Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/24/2004 10:19:15 AM EST
I live in a small community, which is overwhelmingly Catholic, and driving home last night I noticed several signs supporting democrats for election ranging from local elections all the way to supporting kerry. Can anyone explain to me how a practicing Catholic can support a democrat ? It just does not make any sense at all to me.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:21:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:22:52 AM EST
No I can't understand nor explain it.

These Catholics should be ashamed of themsleves.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:28:32 AM EST
My parents are staunch church going (they go every day) Catholics. They are also hard core Democrats. There are many issues important to them. For one thing, they are now getting money out of the system that they put into for many decades. Democrats give out a lot of tax money. I don't fault them for their religious or political beliefs, even though we are worlds apart on both. I vote based on who is best for me. They vote based on who is best for them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:31:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 10:33:11 AM EST by longshot_va]
I could.... but it will undoubtedly start a Catholic Bashing tangent.

Just speaks to the lack of leadership and credibility within the Catholic Church.

The majority (NOTE: NOT ALL) of Catholics don't follow the doctrine of their own Church. If it takes two to tango, it is the same for the body of the Church. The leadership doesn't even talk about the evils of abortion and immoral behavior any more. They are too busy ( as many protestant churches are) trying to avert their own demise by inclusive teaching.

The Church is not living up to its (IMHO primary) function of feeding the body, the people who are dying on the vine as a result.

For more evidence:

Ratzinger says it's OK to vote for pro-abortion politicians
www.cathnews.com/news/407/45.php

Catholics allowed pro-choice vote (Ratzinger at it again)
www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1209235/posts

Catholics allowed pro-choice vote
www.freep.com/news/politics/abort7e_20040907.htm

Catholic States are Pro-Abortion
www.trosch.org/chu/cathabor.htm

-LS

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:33:45 AM EST
I don't. Next.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:36:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 10:56:08 AM EST by wedge1082]
Some Catholics just can't handle having a big penis, and feel the need to try to lesson their manhood by voting for democrats.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:46:27 AM EST

Some Catholics do vote for the Ten Commandments and the teachings of Christ.

Catholics Against Kerry

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:53:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By Malpaso:
I vote based on who is best for me. They vote based on who is best for them.

I vote on what's best for the country and adhere's to the constitution. It's not always about ME.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:54:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By PONY_DRIVER:

I vote on what's best for the country and adhere's to the constitution. It's not always about ME.

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:56:39 AM EST

Based on what you believe is best for the country, and your interpretation of the consititution. No different from me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:11:08 AM EST
It isn't just Catholics. Plenty of Protestant denominations lean heavily to the left: Unitarians,some Lutherans, Episcopalians,African Methodist Episcopal (AME), & certain Methodist and liberal Baptist organizations for example. Even in my own church (assistant pastor has a small picture of Reagan behind his desk) there are plenty of Democrats whose main focus is support of welfare. They can't see why we "don't support helping others with tax money" as a form of state mandated Christian charity.
The odd thing to me about Catholics is that though they all supposedly answer to the same hierarchy of the church and the holy see, they seem just as split politically and ideologically as us protestants are.
BTW, this protestant has no problem at all with the Catholics whom I'm marched alongside at anti-abortion rallies.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:19:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:42:27 AM EST
As a Catholic, I could not vote for anyone who goes against the moral teachings of the Church. Republican or Democrat.

Side Note: When on vacation, I have attend other Catholic Churches in Ohio and I am amazed how different they are from the traditional Catholic Church I attend in Texas. To me, they are not even Catholic anymore but some kind of pseudo-Protestant church
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:45:57 AM EST

Worth quoting PONY_DRIVER!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:03:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:13:50 PM EST
I'm a Republican Catholic but I support a woman's right to choose
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:15:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 12:16:02 PM EST by wedge1082]

Originally Posted By DefMan:
I'm a Republican Catholic but I support a woman's right to choose kill people

You had a misspelled word in there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:20:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:29:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By wedge1082:
I'm a Republican Catholic but I support a woman's right to choose kill people

I'll go a little further. If you consider yourself a Catholic or other of another Christian denomination and vote for a candidate who is Pro-choice or Pro-Gay rights/marriage then your not truly a Christian. (My personal opinion)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:13:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:
American Catholics don't pay as much attention to Rome as they do in other countries.

You are SO very much correct!

The AMerican Catholic are more "me" orientated instead of cumminity orientated when it comes to the church.

This has caused many problems.....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:13:27 PM EST
As a Catholic, I believe that others of the same faith have their priorities out-of-wack if they vote for Kerry (or most other Dems for that matter). This is my biggest problem with the Church, if it stands for anything, it should stand against these politicians that claim to be Catholic but support views contrary to the Church.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:15:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 1:16:10 PM EST by sgtar15]

Originally Posted By wedge1082:

I'm a Republican Catholic but I support a woman's right to choose kill people kill innocent children because you didn't take responsibility for you're own selfish actions.

You had a misspelled word in there.

Fixed it again...

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:17:49 PM EST
I don't either.
Top Top