Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/28/2003 6:25:42 AM EDT
RANT ON.

As a 50 year old white male, I am sick and tired of the dumbing down and the lowering down of the lifestyle of America, by the influence of certain immigrants to this country. It seems as if intead of the immigrants converting to America's rules, they instead want to change America to their former country's heritage styles. i.e. - Our lose of our Christian beliefs, but Muslim, and other religions are ok to have and flaunt!

Another example: Why must most everything be written in both English and Mexican? By doing so it is sheer hypocracy and a slap in the face to all other non Mexican immigrants. Because it is leaving out ever other person's language who happens to NOT be from Mexico. So why not just have everything in English which would make the Mexicans actually LEARN the language instead of not?

And this isn't only about Mexicans. The "I'm not abiding by America's heritage and laws, I want to bring my 3rd world country's lifestyle here", is commonly heard now days from a long list of immigrants. Since when does America have to shed her heritage for the incoming foreigners?

I'm pissed, and to be honest i blame the PC Police and other libs are the cause for the "Dumbing Down of America".

RANT OFF.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:28:25 AM EDT
A lot of the spanish on packages is strictly about money. The companies make decisions based on the bottom line. And some areas have large populations of certain groups that politicians would like to have voting for them, hence some political things going on.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:37:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 7:08:21 AM EDT by Backstop]
Keyser, In answer to your question, you can't say that and not appear to be a racist to some groups. Your thoughts are shared by many, many folks. And many here on this site. You don't say where you're at, but here in/around San Antonio I deal with the non English speaking people almost daily. I work construction, and the number of folks who don't (?? won't) speak English is frustrating, to say the least.
Since when does America have to shed her heritage for the incoming foreigners?
View Quote
Well, many of us say "We won't." But just look at what happened to the young lady who wanted to start an "European Heritage Celebration" type club in her school. Not the right title- I'll be back with a link. You're not alone, man.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:41:09 AM EDT
be careful with the racial thing here, it was not long ago that i was crucified for a similar thing
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:00:07 AM EDT
Maybe I'm just an old fart, and along with that old fashioned too. I wonder how many other "old farts" are members here who also share the same concern as I do.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:03:12 AM EDT
I established a policy here at work, that if you don't speak/understand english, you don't work here. I told them it was a safety issue. They bought it. It was amazing how many spanish speakers all of a sudden could speak and understand english. I am now trying to figure out how to make english our company's "official" language. Of course that is going to be done also for safety reasons also. I just have to figure out how to present it correctly.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:04:54 AM EDT
yo estoy disenfranchised!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:08:04 AM EDT
With legal immigration you would be able to control these issues With illegal immigration and the acceptance of it by the collusion of businesses and government we lack any way to control it short of pretending these people and their families don't exist. It's a fight that I'd say has been lost, you can't unring a bell and I doubt there is the political will to block the border sufficiently to stem the tide. Trojan horse of our own making.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:10:41 AM EDT
I must say, the Spanish dual instructions on seemingly everything these days pisses me off too. I can't imagine imigrating to another country and expecting them to accept my native language. As stated in an earlier post, mostly this crap is about corporate profits. I have noting against anyone coming into our country to better themselves and adopt our value system but to come in and try change our values I have a serious problem with that!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:19:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze: Maybe I'm just an old fart, and along with that old fashioned too. I wonder how many other "old farts" are members here who also share the same concern as I do.
View Quote
i am not an old fart yet, but i do agree with you. its only going to get worse in my opinion. You better get used to it
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:24:54 AM EDT
La resistencia es inutil, todos seran asimilados!!! [:D] NsB
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:25:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze: Maybe I'm just an old fart, and along with that old fashioned too. I wonder how many other "old farts" are members here who also share the same concern as I do.
View Quote
Well, should'nt be hard to tell...you posted this to get a reaction. You are getting it now. How many people agree with you...probably a lot. I do. I've noticed that your new here...where are you from? How did find out about this great board? Welcome to Ar15.com! [bounce]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:26:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze: Another example: Why must most everything be written in both English and Mexican?
View Quote
I was unaware Mexico had it's own written language. Most Mexicans speak either Emglish or Spanish.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:32:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 7:51:04 AM EDT by Cazador223]
Orginally posted by Keyser_Soze: Why must most everything be written in both English and Mexican?
View Quote
It's Spanish, not Mexican. You really don't look like a racist, just like some ignorant white trash that does not know the difference. Not everyone who speaks Spanish is Mexican Edited to add: Have you ever used an ATM in Mexico? Well guess what, you can choose to do the transaction in English or Spanish and I don't here any Mexicans bitching about that. Tom
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:33:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan: I was unaware Mexico had it's own written language. Most Mexicans speak either Emglish or Spanish.
View Quote
All of the Mexicans that I've met speak Spanish, but with their own particular idiom and accent that identifies them as Mexican to Puerto Rican, Cuban, Chilean or Spanish people. A small percentage of Mexicans from the southernmost states of Mexico speak Indio languages, but very few Mexicans speak Emglish.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:39:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze: How can I say this without coming off like a racist? As a [red]50 year old white male[/red]...
View Quote
[B]Brrzzt!![/b] You can't say anything without coming off like a racist. So stop grovelling and just say it. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:41:22 AM EDT
Here in Mass our Gov pushed to get rid of english taught as a 2nd language in public schools. It's been proven throughout the country that english immersion is the best and fastest way to teach english to non english speaking students. That is, teachers teach in english at pretty much all times. This went to a statewide referendum vote where it passed overwhelmingly. English immersion teaching was signed into law. Guess what? The liberal teachers unions refused to do it, and the liberal legislature refused to fund it, both violating the law. Now the liberals have more happy, non english speakers to vote their way. This state really sucks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:18:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 8:20:29 AM EDT by DScott]
Nobody likes bums, no matter what color they are, or what language they speak. So what's new about that? This country takes people in- some change to fit what exists, some create a change in the country. Assimilation and accomodation. It's The Law! (tm)
The following list contains the names of first generation immigrants who left their homelands to reside in the United States. The contributions of these and other immigrants have enriched our culture, advanced our sciences, and inspired us throughout the years. Madeleine Albright, Former U.S. Secretary of State (Czechoslovakia) Isabel Allende, author (Chile) Mario Andretti, race car driver (Italy) Julie Andrews, actress (Great Britain) Dan Aykroyd, actor (Canada) Alexander Graham Bell, inventor (Scotland) Hans Bethe, Nobel Prize-winning physicist (Germany) David Bowie, singer (Great Britain) Yul Brynner, actor (Japan) Michael Caine, actor (Great Britain) Frank Capra, director, It's a Wonderful Life, (Italy) Elaine Chao, Secretary of Labor (Taiwan) Liz Claiborne, fashion designer (Belgium) Joan Collins, actress (Great Britain) Nadia Comaneci, gymnast (Romania) Edwidge Danticat, author Breath, Eyes, Memory (Haiti) Oscar de la Renta, fashion designer (Dominican Republic) Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize Winner (Germany) Jaime Escalante,teacher, Stand and Deliver (Bolivia) Gloria Estefan, singer/songwriter (Cuba) Patrick Ewing, basketball player, New York Knicks (Jamaica) Father Edward Flanagan, founder of Boys Town (Ireland) Michael J. Fox, actor (Canada) Max Frankel, former Executive Editor, New York Times (Germany) Felix Frankfurter, Supreme Court Justice (Austria) John Kenneth Galbraith, economist/presidential advisor (Canada) Greta Garbo, actress (Sweden) Andy Garcia, actor, Hero (Cuba) Alexander Godunov, dancer/actor (Russia) Samuel Goldwyn, founder, MGM Studios (Poland) Cary Grant, actor (Great Britain) Wayne Gretzky, hockey player, New York Rangers (Canada) Andrew Grove, founder, Intel Corporation (Hungary) Le Ly Hayslip, author, When Heaven and Earth Change Places (Vietnam) Audrey Hepburn, actress (Belgium) Dr. David Ho, Time Magazine's 1996 Man of the Year, scientist/AIDS researcher (Taiwan) Bob Hope, comedian (Great Britain) Vladimir Horowitz, pianist (Russia) Peter Jennings, network television anchor (Canada) Elton John, songwriter/singer (Great Britain) Bela Karolyi, Olympic gymnastic coach (Romania) Elia Kazan, director, On the Waterfront (Turkey) Henry Kissinger, former Secretary of State (Germany) Ted Koppel, network television anchor, Nightline (England) Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, physician/author, On Death and Dying (Switzerland) Madeline Kunin, fomer Governor of Vermont (Switzerland) Angela Lansbury, actress Murder She Wrote (England) Bette Bao Lord, author (China) Yo Yo Ma, concert cellist (France) Robert MacNeil, former network television anchor, MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour (Canada) Ann Margret, actress/singer (Sweden) Mel Martinez, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (Cuba) Peter Max, artist (Germany) Zubin Mehta, conductor (India) Gian Carlo Menotti, composer (Italy) Midori, classical violinist (Japan) [red]Ricardo Montalban, actor, Fantasy Island (Mexico) [/red] Dudley Moore, actor (Great Britain) Edmund Morris, author, Pulitzer Prize recipient (Kenya) Josie Natori, fashion designer (Phillipines) Martina Navratilova, tennis player (Czechoslovakia) Louise Nevelson, sculptor (Russia) Mike Nichols, Academy Award-winning director, The Graduate (Germany) Rudolf Nureyev, dancer (Russia) Hakeem Olajuwon, basketball player, Houston Rockets (Nigeria) Claus Oldenberg, artist (Sweden) Yoko Ono, vocalist/songwriter (Japan) Seiji Ozawa, conductor (Japan) Frank Oz, puppeteer/film director, Little Shop of Horrors (Great Britian) Rafael Palmiero, baseball player, Baltimore Orioles (Cuba) I.M. Pei, architect (China) Cesar Pelli, architect/educator, (Argentina) Itzhak Perlman, violinist (Israel) Sidney Poitier, Academy Award-winning actor, Lillies of the Field (Bahamas) Andre Previn, pianist/ composer (Germany) Juliet Prowse, dancer (India) [red]Anthony Quinn, Academy Award-winning actor (Mexico) [/red] Helen Reddy, actress (Russia) Jhoon Goo Rhee, Tae Kwon Do expert (Korea) Hyman Rickover, U.S. Naval Admiral (Poland) Knute Rockne, Notre Dame University football coach (Norway) Isabella Rossellini, actress (Italy) Rena Rowan, fashion designer, (Russia) Morley Safer, network television co-host, 60 Minutes (Canada) [red]Carlos Santana, Grammy Award winning rock/jazz guitarist (Mexico) [/red] Arnold Schwarzenegger, actor, Terminator (Austria) John Secada, singer (Cuba) Andres Segovia, classical guitarist (Spain) John Shalikashvili, former Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff (Poland) William Shatner, actor Star Trek (Canada) Gene Simmons, rock musician, Kiss (Israel) Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize recipient (Poland) Yakov Smirnoff, comedian (Russia) George Soros, investor, philanthropist (Hungary) Sammy Sosa, baseball player, Chicago Cubs (Dominican Republic) Saul Steinberg, artist (Romania) Isaac Stern, concert violinist (Russia) Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor, C++ computer language (Denmark) David Sun, co-founder, Kingston Technology, (Taiwan) Jessica Tandy, Academy and Tony Award-winning actress (Great Britain) Elizabeth Taylor, Academy Award-winning actress (Great Britain) Chang-Lin Tien, Chancellor, U.C. Berkeley (China) Tobias Taurel, President and CEO, Eli Lilly and Co. (Morocco) Danny Thomas, actor (Lebanon) Alex Trebek, game show host, Jeopardy (Canada) [red]Lee Trevino, professional golfer (Mexico) [/red] John Tu, co-founder, Kingston Technologies, (China) Eddie Van Halen, rock guitarist/musician (Netherlands) Maria von Trapp, musician/author (Austria) Derek Walcott, Nobel Prize-winning poet (St. Lucia) An Wang, founder, Wang Laboratories (Korea) Charles B. Wang, CEO, Computer Associates, International (China) Wayne Wang, film director, The Joy Luck Club (China) Lowell Weicker, U.S. Senator (France) Dr. Ruth Westheimer, psychologist/television personality (Germany) Elie Wiesel, author/Nobel Prize winner for Peace/Holocaust survivor (Romania) Billy Wilder, Academy Award-winning director, The Apartment (Austria) Jerry (Chih-Yuah) Yang, co-founder, Yahoo!, Inc. (Taiwan) Neil Young, musician/ songwriter (Canada) Pinchas Zukerman, concert violinist (Israel).
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:33:50 AM EDT
Not a defense of all dual labeling, just a partial explanation. The reason some products have both english and spanish instructions is because they are marketed in the US and Mexico. Just watch Sabado Gigante on Saturday night and see what I mean...plus a bunch of hot chicks as well. Blame NAFTA. I am less bothered by immigrants coming here to work and needing help with the language than I am with the descendants of a certain group of forced migrants who after 200 years still can't get their shit together let alone speak the Queen's english. I'd gladly trade mexicans or cubans for those knuckleheads. Of course, if I had my choice between these two I would rather have Cubans than Mexicans but that's a whole other thread. [banana]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:48:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cazador223:
Orginally posted by Keyser_Soze: Why must most everything be written in both English and Mexican?
View Quote
It's Spanish, not Mexican. You really don't look like a racist, just like some ignorant white trash that does not know the difference. Not everyone who speaks Spanish is Mexican Tom
View Quote
Spanish huh? As in Spain? Mexicans have nothing in common with Spaniards at all. Mexicans are a mix of Indians and Aztecs I believe. And nice try at your attempt to turn this into a racist bash fest.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:00:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 9:08:02 AM EDT by thelastgunslinger]
You cant say that without sounding like a racist, because thats what it is. Maybe you missed the point of what this country is about. Its not about Christianity or speaking english, its about FREEDOM. Freedom to say whatever you want, in whatever language you want. Freedom to pray to any god, or no god. Freedom to live your life how you want it and defend it. Freedom to own property and defend it. Maybe you should reread the documents that imaginable? They are simply trying to reach founded this country, because they make no mention of Christianity or everyone speaking english. I guess since I am Jewish, I am not a part of this country's heritage. Well guess what, my family has been here, "flaunting our beliefs" in this country since the 1830's. When did your people immigrate here? Has you family been contributing to the greatness of this country for almost 200 years? Mine has. My Grandfather was awarded a silver star in WWII for running an important message accross a heated battlefield and my father was awarded a bronze star in the Vietnam conflict, but I guess since they aren't Christians their contributions mean nothing to you. So a lot of people in this country speak spanish, whats the big deal? If it limits their employment opportunities, and it probably does, that's no skin off of your back. Why do you really care that things are written in Mexican (sic) as well as english? Maybe you commonly see things written in spanish because that is the most common language other than english spoken in this county. Its not a slap in the face to other immigrants, there simply aren't enough of them to warrant using whatever language it is that they speak in every instance. Have you ever noticed that some companies go ahead and write the instructions for their products in just about every language the largest market possible for their products. Its just smart business. So back to the title of your post. You do sound like a racist, and you probably are. Why are you writing inflammatory racist remarks here on a gun board? Maybe you should take you bigotry to a KKK or Neo-Nazi forum, where it belongs. Edited to add: And as far as writing me off as some bleeding heart liberal. My politics are as conservative as they come. But strictly in the true sense of the word, in that I believe we should have a government that abides strictly by the constitution, and doesn't meddle in the affairs of it's citizens.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:05:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze:
Originally Posted By Cazador223:
View Quote
It's Spanish, not Mexican. You really don't look like a racist, just like some ignorant white trash that does not know the difference. Not everyone who speaks Spanish is Mexican Tom
View Quote
Spanish huh? As in Spain? Mexicans have nothing in common with Spaniards at all. Mexicans are a mix of Indians and Aztecs I believe. And nice try at your attempt to turn this into a racist bash fest.
View Quote
Mexicans have nothing in common with Spaniards like Americans have nothing in common with Englishmen. Nothing in common except language, culture and religion. Other than those inconsequential details, I can't think of any common traits. If they're speaking Mexican, you must be speaking American.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:06:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:10:25 AM EDT
as I've said here before... I'm a grandson of Immigrants to this country. My Grandpa and his family were so proud to be here in America, they didn't bother carrying on their "native" language, they took it upon themselves to learn english, as they were now Americans. I have no problems with learning a new language, but it's for my benifit, not others. Every place overseas I've been, people have been more receptive to me and my attempts to use thier language than just trying to get by on english alone. (well, in japan, it was a bit different, the college girls were more interested in speaking english with an American, but hey, no problem)[}:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:13:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: Hello, [b]Milsurp[/b].
View Quote
No shit? Same IP????
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:16:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze: RANT ON. As a 50 year old white male, I am sick and tired of the dumbing down and the lowering down of the lifestyle of America, by the influence of certain immigrants to this country. It seems as if intead of the immigrants converting to America's rules, they instead want to change America to their former country's heritage styles. i.e. - Our lose of our Christian beliefs, but Muslim, and other religions are ok to have and flaunt! Another example: Why must most everything be written in both English and Mexican? By doing so it is sheer hypocracy and a slap in the face to all other non Mexican immigrants. Because it is leaving out ever other person's language who happens to NOT be from Mexico. So why not just have everything in English which would make the Mexicans actually LEARN the language instead of not? And this isn't only about Mexicans. The "I'm not abiding by America's heritage and laws, I want to bring my 3rd world country's lifestyle here", is commonly heard now days from a long list of immigrants. Since when does America have to shed her heritage for the incoming foreigners? I'm pissed, and to be honest i blame the PC Police and other libs are the cause for the "Dumbing Down of America". RANT OFF.
View Quote
THELASTGUNSLINGER said: So back to the title of your post. You do sound like a racist, and you probably are. Why are you writing inflammatory racist remarks here on a gun board? Maybe you should take you bigotry to a KKK or Neo-Nazi forum, where it belongs. --------------------------------------------- AND I REPLY: I don't see anything racist about what I said. And you find it okay to label me along side with the KKK, Nazis and Skin Heads. You sound like a pc nanny labeling me the racist. You know, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Johhny Cochran and others are famous for doing the same thing. The jist of my opening statement was how America is becoming a country that is losing its heritage because eveyone coming to this country does not want to adapt to America's standards. (READ Learn to FUCKING read and speak english). Seems to me your family adapted and followed the rules and emmigrated legally, all the while WITHOUT needing everthing written in another language.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:24:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 9:27:58 AM EDT by Keyser_Soze]
View Quote
Don't try that "Hello MILSURP!" shit with me. I've watched from the rafters for a month before joining how anyone that that has an opposing opinion and isn't a lifer here at arfcom is immediately labeled a MILSURP. And let me guess. This is where everyone meets in the TEAM AR15 room and decides my fate. What is this some kind of witch hunt?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:26:21 AM EDT
View Quote
Don't try that "Hello MILSURP!" shit with me. I've watched from the rafters for a month before joining how anyone that that has an opposing opinion and isn't a lifer here at arfcom is immediately labeled a MILSURP.
View Quote
I think pretty much everyone here has agreed with you so far, so what is your point again????? p.s. I don't think you will be here long, just a guess?????
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:28:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze: RANT ON. As a 50 year old white male, I am sick and tired of the dumbing down and the lowering down of the lifestyle of America, by the influence of certain immigrants to this country. It seems as if intead of the immigrants converting to America's rules, they instead want to change America to their former country's heritage styles. i.e. - Our lose of our Christian beliefs, but Muslim, and other religions are ok to have and flaunt! Another example: Why must most everything be written in both English and Mexican? By doing so it is sheer hypocracy and a slap in the face to all other non Mexican immigrants. Because it is leaving out ever other person's language who happens to NOT be from Mexico. So why not just have everything in English which would make the Mexicans actually LEARN the language instead of not? And this isn't only about Mexicans. The "I'm not abiding by America's heritage and laws, I want to bring my 3rd world country's lifestyle here", is commonly heard now days from a long list of immigrants. Since when does America have to shed her heritage for the incoming foreigners? I'm pissed, and to be honest i blame the PC Police and other libs are the cause for the "Dumbing Down of America". RANT OFF.
View Quote
I'd say, based on your post, that the "dumbing down" of America has already occured. [;D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:30:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DScott:
View Quote
I'd say, based on your post, that the "dumbing down" of America has already occured. [;D]
View Quote
I'm not surprised by your idiocy, seeing how your in Mexifornia.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:31:28 AM EDT
That is an interesting list DScott. But I dont believe my life would be somehow lacking if none of those people ever immigrated.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:01:02 AM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
I'm not surprised by your idiocy, seeing how your in Mexifornia.
View Quote
¡Cómo profundamente! ¡Su penetración y profundidad del pensamiento es asombrosas!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:02:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan: That is an interesting list DScott. But I dont believe my life would be somehow lacking if none of those people ever immigrated.
View Quote
Maybe not, but I'm sure your life would look very different if your ancestors hadn't immigrated. Know what I mean?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:18:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze: Spanish huh? As in Spain? Mexicans have nothing in common with Spaniards at all. Mexicans are a mix of Indians and Aztecs I believe.
View Quote
For the love of God, go pick a History book!!! NsB
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:26:49 AM EDT
Is Milstup really back? Someone ban the everlasting life outa that troll. geez.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:39:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ipschoser1: I can't imagine imigrating to another country and expecting them to accept my native language.
View Quote
Try moving to Japan. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:59:12 AM EDT
The following list contains the names of first generation immigrants who left their homelands to reside in the United States. The contributions of these and other immigrants have enriched our culture, advanced our sciences, and inspired us throughout the years. Madeleine Albright, Former U.S. Secretary of State (Czechoslovakia) David Bowie, singer (Great Britain) Joan Collins, actress (Great Britain) Peter Jennings, network television anchor (Canada) Elton John, songwriter/singer (Great Britain) Ted Koppel, network television anchor, Nightline (England) Angela Lansbury, actress Murder She Wrote (England) Yoko Ono, vocalist/songwriter (Japan) Morley Safer, network television co-host, 60 Minutes (Canada) George Soros, investor, philanthropist (Hungary) Elizabeth Taylor, Academy Award-winning actress (Great Britain) Chang-Lin Tien, Chancellor, U.C. Berkeley (China) Alex Trebek, game show host, Jeopardy (Canada) Dr. Ruth Westheimer, psychologist/television personality (Germany)
View Quote
View Quote
Can we send these back, please?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:59:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By deimos: La resistencia es inutil, todos seran asimilados!!! [:D] NsB
View Quote
AAAAARRGGGGHHHH! EVEN THE BORG HAVE BEEN ASSIMILATED! [;)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:07:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DScott: ¡Cómo profundamente! ¡Su penetración y profundidad del pensamiento es asombrosas!
View Quote
For the record, your Spanish SUCKS! [;)] Also for the record, as a [s]Cuban-American[/s] American of Cuban descent, I, too, have problems with people who WON'T assimilate into America. I am of the opinion that road signs, etc., should follow the same criteria they do in Europe: they're all GRAPHIC, so they can be understood by ANYONE. I disagree completely with federal and state governments providing official documents in languages other than English, simply because I consider it a waste of taxpayer money. I wish someone would have the balls to stand up in COngress and submit legistlation (even if it is a Constitutional amendment) specifying that ENGLISH is the offical language of the United States.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:15:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Originally Posted By DScott: ¡Cómo profundamente! ¡Su penetración y profundidad del pensamiento es asombrosas!
View Quote
For the record, your Spanish SUCKS! [;)] Also for the record, as a [s]Cuban-American[/s] American of Cuban descent, I, too, have problems with people who WON'T assimilate into America. I am of the opinion that road signs, etc., should follow the same criteria they do in Europe: they're all GRAPHIC, so they can be understood by ANYONE. I disagree completely with federal and state governments providing official documents in languages other than English, simply because I consider it a waste of taxpayer money. I wish someone would have the balls to stand up in COngress and submit legistlation (even if it is a Constitutional amendment) specifying that ENGLISH is the offical language of the United States.
View Quote
Zaphod, I tried that here in this thread and got labeled a Nazi, White Trash, KKK, etc. Imagine what would happen if a politician tried it on Capitol Hill! And your response proves my point perfectly. Anyone even remotely attempting to have ENGLISH as the official language immediately gets the race card played on them. These "feel good", social programs weren't around when our ancestors became American citizens and they had to LEARN the language or be left out in the cold. But noooooooooooooooo...The do gooders feel it's my responsibility to help pay for road signs, voice mail messaging, books, advertisements, school lunch menus, voting booths, drivers licensing, to all be printed in both languages.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 12:37:07 PM EDT by Zaphod]
Originally Posted By Keyser_Soze: Zaphod, I tried that here in this thread and got labeled a Nazi, White Trash, KKK, etc. Imagine what would happen if a politician tried it on Capitol Hill! And your response proves my point perfectly. Anyone even remotely attempting to have ENGLISH as the official language immediately gets the race card played on them.
View Quote
The reason you got jumped on is because you sounded like an idiot who hates Mexicans. My post is based on logic and economics, and cuts across ALL other languages. Notice that I did NOT say that private enterprises can be forced to, say, eliminate Spanish from ATM's. THAT'S THEIR RIGHT, and they should be free to do so if they think a given market supports it.
These "feel good", social programs weren't around when our ancestors became American citizens and they had to LEARN the language or be left out in the cold. But noooooooooooooooo...The do gooders feel it's my responsibility to help pay for road signs, voice mail messaging, books, advertisements, school lunch menus, voting booths, drivers licensing, to all be printed in both languages.
View Quote
"Both" languages? Your point is valid, but your delivery is lacking. Hence the response you've gotten. Edited to add: Oh, yeah, and the fact that you're a known [:K] doesn't make things any better for you, either... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 12:41:07 PM EDT by thebeekeeper1]
Top Top