Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 2:51:46 PM EDT
I wanna get my bottled beer cold, very cold.  

Any suggestions?

What is better than the trusty refrigerator?

What do you do to get them frosty cold?

All suggestions appreciated!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
CO2 extinguisher...If you don't have liquid nitrogen available.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Freezer...don't let 'em freeze though....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I just put them outside for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
cooler with ice

+1...beer is never any better than coming out of the cooler with lots of ice.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
put beer in plastic container, bucket, whatever.  Fill with ice.  Fill remaining volume with water.

Chilly Beer in no time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
cooler with ice

+1, if you want a cold beer quickly, spin the bottle horizontally in ice for a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ice with salt on it will freeze ice cream.

Icewater will work faster than ice alone unless you have some supercooled ice.  Water in liquid form transfers heat faster than ice at approximately the same temp (like the ice in a freezer).

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not today, not in Georgia!!   65 degrees today!!

I have good luck with the cooler/ice thing, but it seems like it takes a long time to get really cold.

I have no patience!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait a just a minute here...you need help with this?

Is this your first six pack or something?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not today, not in Georgia!!   65 degrees today!!

I have good luck with the cooler/ice thing, but it seems like it takes a long time to get really cold.

I have no patience!!

The beer will get cold in a big hurry if you have icewater and can add some motion to the water - swirl it.  In PA, the state stores (where you have to go to buy wine/liquor) have "wine chillers" which is a drum filled with cold water.  You can stick in your (white) wine and have it chilled to 40 degrees or so in about a minute.

Maybe you need a big cooler and a small outboard motor - should cool the beers quickly.

In an emergency it is tough to beat the CO2 extinquisher though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Baby steps.......baby steps.......one must learn to chug beer before they progress to Keg Stands.......
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Nope, just wondering if someone had a method that I have not heard of or tried.

I was in a fraternity and old habits die hard!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Beer isn't meant to be served ice cold, you savages.

Cold numbs the taste buds, might as well drink water.

Beer should be cool, not ice cold, in the 40-50 degree F range.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

For some reason my Olde English tastes better when it is ice cold.  

Just kidding, I drink Shiner Bock, Guinness, and the like.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's some cheap mass produced swill like Miller Lite you pretty much have to chill it way down.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#19]
A decrease in pressure results in lower temperature.

The only way to decrease the pressure is to open them.

If they're opened up anyway......  might as well drink them so they don't go to waste.

Beer sciences.  I should teach a class.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
For some reason my Olde English tastes better when it is ice cold.  

Olde English 800.  The official beverage of my (late 70s) high school class.

What a buzz.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
put beer in plastic container, bucket, whatever.  Fill with ice.  Fill remaining volume with water.

Chilly Beer in no time.

I do the same thing but put the container in the freezer.  Amazingly fast, COLD beer.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Let my Ex hold it for 2 mins.

Coldest bitch out there!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That's just because the Brit's have Lucas refrigerators...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#24]
+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chilly Beer in no time.

I do the same thing but put the container in the freezer.  Amazingly fast, COLD beer.  

Interesting.  Honestly never thought about putting the ice bucket with the beer in the freezer.

See, that's why I came here to "axe" the question.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Chilly Beer in no time.

We used this, and would stand them up (longnecks) and twirl them back and forth (clockwise/countercw). It seemed to speed things up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Icewater will work faster than ice alone unless you have some supercooled ice.  Water in liquid form transfers heat faster than ice at approximately the same temp (like the ice in a freezer).

You are incorrect. Ice w/ salt is much much colder than ice water, which is at exactly 32 degrees. Try sticking your hand in water that has formed with ice covered in salt and then just plain ice water. I will spare you the fine detail but the ions that come from salt inhibit the water from freezing so the water is able to become the temp of raw solid ice.....which is much colder than 32 degrees.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Nothing like a Perlic in the garage to make your friends jealous!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 on spinning.

Get a tub of ice with water added and hold the bottle by the top of the neck vertically.  Now spin the bottle as fast as you can in the ice water mixture.  Use your other hand to help keep the bottle vertical.  I use this method as a last resort.  It is actually possible to get the beer to freeze to a degree if done fast enough for a long enough time (a couple minutes) in cold ice water.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are incorrect. Ice w/ salt is much much colder than ice water, which is at exactly 32 degrees. Try sticking your hand in water that has formed with ice covered in salt and then just plain ice water. I will spare you the fine detail but the ions that come from salt inhibit the water from freezing so the water is able to become the temp of raw solid ice.....which is much colder than 32 degrees.

Actually I am still correct.  The salt just allows the water to be cooler before becoming a solid.  At a given temperature liquid H2O is a better conductor of heat than solid H20.  But thanks for sparing me the details professor.  I grew up in a state where they salt the roads in winter.  I know what salt does to H2O.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#31]
You keep your kegerator in the garage????????

Mine sits in the corner of my kitchen.  By far my favorite "appliance"

I built it myself I might add.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I am still correct.  The salt just allows the water to be cooler before becoming a solid.  At a given temperature liquid water is a better conductor of heat than solid water.  But thanks for sparing me the details professor.  I grew up in a state where they salt the roads in winter.  I know what salt does to H2O.

NO, you are still wrong. Fill a glass of water w/ ice. add a good amount of salt and put some water under the glass. The glass w/ ice and salt water will get so cold as to freeze the glass to the table. Growing up in a state where they salt the roads in winter doesnt give you a chem degree. Oh wait....I have one of those. Do the experiment and see which gets cold faster if you doubt me. Putting salt on the ice melts the ice and turns it into water that is VERY cold. Much COLDER than ice water. As for becoming a better conductor, this is at a temp way below what we are talking about to make a diffrence in this type of experiment.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

NO, you are still wrong. Fill a glass of water w/ ice. add a good amount of salt and put some water under the glass. The glass w/ ice and salt water will get so cold as to freeze the glass to the table. Growing up in a state where they salt the roads in winter doesnt give you a chem degree. Oh wait....I have one of those. Do the experiment and see which gets cold faster if you doubt me. Putting salt on the ice melts the ice and turns it into water that is VERY cold. Much COLDER than ice water. As for becoming a better conductor, this is at a temp way below what we are talking about to make a diffrence in this type of experiment.

No I am not wrong.  Ice water - no salt is at 32 degrees.  Ice water with salt - colder than 32 degrees depending on the concentration of salt.  Either way it is still icewater, just that the ice water with salt is colder than the ice water without.

I don't have a chemistry book handy, but which has a higher coefficient of heat transfer (not sure how I remembered that term) water or ice?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Another poster mentioned earlier that when making ice cream (in a hand-turned machine I assume) that you salt the ice.  Isn't the reason to do this so that the ice will melt (turn into water) at a lower temperature and that colder water will absord the heat in the milk/sugar mix faster than ice alone will absorb it.

Otherwise why salt the ice at all since the unsalted ice and the salted ice/water mix are at the same temperature?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mythbusters recently did a segment on the best way to cool a six pack. This is the way they found that worked the best.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Peltier personal beer cooler, for those of us who take a little longer to finish their beer.

Do-it-yourself beer cooler
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Ship all your beers to me and I'll be glad to chill them for you...

I'll even run some tests to ascertain the true temp and sample the product for you!  

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mythbusters recently did a segment on the best way to cool a six pack. This is the way they found that worked the best.

Actually the absolute best way to chill beer is in a mountain stream running high with snow/ice melt.  5 minutes in a fast-moving stream on the PCT near Mt. Whitney gave me some toasty cold adult beverages on a warm June day a few years back.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep, bucket / cooler full of ice, gets 'em as cold as you can w/o freezing them.. Nothing like pulling a nice frosty out of the ice...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another poster mentioned earlier that when making ice cream (in a hand-turned machine I assume) that you salt the ice.  Isn't the reason to do this so that the ice will melt (turn into water) at a lower temperature and that colder water will absord the heat in the milk/sugar mix faster than ice alone will absorb it.

Otherwise why salt the ice at all since the unsalted ice and the salted ice/water mix are at the same temperature?

The reason you use salt is to allow the ice to melt into water and have that water be as cold as the ice. You guys are right in that water is better but ONLY because of the salt. If you are not using salt in the water then plain ice is better because it is colder than ice water. Water has more surface area so the colder you can get the water the better. Salt water can go below the freezing point of water. All anti-freeze is made of is organic salts.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
CO2 extinguisher
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#42]
also, if you have a bucket of ice water and add ROCK SALT to the icewater you can get the temperature below freezing...15deg F ....IRRC
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#43]
showed on mythbusters that fastest is a CO2 fire extinguisher... next is ice w/ water and salt.. at like 5 minutes or sumthin
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just because the Brit's have Lucas refrigerators...

Have the figured out how to make them leak oil yet?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#45]
also, if you have a bucket of ice water and add ROCK SALT to the ice water you can get the temperature below freezing...15deg F ....IRRC

+1

I made the mistake of putting a case of beer in a cooler filled with ice and water and coating the top of it with rock salt. When I got off work that day the cans of beer were frozen. Pop the top, take a sip, and the rest of it froze solid. Not what I wanted on a 104 degree Friday in Texas.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Exactly! Buy good beer and you won't have to chill it to the point of killing the taste.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#47]
use salty icewater, but use ROCKSALT.  table salt will work, but not as well
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#48]
A liquid nitrogen dip?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Cold numbs the taste buds

...which is exactly why ice cream has absolutely no taste whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's my party recipe...Uh Hum

1. 50 gal trash can
2. Between 50 and 75 lbs. ice
3. Add a few gallons COLD water
4. Throw in your favorite brews!

Divide the recipe to personal use. Works great. One time we used 25 lbs of ice and a washing machine that didn't work. It had no lid so we put a pizza box on top to hold in the cold air, and held it down with a porcelain duck statue. Haha.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top