Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 9:58:47 PM EDT
Are they as downgraded as the Soviet T72s?

Do all export tanks suck?

Example of M1 being hit by modern ATGM https://streamable.com/01rx
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that was a long way away...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It hit the rear of the ammunition stowage compartment. No difference what so ever in that scenario.

Force came up and out from the blow out panels when the ammo was ignited. Pretty much did what it was designed to do in that situation (if the loader door was closed). In a T-72 (that has the whole "store the ammo in the turret with the crew" thing going on) the crew would have been roasted.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Really seems like a anti-ATGM system could be effective in a situation like that.  Such a long flight time.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Will not buff out.

After watching so many Syrian war videos I wonder, is there even a point to fielding tanks in an environment with abundant anti tank missiles?  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC the exports are the original Abrams. They had the 105mm gun. The stabilization and fire control systems were removed from the ones we gave the Iraqis. That's what makes them lethal.

The above poster hit the nail on the head with the ammo stowage. Our shit blows up through relief panels. Soviet shit isn't designed this way. Ammo is stored inside the turrent. Hence the popping off of the turrent when hit usually.

There are counter missile systems on the Bradley fighting vehicle. I don't know about the SEPv2 Abrams.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Are they built like our Rent a Cars?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Australia got factory rebuilt USMC M1A1s iirc
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If the loader door was closed, did the crew survive? Can the tank still maneuver (looks like it turned a bit) Or do they have to get out ASAP because the heat will conduct through and slow cook? Are they all deaf/concussed?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
That won't buff out
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the loader door was closed, did the crew survive? Can the tank still maneuver (looks like it turned a bit) Or do they have to get out ASAP because the heat will conduct through and slow cook? Are they all deaf/concussed?
View Quote

Driver is probably fine. Looks like he pivoted. Might have been trying to rotate 180 to let the crew out?  Not too sure. I'm certain the turrent crew was severely fucked if they survived. Could be wrong though, fortunately I'm not a tanker, nor have I been in a vehicle hit by an ATGM.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
We need to expedite our own Active Protection Systems
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure if there is a real difference between how the M1A1HAs and M1A1s would perform against a frontal turret HEAT round. I thought the DU armor only really helped with KE rounds.

OP needs to add "paging Manic_Moran" to the thread title.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure if there is a real difference between how the M1A1HAs and M1A1s would perform against a frontal turret HEAT round. I thought the DU armor only really helped with KE rounds.

OP needs to add "paging Manic_Moran" to the thread title.
View Quote

Well, I don't hang out here often enough any more for it to work.

But the bottom line is that the difference is primarily in the ammunition, not the tank. We haven't generally sold depleted uranium ammo. That said, the 'non-du' ammo the Germans produce (and such as may be used by Australia) isn't bad. Also on the other hand, I think it's a traversty that to my knowledge the US Army still hasn't followed the USMC's lead and purchased HE rounds for the things.

There is some debate as to whether the quality control of the Egyptian-produced M1s are to the same standard as those built in Ohio. The individual components, in theory, would have been as good as the US counterpart tanks of the time (note, of the time, the Egyptian tanks pre-date the current A1 AIM SA tanks), given that we sent them the components, and they built them, but as I say, it's questionable.

Armor packages are another difference. The Aussies chose, for example, for whatever reason to not take the DU armor inserts and instead picked up some 'conventional' armor which probably costs three times as much, but they claim is just as effective. Whether or not the Kuwaitis, Iraqis or Saudis, for example, have such a package, I'm unsure.

The Aussie ones do come with a fridge, though, which is one up on us.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]
It is my understanding that the Egypt plant is pretty much a mirror of the old setup at Lima.  It is ran and managed by staff from here, a handful of Egyptians just punch the clock.  This is according to a former manager of the Egyptian plant.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy mushroom cloud!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Does this give the crew more of a chance to survive? Is the tank salvageable?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I will wait for the drmo auction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top