Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:15:49 AM EDT
I purchased like 70 MRE entree's a few years ago but I'm wondering if they're still good. I don't see any kind of "born on" date. Only thing I can find is something like this stamped on 'em:

1319A COMM. 1 10:43

Are these gonna kill me if they've gone bad or will they just lose their nutritional value?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:17:21 AM EDT

If the product is labeled MRE, its no good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:17:47 AM EDT
The only way for sure is to taste them. All the dates are is a recommendation. The dates vary with temperture and sunlight exposure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:19:54 AM EDT
Send them to me, ill let you know. They shouls still be good inless they were stored in sever heat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:20:34 AM EDT
whar do you mean, "still" good...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 8:22:26 AM EDT by Johninaustin]
Eat them. If you suffer Massive Rectal Expulsion, then they were bad.

Then again, that's what good one's will do too.

If they were stored away from extreme conditions and the pouches not punctured, I would not worry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:37:43 AM EDT
They were stored at my parent's house in a box, but their house is usually like 80+ degrees. Ugh.

I'm just wondering if they're going to kill me or not. After Hurricane Katrina in Gulfport, I've actually grown to like them. Just not sure if the ones I have up here are death packs or not. :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:39:02 AM EDT
Tag

I have a few from a few years ago. Have been afraid to tr y them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:46:19 AM EDT
I've eaten some that were damn old. They won't hurt you, but they may taste nasty. Obviously if you find a pouch that is bloated, it's bad. But otherwise, they can last for 10 years or more but the paletability will be poor. The crackers, cakes & such were still good. Peanut butter took some mashing to get it mixed. I still have some crackers around, & drink mix. Oh, the Chicklets were the pits.

BTW, they irradiate MRE's so it kills everything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:53:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CS223:
BTW, they irradiate MRE's so it kills everything.

So THAT'S why I'm growing another nose!

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:22:39 AM EDT
With any questionable food, before eating, feed a spoonful to your dog. If he sniffs, backs away and whines, throw that crap out.

If he eats it and want more, you know it at the very least tastes like crap. Dogs will eat almost anything.

Observe dog. If dog is OK after an hour, not throwing up or crapping all over the place, or eating grass and then throwing up, then feed some to your spouse. Hey, honey, try this.

If you survive feeding it to your spouse, it is probably safe to eat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:01:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:04:52 AM EDT
If its still sealed shut, then its still good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:10:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
With any questionable food, before eating, feed a spoonful to your dog. If he sniffs, backs away and whines, throw that crap out.

If he eats it and want more, you know it at the very least tastes like crap. Dogs will eat almost anything.

Observe dog. If dog is OK after an hour, not throwing up or crapping all over the place, or eating grass and then throwing up, then feed some to your spouse. Hey, honey, try this.

My dog regularly eats shit out of the cat box. I ain't trusting him for ANYTHING having to do with "is this good to eat?"

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:51:02 PM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dog regularly eats shit out of the cat box. I ain't trusting him for ANYTHING having to do with "is this good to eat?"

Sir, you have poor reading comprehension... that is why the next step is the spouse test. Duh!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:54:49 PM EDT

If it's good enough for the dog then it's good enough for you....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:28 PM EDT
If its bad, You will smell it when you open it.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:08:30 PM EDT

Thanks for the laugh!

It's now my new sig line...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:34 PM EDT
It's still good. Trust me.

Then post a range report.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:17:02 PM EDT
All the dry goods such as crackers, freeze dried fruits, drink mixes are all fine as long as the packaging hasn't been pierced. The stuff with moisture such as the meats, brownies, etc... are suseptable to spoilage. One key sign is if the vacuumed packages are bloated or if they smell bad (as if rotting) when you open them. If they tase overy strong, bitter, or sour, they've gone bad. Heat is a major spoiler. cool dry place is pretty much standard when it comes to keeping food.

You should consume them within 5 years or so. If you have a SHTF stockpile, rotate them every 5 years as well. Don't be ashamed of tossing them. They have served their purpose and were in use by being ready (even if they were never eaten).
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:55:01 PM EDT
Go ahead and eat them. If you can't shit for a week there okay.
If you can't shit for two weeks they are still okay but getting old.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:12:34 PM EDT
The kidlets and I broke out some MRE's for dinner the other night just as a test run to see how the things work. They thought it was pretty cool, particularly using the MRE warmers. These MRE's were from '99 and have been kept inside at all times. We tried various flavors. None of it seemed like it was spoiled or harmful. About half of it just wasn't all that tasty and the other half was ok. So now I'm looking to order up a few more of the flavors they like.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:42:41 PM EDT
www.mreinfo.com/mres-how-old.html

This link will tell you how to read the date code.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:12:03 PM EDT
If it tastes really good, they've gone bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:04:45 AM EDT
Give 'em to Mikey. If Mikey eat's it, then it's ok

Top Top