Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 10:03:10 PM EDT
I was thinking about getting one of these to sharpen my pocket knives and some kitchen knives.
Anybody here use one of these and does it work?  

Anybody have a better suggestion?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As in any sharpening system they are only as good as the steel in the knife, the quality of the sharpening media, and the person running it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I just use my Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker.

spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

After that I follow it up with a strop loaded with Craftsmen white pollishing compound on the rough side and red compound on the smooth.

Lansky sharpeners are pretty good.

www.lansky.com/products/systems/deluxe.html

But the Edgepro seems to be the best if you really need to be sure of you grind angles. But it's pricy.

www.edgeproinc.com/
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, with a little practice they work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the same style, but with wider diamond 'stones'. It is quite easy. I used to use an Arkansas stone and a steady hand.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Spyderco Triangle kit is the 1st and only sharpener I've been able to get to work well for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Gatco, which is the same concept.  As long as you make sure the rod is always against the same side of the slot it works very well.  I used to use a stone and a trained eye and hand.  It required lots of concentration and time to put a razor edge on my knives.  Now with the similar Gatco system I sharpen 2-3 times as many knives in the same amount of time and I do it in while watching T.V.

Kent
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have the same style, but with wider diamond 'stones'. It is quite easy. I used to use an Arkansas stone and a steady hand.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

+1 on the diamond stones. I have a Lansky which is very similar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a similar Lansky system. It works but I think it's kind of awkward. I started using just the set of stones & it works just as good for me doing it freehand after using the guide for a while to get the feel. Sharpening has always been a challenge for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Get the Spyderco Sharpmaker - it's around $40 bucks and the included video and book show how you can sharpen virtually anything in your house that needs it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get the Spyderco Sharpmaker - it's around $40 bucks and the included video and book show how you can sharpen virtually anything in your house that needs it.

Link?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Got my Spydie Sharpmaker on the eBay - but they're pretty much available at any on-line knife store.

Here's just one:
premiumknives.com/ShopSite/Spyderco_Tri_Angle_Sharpmaker_204mf.html
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one and it works well if the edge is maintained. My problem is I do not maintain my blades as I should and usually end up the old fashioned route and get tired out before moving to the ultra fine stuff. If you are looking for the best edge you can get, look at how a wood chisel is sharpened. It is also easier to maintain (less area to file down = less time spent sharpening).

Samuel
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I have owned several different sharpening systems and here are my inputs,

The Smith and Lanskey (clamp type) are excellent for small blades but don't work well with large knives and double edged blades.

The Spyderco sharpmaker works on anything but takes a bit of time, I use mine in front of the TV. If you
can count, this one is easy to use and works on pretty much anything. and is pretty flexible.

The Chefs choice is excellent for large kitchen knives and works well on thin blade knives,  I use a model 120 and I have to warn my wife when I sharpen her knives! Thick Bowie blades may not fit in the slots. This takes a little bit of skill to use properly.

The most flexible is still the bench stone, you can sharpen anything from a chisel to a lawn mower blade but this is also the most difficult to use properly. I prefer the Diamond whetstones, pricy though.

Whatever system you use, PRACTICE!, try a knife you are not too attached to first and figure out the best way to use the sharpner before you go to town on that $300 custom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top