Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 8:04:23 PM EDT
did internal damage to you engine ?

The story - I have a 1992 Ford E250 with the 351W. Van has 103k on it. I has having a VERY shitty day. The water pump took a shit. I was so pissed off that day that I continued to drive it steaming like hell and all figuring I'd make it home and fix it. I did'nt make it home. The engine finally gave out. Got her towed home the next day. Put on a new waterpump and thermostat while I was in there. Anyway now the engine knocks sometimes. It will knock then stop then knock some more. It is less noticable once the engine is warm. You can only here this knocking if you have the hood open and are standing in front of the engine.

Basically I put 12-15 miles on the engine with no water in it. Yes I know - stupid, stupid, stupid. Like I said I was having a shitty day and I just wanted to beat the hell out of someone and it ended up being my van.

She starts and runs the same as before now but I'm wondering if the knocking is a spun bearing or some other internal damage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
change the oil, look for stuff that looks like really fine glitter.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Believe me you did damage and it will bite you in the arss. sounds like barring falure to me. If it were me id look for another engine for back up and just beat  this one till it wont go another foot. it will not be long till she blows.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#3]
ha! I did that once.  I put in a Prestone flush kit where you have to cut a water hose and insert a tee that has a garden hose adapter to it.   Evidently the cap on the tee came loose and I lost all my coolant.
Went to my credit union, came, heard a tick tick tick ...thinking, wow the car next to me has problems, started the truck and noted the temp gauge was pegged all the way to H(ot).  Screw it, I was 6 miles from home so I drove like a madman posessed and was relieved I made it.  Refilled with coolant and water and engine was ok, but 2 years later I blew a head gasket.  Head gaskets blow due to age anyway, maybe it was related to the overheating or not, but in my case I was alright for 2 years.

Engine was a carbed 22R for my 1985 Toyota truck
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Let us know what you find when you change the oil. Sorry you had a bad day, shit happens every day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm curious if you're running synthetic motor oil?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top