Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 9:18:07 AM EST
2001 Bandit 600
K&N filter from its winter maintenance at the mechanic's

Started noticing a little extra burnt oil 'traffic' smell
later, pulled to a stop on a highway exit and saw light smoke coming from under the bike.
I've had an oil filter spin itself loose and leave nice puddles when I parked it before, so I checked that. It would only tighten down a fraction of a turn. (maybe 1/8-1/4 turn) -- not nearly as loose as the last time I had a filter area leak.
The next day I fire it up and notice oil leaking from the filter area as its setting there warming up.
Went to Napa & got a Gold filter, put it on, added some oil to get the level back up.
Short test drive later and that area seems leak-free.

I didn't do any complex multi-step substitution diagnostics, but the fact a dry filter started to leak, was already tight, and another seems to have fixed the problem leads me to believe my old filter lost containment in some way.

How common is this kind of thing on bikes? (inline 4 600, driven fast on a highway commute semi-regularly)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:51:56 AM EST
A properly installed filter doesn't spin itself loose.
Dirt or some foreign matter or a damaged sealing gasket on the K&N possibly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:46:54 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gatkeper:
A properly installed filter doesn't spin itself loose.
Dirt or some foreign matter or a damaged sealing gasket on the K&N possibly.
View Quote

Unless the housing was somehow damaged or compromised, I'm going with a bad o-ring gasket.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:35:40 PM EST
I could understand a bad gasket, but it looked fine and it survived 1000-1500 miles since the winter maint. I'll accept that there could be a hidden flaw that came loose at 10-11k rpm, but it's still odd.

Housing looked intact. No evidence of leakage from anywhere above or next to the filter, and the mating surface was smooth and free of debri and damage.

Are K&N usually GTG for bikes, or did I upgrade going to the Napa Gold?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:36:17 PM EST
Napa filters were I believe made by WIX, But WIX doesnt have to my knowledge 3 levels of filters like NAPA does.
I like WIX branded filters. When I was last shopping for a filter for my Fusion I looked at NAPA regular and Gold and they are 2 different filters. They didn't have a Platinum filter so I cannot comment on that.
WIX is a first line manufacturer and make for some of the Auto and Bike Manufacturers. Harley Davidson's oil filter is made by WIX.
Filters can blow off from an engine malfunction such as an oil pump bypass failure. The BMW 2002 was notorious for blowing filters clean off.
An over pressure event like a stuck oil pressure relief valve could deform or blow a case out but the damage to the filter would be noticeable due to the deformed filter body
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:58:44 PM EST
If it's a fram I could see this happening. The OEM Subaru filters are built by Honeywell and have had several recalls for the filter separating in the last year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:38:14 PM EST
I did not see any obvious deformations on the filter body.

For the sake of completeness, here is the oil filter cross reference list I used for my Bandit 600. (from a Bob is the Oil Guy link)

20 x 1mm threads, 11 psi, by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve

Champion PH7016
Emgo 10-55662 or 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
K&N 138
NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:21:00 PM EST
I've done hundreds upon hundreds of filter changes, and logged probably a few million miles on various vehicles personally and professionally, and never had a single filter leak on anything.

So, I'd say not common. Possible, for sure, but not common.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:37:14 PM EST
K&N motorcycle filters have been known to have issues. Do a search.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:05:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2014 9:17:40 AM EST by fook]
Originally Posted By gatkeper:
Napa filters were I believe made by WIX, But WIX doesnt have to my knowledge 3 levels of filters like NAPA does.
I like WIX branded filters. When I was last shopping for a filter for my Fusion I looked at NAPA regular and Gold and they are 2 different filters. They didn't have a Platinum filter so I cannot comment on that.
WIX is a first line manufacturer and make for some of the Auto and Bike Manufacturers. Harley Davidson's oil filter is made by WIX.
Filters can blow off from an engine malfunction such as an oil pump bypass failure. The BMW 2002 was notorious for blowing filters clean off.
An over pressure event like a stuck oil pressure relief valve could deform or blow a case out but the damage to the filter would be noticeable due to the deformed filter body
View Quote

nvm

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:16:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By kapnkrunch:
If it's a fram I could see this happening. The OEM Subaru filters are built by Honeywell and have had several recalls for the filter separating in the last year.
View Quote

Honeywell sold FRAM in 2011.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:05:02 PM EST
Other than filters blowing off on engines with way to much oil pressure, every filter leak I've seen happened pretty much immediately after installation.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:28:16 AM EST
I've had a diesel fuel filter (looks like an oil filter) develop a leak, it was a pin hole in the side of the metal body. Apeared to have rusted through.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:23:30 PM EST
Never heard of it happening to bikes.

4g63 powered cars, yes, far more common than one would think possible (but has never happened to me personally).
Top Top