Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 2:09:05 AM EDT
used on police cars nationwide? Anyone know if they mean anything? These same colors are used worldwide now, anyone know why?

How about the white with green trim used by the Sheriffs Departments in most of the 3,000+ counties nationwide, and now worldwide, even in china, russia, anyone know!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
White and blue isn't used in my neck of the woods. Nether is white and green on Sheriffs cars.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
White and blue isn't used in my neck of the woods. Nether is white and green on Sheriffs cars.
View Quote

What neck of the woods, are you in?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#3]
White with blue has been known to penetrate the shielding of tin foil hats.  White with green was the older skeme of penetration.   They just haven't upgraded yet.  Or they have found a better penetration method.

Damn, I can't find any tinfoil smilie.

[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cockpit.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, but I'd guess that it's just one of those 'nonstandardized standards', like fire engines are red, taxis are yellow, blah blah. But since it's nonstandardized you get variations, like yellow fire engines, lime green taxis (Las Vegas), etc.
But like I said, I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Duh, white and blue are used so that when the UN invade, the local police can blend in with and aid the UN in their evil conquest of American Gun Owners.
That IS what you are suggesting, right?
Funny, it sounds so much more stupid when you actually come out and say it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Detroit has had white with blue for years, but in 2000 they switched to a pretty sharp looking black with gold scheme.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Down here in Jawja, the sheriff's cars are brown statewide.  Many police departments use gray, some use black, some use all blue, some use blue with white doors, and some use black with white doors.  These are the non-UN police agencies.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe you will find most police cars (NOT ALL) have some white in them. This is a standard color that the manufacturer can easily paint many cars to satisfy the majority of orders either entirely or in part. It also makes the bid cheaper. In this neck of the woods they operate on a bid system. For those that want other colors or special paint (Brown over Tan for Sheriff) they must pay the difference.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Never seen that before. In CA the highway patrol are in Mustangs and Reg cruiser colored black and white or white or silver. Local cop in SoCal are in white or black and white or silver. Here in TX I've seen a spectrum of colors. Navy blue, black and white, charcoal metalic gray, and yes I have seen the white w/ blue trim. I can't say as I see a pattern forming.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:03:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]
in north carolina(wake county ) our shieriffs went from brown to black and silver like the state troopers.city cops are blue and white.next door in durham the city cops have the old tradisional black and whites.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Most police cars come in plain white because it is cheaper.

Economics are the biggest factor in what police cars look like. The more traditional black and white patrol cars cost about $900-1100 more than plain white. So do the blue and white cars. Really big PDs that used blue and white have switched to plain white with stripes and saved literally millions (Houston PD and New York, to name a couple).

The amount and color of striping on a car has more to do with the budget of the agency involved than any other factor. The Podunk PD/SO usually has a badge on the door and might say "POLICE" or "SHERIFF" in a couple of place. The richer tax-base communities have the more high-speed striping. Heck, one local PD around here with lots of money even puts their officer's names on the cars.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#13]
It is mostly money. Our cars are Blue with a decal. Also the origional color scheme was black and white. Hence" get the black and whites here' Depends also on the ego of the chief.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#15]
there's only one answer real answer for the big city forces, all white in cheaper to purchase and very cheap the repaint body damage. Add a few extra bucks for blue stripes or vinyl graphics
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because Gall's, Inc., makes their decal packages for white cars, in general.  You're able to get the whole decal package for a particular vehicle type, without having to go through the hassle of getting them painted.

Most smaller departments go through Gall's and companies like that to get their gear.  

Semper Fi!

Ken Little
View Quote

Now we are getting somewhere!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top