beans... how in the world did they find time to cook beans while out on the trail? It takes forever to cook dried beans...

- Clint

Cooking times:

Dried Beans (1 cup) Cooking Time Presoak
Adzuki
40 minutes YES
Anasazi beans
50-60 minutes YES
Black Beans
50-60 minutes YES
Black-eyed Peas
45 minutes NO
Butter Beans
60-90 minutes YES
Cannellini Beans
1 1/4 hours YES
Chestnut Beans
1 1/2 hours YES
Fava Beans
1 hour YES
Flageolet Beans
1 1/2 hours YES
Garbanzo Beans
1 1/2 hours YES
Great Northern Beans
50-60 minutes YES
Kidney Beans
1 1/4 hours YES
Lentils, green or brown
25-30 minutes NO
Lentils, red
10 minutes NO
Lentils, French or black
20 minutes NO
Lima Beans, baby
40-45 minutes YES
Lima Beans, large
40-45 minutes YES
Mung Beans
45 minutes YES
Navy Beans
50-60 minutes YES
Peas, split
50-60 minutes NO
Peas, whole
1 1/4 hours N0
Pea Beans
50-60 minutes YES
Pinto Beans
1 hour YES
Red Beans, small
1 hour YES
Soybeans
2 1/4 hours YES

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:43:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rodent:
Forget the fast beans, I always wonder how all those pots and pans and camp accoutrements came out of just a bedroll and saddlebags.

Don't you guys know nothin'?

They use inflatable stuff.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:47:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:

- Clint

Also, did you allow extra time for high latitude cooking?

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:47:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lightning1960:

THE correct answer. Very little wood was available for fires, most of the time the cook used dried manure for the fire in addition to small brush type wood. Beans were cooked in a hole in the ground, surrounded by hot coals and covered with ash. The ash also in an effective insulator.

Beans will NOT cook faster in chili. The only way to cook faster is pressure cooking which I'm certain the cooks didn't have back then. No cans either, that is a significant weight penalty.

I cooked beans in this fashion back when I was in the Boy Scouts. Used a Dutch Oven, a cast iron pot with a tight-fitting, flanged lid which keeps dirt out. Wash and sort the beans, then dig the hole twice as large as the pot. Line with rocks (important) and build a good, hot fire with Squaw Wood (dead branches you can break with your hand), leaving a 2" layer of ash and hot coals on the bottom. Add the boiling beans to the hole and then cover with more wood to build the fire again. Stop once the lid is covered with 2" of ash. Add more ash from the fire pit for 6" of total cover. After 8 hours, uncover and enjoy. You did add bacon, spices and salt, right?

Cowboy slow cooker.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:49:34 PM EDT
As I've said in other threads, try the anasazi beans. They don't need soaking, cook faster and taste better'n pintos. And they produce much less gas. Get 'em here:

http://www.anasazibeans.com/
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:51:17 PM EDT
Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge nine days old.

I would think there was little bit of this going on. Just reheat and add some fresher ingredients a little along he way.
It is not if they had a fresh pot every day on the trail.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:55:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Originally Posted By Lightning1960:

THE correct answer. Very little wood was available for fires, most of the time the cook used dried manure for the fire in addition to small brush type wood. Beans were cooked in a hole in the ground, surrounded by hot coals and covered with ash. The ash also in an effective insulator.

Beans will NOT cook faster in chili. The only way to cook faster is pressure cooking which I'm certain the cooks didn't have back then. No cans either, that is a significant weight penalty.

I cooked beans in this fashion back when I was in the Boy Scouts. Used a Dutch Oven, a cast iron pot with a tight-fitting, flanged lid which keeps dirt out. Wash and sort the beans, then dig the hole twice as large as the pot. Line with rocks (important) and build a good, hot fire with Squaw Wood (dead branches you can break with your hand), leaving a 2" layer of ash and hot coals on the bottom. Add the boiling beans to the hole and then cover with more wood to build the fire again. Stop once the lid is covered with 2" of ash. Add more ash from the fire pit for 6" of total cover. After 8 hours, uncover and enjoy. You did add bacon, spices and salt, right?

Cowboy slow cooker.

I'll have to try that... every year around Febuary I go to a church winter camping trip called "Mountain man"... there is a guy there that makes all kinds of stuff in his dutch oven... peach cobbler is my favorite. I learned after the first year to always keep a plate and spoon nearby at all times... when the guy with the dutch oven walks by you may only get one chance to get some before somebody gets seconds and he runs out...

- clint

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:59:28 PM EDT
For Great Northern or Pea beans I soak overnight.

Next morning I parboil until the skin of the bean peels when you blow on it.

I found it's important to save the water you boiled them in. That where a lot of the flavor is.

Beans and water go in to a crockpot with molasses, Onion, a pinch of mustard, and either some bacon, Canadian bacon or salt pork.

Usually done by mid-afternoon.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:03:38 PM EDT
It has something to do with Texas......
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:11:04 PM EDT
The secret?

#10 cans.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:13:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Javak:
Beans cook fast?

Alien.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2011 2:30:04 PM EDT by WatchDog762]
Have you ever heard of a CHUCK WAGON? They wagon would go ahead to the next camp site and fix the meals. DUH Watch John Wayne Movie "The Cowboys"
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:26:28 PM EDT
I'd like to point out, it's a MOVIE.

If you look at history books, you will find differently. Rations for Texas Rangers on campaign were a pound of venison jerky and hardtack per man. No beans at all, or anything requiring cooking. (Unless they shot it while foraging)
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:28:34 PM EDT
Magnets. But don't tell anyone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:29:46 PM EDT
Bean Barrels were carried on the Chuckwagons, these were one to five gallon sealable barrels used for soaking dried beans that were to be cooked for the next days meals.

Cowboys on a cattle drive didn't do their own cooking, the trail cook did all that.

Line riders and cowboys who rode the outer limits of a ranch had small cabins to live in and a certain amount of territory or fence line to cover which would usually allow them to return to the out cabin each night.
When out and working they didn't carry dried beans, usually they carried a bit of salt pork or dried beef, corn meal for making johnny cakes, salt, coffee, and sugar.
Most ranches would also allow them to take game animals to supplement their rations.

Canned peaches and canned tomatoes were well loved treats to the cowboys of old.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:46:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WatchDog762:
Have you ever heard of a CHUCK WAGON? They wagon would go ahead to the next camp site and fix the meals. DUH Watch John Wayne Movie "The Cowboys"

Yep....Correct answer.

Locations were scouted in advance and the "chuck wagon" went ahead a couple hours before the herd. That's why the cook had to get-up four hours early to get breakfast and a oil-cloth saddle lunch ready and get on the move to the next camp where he started the evening meal. Cattle were only driven aroud 12-15 miles a day to maintain their weight.

It's beans people not rocket-science.

Top Top