Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2010 12:54:30 PM EDT
I started my IRA just about a year ago. So it's not huge. But it's doing about a 15 percent yield so far.

My IRA is with Vanguard, in the long term investment grade mutual fund. It's managed to do quite well even during a rather bad year.

I'm looking to diversify into other stable, good performing mutuals as well. What you're invested in may give me some clues as to what to look into.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 1:10:46 PM EDT by Paps-Zapf]
It was doing pretty good ($200K+) until the market crashed, then I lost about 40% (since it was a bit until I retired I had some high yield/high risk investments), then there was being laid off and trying not to default on any loans, and cashing out, then there was that penalty for early withdrawal and the tax liability, and then there was no more money left in the account and still unemployed, it will be two years in October since I was laid off.

So in general I am very disappointed in the return at this point!

How is yours?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:26:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
I started my IRA just about a year ago. So it's not huge. But it's doing about a 15 percent yield so far.

My IRA is with Vanguard, in the long term investment grade mutual fund. It's managed to do quite well even during a rather bad year.

I'm looking to diversify into other stable, good performing mutuals as well. What you're invested in may give me some clues as to what to look into.

Up 6% since January, as opposed to down about 8% for the S&P 500. Self-directed IRA.

I've done a lot of precious metals and trading in the pro-shares short index funds. I've been 50-70% in cash for most of the year. At about 1/3 cash now (did some buying in mid July).

Just my choices. This is not trading advice.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:38:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 10:41:46 AM EDT by BigJon314]
Basis of roth IRA: 8,000.00

Value on Jan 1, 2009: 4,500.00

Value today: 31,500.00.

All time max value: 35,500.00

Yes, I do trade...holding time is usually 3-6 months.

I am now long SPY in a massive way with LEAP options.
Long LLL (from 71ish) - currently in red on this one.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:41:01 AM EDT
Mine is at +14% for the last 12 months. Sure I lost a little when the market tanked but I bought the hell out of stocks (funds acutally) while they were on sale.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:52:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:

If long term investment grade mutual fund means long term investment grade BOND fund be careful. Long term bonds have had a good run as interest rates have fallen to historic lows. Vanguard LT investment grade is up like 16.5% 2010 YTD but the duration on that fund is almost 13. When rates turn that fund like every other long term bond fund will get killed. I like shorter term bond funds at the moment though most of my IRA bond money is individual bonds.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:30:07 PM EDT
Only have a 401k. First quarter earned 4.1% return. Second quarter now my total return is -6.3%.
Top Top