Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 4/21/2016 8:56:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2016 8:59:56 PM EDT by squashpup]
'13 Fusion.

Driver's side rear shock is bad. I was driving it this evening on the freeway and hit an expansion joint and it bounced around a bit. I didn't come close to losing control of the car, but it surprised me. The rest of the time, you wouldn't know anything was wrong.

Got home, crawled under it, sure enough, lower half of the shock covered in oily dust. And tiny oil spots on the parking space right under where her wheel usually sits (that I somehow missed).

Thing is, wife and I are packed and ready to leave for a weekend getaway, and I hate to switch vehicles at this point. Plus, the Fusion is a much more comfortable cruiser than my Xterra, and is literally twice as good on gas.

Going to drive maybe 300 miles total and will never be more than two hours from the house. No, I don't have AAA.

Should I just load the back end up with luggage to tame that bad boy and hit the road?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:59:37 PM EDT
No stunt driving and you should be fine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:19 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By theskuh:
No stunt driving and you should be fine.

View Quote

Well, crap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:30 PM EDT
Danger factor: Zero
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:39 PM EDT
Strut, not shock.

Very bad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:01:36 PM EDT
You can probably replace it in less than thirty minutes not including a trip to vatozone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:02:14 PM EDT
drove my 01 ranger with the top shock mount broken off for a little bit - no issues really....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:06:47 PM EDT
drove 50k miles with bad struts in my last car. you'll be ok.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:08:19 PM EDT
Just be ready for it to get squirrely if you hit a bump right.. But then again, your not in PA, so potholes are weird bumps in the road are not as much of a concerne
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:08:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tacocat:
You can probably replace it in less than thirty minutes not including a trip to vatozone.
View Quote

I'm Captain Anger when it comes to car repairs. I could see that whole experience ending in fire.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:10:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2016 9:11:56 PM EDT by FMJshooter]
Try cracking the nuts if they're not frozen shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to replace, just make sure the bushings are already installed on the new one if you don't have a press.

That being said if you just drive it avoid big bumbs/potholes and racing through corners. Many of the higher mileage cars you see on the road have a blown shock or two with an oblivious doofus behind the wheel and they keep on truckin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:10:54 PM EDT
Would adding say, 50-100 lb of weight to the trunk, far behind the rear axle, tame it any?

Shocks basically resist rebound motion. I'd think inertia would too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:12:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By squashpup:
Would adding say, 50-100 lb of weight to the trunk, far behind the rear axle, tame it any?

View Quote
yup.

you are over thinking this... go on your trip.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:13:17 PM EDT

I'm Captain Anger when it comes to car repairs. I could see that whole experience ending in fire.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hmmm maybe ask your husband to do it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:14:28 PM EDT
A bad strut won't be a problem — bad tie rods or ball joints might.
Most times, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:15:01 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Ha ha.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:16:22 PM EDT
OK. Arf has spoken.

Thanks. I'll see you dweebs when I get back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2016 9:20:52 PM EDT by FMJshooter]

View Quote

The spring does most of the work all you would be doing is adding more load to it. Simple way to think of it is the spring handles the joust and rebound the shock regulates how fast it does it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:28:50 PM EDT

Ha ha.
View All Quotes

Ha ha.

Sorry I couldn't pass it up
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:38:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bob243:
Just be ready for it to get squirrely if you hit a bump right.. But then again, your not in PA, so potholes are weird bumps in the road are not as much of a concerne
View Quote
This. My springs are worn out, which makes my shocks wear out quick. Bumps cause it to rock up and down for awhile. If I have weight in the back of my car, handling becomes an issue above 70 MPH. Other than that, not a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:44:13 PM EDT
My shocks/struts have been dead for years now on my daily driver ('04 BMW I got for super-cheap). Not dead yet, though the ride could be better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:48:08 PM EDT
Today on my F series pickup the rear leaf spring bracket holder, which Ford in it's infinite wisdom riveted to the frame, disintegrated 20 miles from home.

By being gentle I was able to get it home with punching a leaf spring through the bed.

Joy of joys, fixing that tomorrow is just how I wanted to spend the day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:47:19 AM EDT
I drove a 1976 chevy nova with only 3 shocks.
Bumps in the road made it a bouncy ride.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:50:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:51:58 AM EDT
Shocks don't cost shit. Why not replace?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:52:14 AM EDT
My TJ has had a bent stock for a while now. Spent forever trying to track down the noise.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:52:35 AM EDT
View Quote

HA!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:53:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Today on my F series pickup the rear leaf spring bracket holder, which Ford in it's infinite wisdom riveted to the frame, disintegrated 20 miles from home.

By being gentle I was able to get it home with punching a leaf spring through the bed.

Joy of joys, fixing that tomorrow is just how I wanted to spend the day.
View Quote

My Tacoma has an active recall where the leaf spring pack can break free and if you do it juuuuuuuuust right, it will puncture the fuel tank
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:13:33 AM EDT
I had a car *drive* into the shop with one of it's rear semi-trailing arms zip tied to the subframe a couple years ago, you should be fine. The number of vehicles on the road with completely fucked suspensions and happily unaware drivers is staggering.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:49:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 6:50:14 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:53:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:02:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MARINE-ORDIE:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MARINE-ORDIE:

....Thing is, wife and I are packed and ready to leave for a weekend getaway, and I hate to switch vehicles at this point. Plus, the Fusion is a much more comfortable cruiser than my Xterra, and is literally twice as good on gas...
Top Top