Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 10:57:45 PM EDT
A friend of mine got me to buy a pipe yesterday, and I really enjoy it. If I were to smoke once or twice a week, how bad would it be for me?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Insert one bullet, half cock hammer, spin cylinder, cock hammer, put to head, pull trigger.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Corncob pipe? Crack pipe? Bong?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
quit now while it's easy.
Don't know why I started smoking but it's a nasty deadly habit
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
static.howstuffworks.com/gif/revolver-ch.jpg

Insert one bullet, half cock hammer, spin cylinder, cock hammer, put to head, pull trigger.

Aim every other shot at your tongue or lips
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Corncob pipe? Crack pipe? Bong?

I think he is smoking the skin pipe.  No worries, topgun, you can suck all the cock you want and you won't get HIV.  A nasty rash maybe, but nothing deadly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
quit now while it's easy.
Don't know why I started smoking but it's a nasty deadly habit

Take Twonami's advice ... it will save your life.

One word : CANCEROUS
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
static.howstuffworks.com/gif/revolver-ch.jpg

Aim every other shot at your tongue or lips

Drama queens.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
heh guess so.

At any rate, I dont know if its a good idea to start something like that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A friend of mine got me to buy a pipe yesterday, and I really enjoy it. If I were to smoke once or twice a week, how bad would it be for me?

What do you mean by bad for you?

I think they're stinky.

MANY girls do.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Depends on what you put in it.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes everyone, I mean tobacco pipe. The GF is fine with it as long it's only an occasional thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yes everyone, I mean tobacco pipe. The GF is fine with it as long it's only an occasional thing.

I used to smoke a good cigar every now and then with some good whisky.  I don't think it will hurt anything as long as you don't do it too often.  Obviously it's healthier not to smoke at all, but we all have our pleasures.  I would be careful it doesn't progress to chew or cigarettes or anything.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#13]
throw some green in it
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#14]
If you don't smoke, don't start, it will be very tought to quit down the road.

You're venerable to a variety of cancers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Everything good is bad for you.

Sure there's some risk, and it increases with frequency - decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you mean by bad for you?

I think they're stinky.

MANY girls do.....

You're the first.

90% of the time, when smoking my pipe near women, i get "mmm, that smells good".

I have yet to have one single person complain that my pipe smoke stinks. but i've gotten plenty of compliments.

Also, What nowadays doesn't kill you?  

Personally, i say all things in moderation. Once every now and then isn't likely to do a thing to you.
Heck, look at how often you drive in a vehicle. You're still alive, right?

Smoking a pipe maybe once a week is nowhere even remotely close to smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Topgun,
My opinion is the occasional , once a week or so, smoke isn't go to kill you. There are plenty of people who make to a ripe old age smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. Then again there are many who don't As for the pipe unless your in the age range that allows you to join the AARP smoke cigars.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:33:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Remember this guy? Dead at 48 after his throat cancer metastasised to his spine.

And now for something completely different....
Euology by John Cleese
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:43:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Remember this guy? Dead at 48 after his throat cancer metastasised to his spine.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1f/Chapman.jpg/180px-Chapman.jpg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg/180px-Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg

Euology by John Cleese

Thanks for that video link -  that was funny
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Probably not too bad.

There is indeed some risk with any use of tobacco, but occasional use where you don't suck it all down into your lungs isn't as bad for you as the full blown chain smoker routine.

Pipe smoke, by the way, is the only tobacco smoke that actually smells pleasant. If I had to be around smoking, I would prefer a pipe smoker.

I wouldn't advise that anyone start smoking at all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:55:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg/180px-Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg

Euology by John Cleese

Graham Chapman did many things to excess, including smoking. He was always smoking his pipe as well as cigarettes, cigars, and lots of stuff that isn't quite as legal.

He was a heavy drinker too.

I don't believe it fair to blame the pipe for his death. He was a heavy smoker/drinker for most of his life. He continued to be a heavy smoker even after he stopped drinking.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Read an article a while back from a minister who's dentist had found "white skin" under his tongue.
He said he would keep an eye on it at the next checkup.
The next time the patch was bigger, so the dentist sent him to a doctor.

It was cancer.
When the Dr. started questioning him about smoking he said he didn't.
At one time there had been a seminary professor who the guy admired who smoked a pipe.
So, the minister gets himself a pipe, so he can emulate his mentor.

He said he would pack it up and smoke it once or twice a month, for 3-4 years.
He always hated the way it burned his mouth, and made him smell. It never really made him relax the way he thought it would. So, he quits after a couple of years.

Fast forward 5 years later, when the minister gets white skin under his tongue.
The doctor says "Well, the pipe is what did it."

The guy had part of his tongue and some other places in his mouth removed.
He said it was over a year later, and he still talked with a slight lisp.

This freaked me out, because that was the extent of my pipe smoking.
Once or twice a month for a couple of years, but that was twenty years ago.
So far, my mouth is healthy, but man! Who'd thunk that kind of light usage would cause problems?

So, if you're not smoking now, do you really want to start?

Something to think about, grasshoppa.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#24]
My dad smoked 10 Churchhill sized cigars every day of his life for about 30 years, drank scotch, and did a lot of other shit NOT considered healthy.  He died at 76 of an aneurism.  He never got cancer.  

So...the question you need to ask yourself, is...do you feel LUCKY?  (to paraphrase Dirty Harry lol).  

There's most likely a very small risk of oral cancer if you smoke a pipe occasionally...but it's there, nevertheless.  Is it worth that to you?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#25]
What are you smoking in it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#26]
evver see a picture of sigmund freud wearing his jaw cancer prosthetic?  it's sweet!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#27]
There have been studies to suggest that people who smoke pipes live longer lives with better quality-of-life, probably because of the relaxation and destressing inherent in the activity.

There have been studies to suggest that people who smoke pipes get cancer and die, probably because of the chemicals present in the smoke.

It's up to you which studies you want to believe. Just beware of tongue-bite, which you will get in your first couple weeks, but can usually be prevented afterwards.

I know far too much about pipes and cigars for someone who's never smoked.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I know far too much about pipes and cigars for someone who's never smoked.

I know that my grandfather died suddenly at age 78 of a massive heart attack after smoking only pipes and cigars (starting at age 12).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Euology by John Cleese

Graham Chapman did many things to excess, including smoking. He was always smoking his pipe as well as cigarettes, cigars, and lots of stuff that isn't quite as legal.

He was a heavy drinker too.

I don't believe it fair to blame the pipe for his death. He was a heavy smoker/drinker for most of his life. He continued to be a heavy smoker even after he stopped drinking.

Maybe. But it didn't help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top