Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2012 5:25:08 AM EST
Just had surgery on Friday and to relieve the pain they gave me a shot of Dilaudid. God that was the most sick feeling I had ever had... The "rush" followed by the feeling I needed to puke... I don't know what was worst the pain or the Dilaudid
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:26:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:28:54 AM EST
I got Vicodin when I tore up my shoulder. They didn't do anything, and after the fourth one in six hours, I flushed em.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:30:34 AM EST
I have had 7 knee surgeries, and can say without a doubt that I would be an opioid junkie if I would let myself.

A shot of morphine with Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd on the CD player would carry me into blissful oblivion
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:31:37 AM EST
I was in the ER this past summer. Docs thought I had either a hernia or appendicitis. It felt like some one was stabing me with a pitchfork in my stomach. They gave me Dilaudid. Pain was gone almost instantly. That stuff was great. Made me feel like I was in some kind of dreamy Pink Flloyd video.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:33:30 AM EST
I had the same thought bout the benzos they gave me after I got out of the hospital.

My guess is that the experience is different if your not recovering from an illness or surgery.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:33:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 5:40:29 AM EST by Quarterbore]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:34:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 5:35:30 AM EST by WackyG]
I've been taking at least 10mg of Hydrocodone 4 to 6 times daily for 5 years, so I am one of those addicts you speak of. Without it, I couldn't walk. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a bitch. Why take it? So I can go to work.

ETA: Oxy works better, but will cork you up like nobody's business.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:35:01 AM EST
Painkillers has their uses.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:37:04 AM EST
Chuck Norris isnt addicted to heroin... heroin is addicted to Chuck Norris, and the heroin feels awful when he injects it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:37:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Because not everyone has the same reaction as you.

This. Opiate dependency runs in the family. For some it feels wonderful.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:38:48 AM EST
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:40:07 AM EST
When I was a kid it felt great to wake up and lay in bed after a good nights sleep, A hard to describe peacefulness and well being.

Well, I have never felt that good until I had some IV demeral. Some anti nasusea drug before the demeral was the trick..........
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:40:36 AM EST
Morphine gives me seizures/muscle spasms when I come down from it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:58:54 AM EST
Some people are just some weak minded fucks and get "addicted" to everything
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:02:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 6:04:53 AM EST by CSeaBass]
I got a shot of phentenyl(sp?) Before knee surgery... holy shit that was awesome..

After Tue surgery I woke up so fucking sick. Dry heaving for hours... horrible day. Every anti nausea drug in the hospital didn't help..
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Because not everyone has the same reaction as you.

This.

Vicodin and other brands of it have no affect on me. Morphin is good, for about 10 minutes. I matobolize it too fast. Dilaudid is good to go. No real head ruch, but about 6 hours pain relief. Too bad it's a 12 hour drug :(
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:06:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1911greg:

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:10:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By spankybear:
Just had surgery on Friday and to relieve the pain they gave me a shot of Dilaudid. God that was the most sick feeling I had ever had... The "rush" followed by the feeling I needed to puke... I don't know what was worst the pain or the Dilaudid

If you're interested in becoming an addict you have to give it some time. You'll get over the nausea soon enough and then you'll just get "nice" or "right". I grew up around junkies....not pretty.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:19:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By 1911greg:

No. I had percoset prescribed to me after a nasty broken bone, with plate screws and pain. I never enjoyed the feeling. I still take one at night, as ibuprofen doesn't put the pain down enough to sleep. My point is, I am not willfully resisting addiction, the drug (morpine included, right after the accident) is simply not pleasurable to me. If it was pleasurable, I would be addicted. I don't know if it is a "gene" or what, but thyank God I don't have it. I've got enough troubles.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:26:12 AM EST
Percocet after bypass surgery.

No pain, but I didn't like the extra people in my room, but if I opened my eyes they went away.

I don't see the appeal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:28:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 6:40:58 AM EST by Tactical_Ogre]
They act like uppers on me and make me feel like Superman. You start off taking a little and then that doesn't work anymore. Then you increase and keep increasing until you move on to a stronger drug. My doctors finally made me see the light and I got help. I have been clean since June and never want to go back to that crap.

ETA: I'd like to point out that this wasn't recreational. I was taking them for multi-level disc herniations. I still have that, but I'm able to deal with my pain through exercise, meditation, and distraction, now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:36:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By pdm:

If you're interested in becoming an addict you have to give it some time. You'll get over the nausea soon enough and then you'll just get "nice" or "right". I grew up around junkies....not pretty.

I was prescribed demerol post-surgery. I felt pretty good, but I barely had the cognitive or physical abilities to get up and change what DVD was playing, and I was basically relying on the GF not to starve to death in my own house. That shit got old pretty quick. Never finished the last 1/4 of the bottle of pills.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:38:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 6:45:02 AM EST by Crowgirl]
I had abdominal surgery a couple of years ago and had fentanyl in the hospital then Vicodin and Percocet (when the Vicodin didn't work) after I got out.

I HATED all that stuff.
The Fentanyl made me almost stop breathing (most opiates do, I forget that I'm supposed to breathe, so I don't) and didn't do much for the pain, got an oxygen tube up my nose instead.
The Vicodin made me dizzy and nauseous, and did nothing for the pain.
The Percoset made me sleepy and forget to breathe and also didn't do much for the pain. And I was taking TINY amounts - would break the lowest dose Perc into quarters and take just one and it was still too much.

And I thought I'd never poop again.

2 Advil did far more for the pain than any of that stuff. I ended up just taking 2 advil 3 times a day and a pinch of the Percocet at night so I could sleep and was off it all in a week.

I am definitely not cut out to be addicted to opiates, for sure. Everyone's personal body chemistry is different, and amazingly so.

Now, whatever anti-anxiety stuff they shot me up with before wheeling me off to the OR was a different story. I wanted a doggie bag full of that to take home.
I was in such a good mood that I hit on the cute anesthesiologist right in front of hubby, and then was waving at everyone in the hallway on the way to the OR like I was Queen Elizabeth on a parade float.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:43:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 6:45:05 AM EST by Another-Bill]
<–––– That was my 4th back surgery back in '06. I was on vocodin or Percocet for about a year. They were giving me percocets 90 at a time.

Never had a problem stopping.
My wife's brother and his son could not stop drinking or smoking. The brother died last year at 56.

I do have to say the morphine pump is really incredible. It can take you places that you didn't know existed. Hell, I could have sawed my own arm off.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:44:25 AM EST
So freakin' easy it's not funny.
Fentanyl patches got me good during radiation therapy, and FAST.
First patch, I got dizzy and everything was funny. Second patch, things were just funny. Third patch, I felt perfectly normal. Six weeks later...
Getting off of the patches was a bitch and a half. Withdrawal is no fun. If I didn't have an above average knowledge of pharmacopeia I would have thought I had parasites living under my skin. Many sleepless nights, twitching, and itching.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:46:33 AM EST
Give me Motrin, FTW. Works on everything and doesn't dope you up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:46:41 AM EST
the ants! OMG get the ants off me!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:51:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

Mites, invisible mites burrowing in my skin, laying eggs and defecating everywhere.
It didn't help that the Ab therapy gave me horrible acne too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:02:53 AM EST
I was in the hospital for 2 weeks last year. Scraped the first layer of skin on my shin on a hike. No blood or nothing, it got infected, couldnt walk on it 2 days later got an ambulance ride to Bismarck. In the ER they hit me with dilaudid. OMG that was good stuff pain went away. I was on that and codiene the entire time in there. I can see why people get addicted to opiods but unless theres a hot nurse giving it to me then its not for me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:03:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

This.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:03:46 AM EST

Yeah, but once you get past that, it is sooooooooooooo groovy!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:04:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By mizzarley:
I got Vicodin when I tore up my shoulder. They didn't do anything, and after the fourth one in six hours, I flushed em.

This. Advil worked better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:11:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By pdm:

Yes my sister was a junkie.. She was there when I had the "rush" I looked at her and asked how the hell she liked it... She just smiled...

They gave me Oxycodine (sp) 5mg for home.... Not as bad as the Dilaudid but still not fun... I think I am going to see how long I can take the pain...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:11:57 AM EST
I had surgery a couple weeks ago and as they were wheeling me down the hall to the O.R. a fellow in scrubs introduced himself ;"Good morning,Mr. Hillen.My name is Frank and I'll be administering the anesthesia this morning.Welcome to paradise!" I had to LOL........

Hydrocodone stops me up as if I'd eaten a bag of Sacrete and plain Tylenol is nearly as effective for me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:13:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By DanaHillen:
I had surgery a couple weeks ago and as they were wheeling me down the hall to the O.R. a fellow in scrubs introduced himself ;"Good morning,Mr. Hillen.My name is Frank and I'll be administering the anesthesia this morning.Welcome to paradise!" I had to LOL........

Hydrocodone stops me up as if I'd eaten a bag of Sacrete and plain Tylenol is nearly as effective for me.

Welcome to paradise!

I didn't get anybody with a sense of humor for any of my knee stuff.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:17:01 AM EST
Dilaudid in IV form was the best thing ever for my kidney stones. But it still made me dizzy and a bit nauseous.

All the other oral opiates I've been given make me throw up. And morphine in an IV made me feel like I really wanted to puke.

I could see them for pain, but would never imagine taking them for fun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By Spade:
Dilaudid in IV form was the best thing ever for my kidney stones. But it still made me dizzy and a bit nauseous.

All the other oral opiates I've been given make me throw up. And morphine in an IV made me feel like I really wanted to puke.

I could see them for pain, but would never imagine taking them for fun.

I've had dilaudid a couple times;morphine a number of times,demerol a number of times.The Demerol made my vein hurt and burn like hell but none of it made me nauseous.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:31:46 AM EST
Allergic to opiates.

If I'm wounded, I get fentanyl.
I actually have three foil-wrapped lollipops taped to my dogtag chain right now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:34:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By WackyG:
I've been taking at least 10mg of Hydrocodone 4 to 6 times daily for 5 years, so I am one of those addicts you speak of. Without it, I couldn't walk. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a bitch. Why take it? So I can go to work.

ETA: Oxy works better, but will cork you up like nobody's business.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you, 4 or 6 hydro and one percocet at night to help go to sleep. I think there are a lot of people who do not understand what kind of pain it takes to make a non addict take this shit. My day starts with one or two painkillers just so I can move. It is great fun to wake up every day in horrible pain so bad you cannot stand up but must roll out of bed onto your knees until you can get vertically oriented and then stand up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:35:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By tweeter:
Allergic to opiates.

I actually have three foil-wrapped lollipops taped to my dogtag chain right now.

Fentanyl is an opiate.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:43:30 AM EST
Oxycontin is my choice.........
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:52:13 AM EST
Allergic to opiates.

I wore the patches for a while.

I actually had one bust open and leak onto my chest at work.

I scrubbed that stuff off with soap and water ASAP, (scared the hell out of me). I told the Doc to find something different after that shit happened.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:54:57 AM EST
same reaction to whenever i've had to take it.

nausea without vomiting. would i could actually vomit and "Get it out" mentally.

others, i think don't have the same reaction and they easily become addicted.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:56:35 AM EST
My wife and I both don't care for them either. Must just be wired wrong luckily.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:01:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 8:14:27 AM EST by Alien]
Vicodin made me puke. Two percocets will have me feeling good. One only takes the edge off the pain. I still have a full bottle for a rainy day.

The extras from my oral surgery came in VERY handy when I nearly fractured/broke my ankle a couple of weeks ago. Luckily it was only a very severe sprain, but the pain was awful at the time but the percocets and ibuprofen kept the pain mostly at bay. Thanks to having a supply already I didn't have to rush to leave the house to get the new prescription filled and then have to go back to pick it up. Luckily I only had to take them for 2-3 days until the pain subsided enough to where the Ibuprofen alone kept it manageable. I wouldn't want to be popping them every day. They turn your crap to clay with enough use and make it so I have to think really hard to take a piss. They never made me feel like shit, just drowsy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:02:39 AM EST
There are many different reactions had by different people.
Many will have the same feeling as you and just get the nausea and upset stomach. (such as my wife)

Many will get the euphoric burst of energy that will make them feel invincable...(myself)
When you get this feeling and the narcotics are free flowing it is easy to fall for them.
Daunting tasks suddenly become easy and you feel you can conquer anything in your way.
Then the day comes where you must quit this and everything is 3x as hard as normal and wish you had a fix.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:04:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:
Allergic to opiates.

Fentanyl is an opiate.

I get fentanyl lollipops because I'm allergic to the natural stuff like morphine and most codeines.
Fentanyl is synthetic, I'm told it's not used very much because it's more powerful and more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:07:35 AM EST
First post and all that. It is remarkably easy for many people to get addicted to the opium based stuff. I've seen it in friends a couple of times and they all say the same thing: You don't even realize that it happened until it's too late. I think some of the prescription stuff is the most dangerous because it doesn't generate much in the way of extreme behavior or heavy cravings. There are fewer warning signs early on. That's what I have observed anyway.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:13:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:
Allergic to opiates.

Fentanyl is an opiate.

I get fentanyl lollipops because I'm allergic to the natural stuff like morphine and most codeines.
Fentanyl is synthetic, I'm told it's not used very much because it's more powerful and more expensive.

IIRC fentanyl is like 100 or 1000 times more potent than morphine per the same dose. It's given in much smaller quantities.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:15:31 AM EST
Anyone can get addicted physically
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top