Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 3:51:45 AM EDT
[size=4]How the British fought terror in Jenin[/size=4]
By Rafael Medoff

(April 18) 'Demolishing the homes of Arab civilians... Shooting handcuffed prisoners... Forcing local Arabs to test areas where mines may have been planted..."

These sound like the sort of accusations made by British and other European officials concerning Israel's recent actions in Jenin. [b]In fact, they are descriptions from official British documents concerning the methods used by the British authorities to combat Palestinian Arab terrorism in Jenin and elsewhere in 1938[/b].

The documents were declassified by London in 1989. They provide details of the British Mandatory government's response to the assassination of a British district commissioner by a Palestinian Arab terrorist in Jenin in the summer of 1938.

Even after the suspected assassin was captured (and then shot dead while allegedly trying to escape), the British authorities decided that "a large portion of the town should be blown up" as punishment. On August 25 of that year, a British convoy brought 4,200 kilos of explosives to Jenin for that purpose.

In the Jenin operation and on other occasions, local Arabs were forced to drive "mine-sweeping taxis" ahead of British vehicles in areas where Palestinian Arab terrorists were believed to have planted mines, in order "to reduce [British] landmine casualties."

See remainder of article at:[url]http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2002/04/18/Columns/Columns.47190.html[/url]

Eric The(Historical)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
So justification of the current Israeli anti-terroist/ pacification methods resides in [b]64 year old[/b] British policies. Yea, sure that's the ticket for absolving Israel from responsibility of their actions.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
How is this germane to the present situation?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It's HISTORY, Baby!

You know, [u]history[/u].

I thought you [u]might[/u] be interested in history.

Thought it might give [u]you[/u] a greater depth of knowledge in this region.

You know, [u]increase[/u] your knowledge base.

[b]I guess I was wrong[/b].[:D]

Eric The(Idiots!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Really?  It seemed more like just another in your endless string of Israel-is-right, the-Arabs-are-wrong posts. Even if you did post it as a history lesson, your record on this particular topic mitigates against it being for any other purpose than cultivating pro-Israeli sentiment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's some more history for you gentlemen:

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020421/lthumb.1019415153.mideast_israel_palestinians_jrl110.jpg[/img]

Caption: A Palestinian police officer paints over Hebrew graffiti reading [b]"Mother, mother run away, the front platoon arrived,"[/b] originally painted by Israeli forces, on a poster of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, at the center of the West Bank town of Ramallah, Sunday, April 21, 2002. Israeli troops pulled out from most of Ramallah overnight, but continue to surround Arafat in his compound in the city. (AP Photo/Mohammad Mohesen)

I like that 'Mother, mother run away, the front platoon arrived.'

Sounds just like Arafat doesn't it?

And so historical, too!

Arafat said it in Sept. 1970, in Jordan.

Arafat said it again in June, 1982, in Beirut!

And yet again, in 2002, in Ramallah!

You see, that's what I'm here for: [b]to teach you a little bit of history![/b]

Eric The(You'reWelcome)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Post from Golgo-13 -
Really? It seemed more like just another in your endless string of Israel-is-right, the-Arabs-are-wrong posts. Even if you did post it as a history lesson, your record on this particular topic [u]mitigates[/u] against it being for any other purpose than cultivating pro-Israeli sentiment.
View Quote

How about '...[u]militates[/u] against it being for any other purpose...'?

See, teaching as I go.

Eric The(Classy)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#7]
How about a history lesson on Menachem Begin , the Irgun terrorist group he was head of before he was Prime minister. the King David hotel and the british soldiers he killed there, the massacre of Deir Yassin. why was it alright for Isreal to use bombings and terrorism in the past ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:40:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Post from rogerb -
why was it alright for Isreal to use bombings and terrorism in the past ?
View Quote

No, but then they were responding to the same sorts of bombings and terrorism inflicted against them.

Let's make a deal. I'll be the shill for Israel. You can be the shill for the terrorists.[:D]

Eric The(MmmKay?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:44:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I've tried several times to resond to this thread, but everything comes out a little too harsh, so I'll just let it go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no desire to be the shill for the terrorists, the readers should know both sides Eric, Isreal has used the same tactics that the PLO now uses, yet you never mention it in your posts. All one has to do is search on Irgun or Deir Yassin , and they should since you seem to have declined my offer for the history lesson, hmmm wonder why ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.wordsmyth.net/cgi-bin/search.cgi?matchent=mitigate&matchtype=exact[/url]

A quick visit to the above site will show you that my use of the word "mitigate" was correct.  In the context I used it, it would be restated as: "...your record on this particular topic lessens the force or impact of it being for any other purpose than cultivating pro-Israeli sentiment."  Now that we have cleared that up, [b]was[/b] it for any other reason that your usual beating the drums for Israel?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Post from Golgo-13 -
Even if you did post it as a history lesson, your record on this particular topic mitigates against it being for any other purpose than cultivating pro-Israeli sentiment.
View Quote

You could still use the word 'mitigates' in your sentence, if used in this manner:

"Even if you did post it as a history lesson, your record on this particular topic mitigates its use for any purpose other than cultivating pro-Israeli sentiment."

That's more like it.

BTW, I disagree totally with your comment.

Eric The(IfIt'sHistory,It'sHistory,NoMatterWhoBroughtItToYourAttention!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I have seen enough to conclude that your sudden fascination with my grammar and vocabulary, a totally new enthusiasm on your part, indicates that this whole thread  really was just your usual cheerleading for the Israelis.  You are a moderator, why don't you ask Goatboy to give you your own "Israel and Grammar" forum?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Post from Golgo-13 -
You are a moderator, why don't you ask Goatboy to give you your own "Israel and Grammar" forum?
View Quote

And leave you [b]'goys'[/b] all alone on the GD Forum?

No way![:D]

BTW, I wouldn't have mentioned anything concerning your grammar, if you had not launched into a diatribe against my 'Israel is right, Arabs are wrong' posts.

My original post didn't even mention Israel.

Eric The(YouSee?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#15]
[1931] Irgun Zvai Leumi (National Military Organization) was founded in Jerusalem; led by Avraham Tehomi, it advocated armed Jewish insurrection against British rule and war against Palestinian Arabs. (kind of like the Intifada, huh)

[1943] Menachem Begin became leader of the Israeli terrorist Irgun Zvai Leumi (National Military Organization), which was engaged in a campaign against the British in Palestine. (he is later to become Prime Minister)

[1946] King David Hotel bombing (July 22): Irgun Zvai Leumi terrorists, commanded by Menachem Begin, bombed the British office wing of Jerusalem's King David Hotel, killing 91 people, 17 of them Jews. Among other Irgun terrorist actions was the bombing of the British Embassy in Rome.

[1948] Early in the morning of April 9, 1948, commandos of the Irgun (headed by Menachem Begin) and the Stern Gang attacked Deir Yassin, a village with about 750 Palestinian residents. The village lay outside of the area to be assigned by the United Nations to the Jewish State; it had a peaceful reputation. But it was located on high ground in the corridor between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Deir Yassin was slated for occupation under Plan Dalet and the mainstream Jewish defense force, the Haganah, authorized the irregular terrorist forces of the Irgun and the Stern Gang to perform the takeover.

In all over 100 men, women, and children were systematically murdered. Fifty-three orphaned children were literally dumped along the wall of the Old City, where they were found by Miss Hind Husseini and brought behind the American Colony Hotel to her home, which was to become the Dar El-Tifl El-Arabi orphanage.

"so endth the history lesson"
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Post from rogerb -
I have no desire to be the shill for the terrorists, the readers should know both sides Eric, Isreal has used the same tactics that the PLO now uses, yet you never mention it in your posts.
View Quote

I assume that the readers of these threads can easily acquaint themselves with all aspects of the history of the region.

If they can't, and simply ask that I provide them with history, then they should be forewarned that I view the history of this region from a decidely pro-Israeli standpoint!

And that 'Israel used the same tactics that the PLO now uses' is pure hogwash!

Let's see a listing of Israeli/Jewish 'suicide bombers'!
All one has to do is search on Irgun or Deir Yassin , and they should since you seem to have declined my offer for the history lesson, hmmm wonder why ?
View Quote

What I learn from these lessons is quite a bit different from what you learn from the same lessons.

So, post your own views of this history, and let the readers make their own informed judgments!

Eric The(Fair)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Hun, you know I love you, Bubi, but when you beat the same drum so hard for so long to the exclusion of just about anything else, it starts to smell like fanaticism. Isn't there anything happening in America, or at least involving Americans that interests you enough to start a thread on?

We all know the Israelis are serious about surviving as a nation and as a people. We'll stipulate that, counselor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Me? Fanatical about Israel? Of course, I am.

But let me do a quick search of topics from my threads:

364 'non-Israeli' topics out of 422 threads that I've authored over the past nine months.

That's 86.25% non-Israeli vs. 13.75% Israeli.

Not exactly what you may have thought, and, quite frankly, I would have guessed that the figure would have been more than 25% at the very least.

And when I say 'non-Israeli' I don't mean simply that the term 'Israel' or 'Israeli' does not appear in the subject line, but that the post did not directly concern Israel.

The number of my threads on Israel did increase after the beginning of the 'suicide
bombing' incidents.

If you look at my threads since the beginning of Israel's incursion into the West Bank, it would not surprise me if the figure was 50%!

But I would think that holds true for just about everyone who posts on this subject!

I didn't bother to count the total number of posts I've made on Israel and Israeli threads though, it would be astronomical!

Hey, I support my friends, who doesn't?

Eric The(Friend,Indeed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Bah, the British were pansies.

Look back to what how the Romans handled terror campaigns.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#20]

rogerb 1 : Eric The ( the maybe I should't have posted this one ) Hun 0.
LOL...

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's HISTORY, Baby!

You know, [u]history[/u].

I thought you [u]might[/u] be interested in history.

Thought it might give [u]you[/u] a greater depth of knowledge in this region.

You know, [u]increase[/u] your knowledge base.

[b]I guess I was wrong[/b].[:D]

Eric The(Idiots!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
History also includes fanatics like you gettin it[smash]. (I thought you might be interested in history.)
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[size=4]How the British fought terror in Jenin[/size=4]
By Rafael Medoff

(April 18) 'Demolishing the homes of Arab civilians... Shooting handcuffed prisoners... Forcing local Arabs to test areas where mines may have been planted..."

These sound like the sort of accusations made by British and other European officials concerning Israel's recent actions in Jenin. [b]In fact, they are descriptions from official British documents concerning the methods used by the British authorities to combat Palestinian Arab terrorism in Jenin and elsewhere in 1938[/b].

View Quote

Eric I have a very good friend of mine who is a former SAS counter-terrorism commando. He is now a professor at a prestigious liberal arts school here in Ohio (one whose politics I am not fond of but that's another topic). He and I have conversed for years about the issues and how it stems all the way back to the British empire. You are dead on the money.

By the way, that goy comment was uncalled for. That wouldn't be a Yiddish racist streak coming out of you would it?

I might be a goy but I am a mensch.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Post from BenDover -
By the way, that goy comment was uncalled for. That wouldn't be a Yiddish racist streak coming out of you would it?
View Quote

'Goy' is a word used by Yiddish [u]racists[/u]?

I can't believe I just repeated that![:D]

I am a goy, from the [i][b]goyim[/b][/i]!

Eric The(JustThinkOfItAsThe'G-word')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Post from BenDover -
View Quote

'Goy' is a word used by Yiddish [u]racists[/u]?

I can't believe I just repeated that![:D]

I am a goy, from the [i][b]goyim[/b][/i]!

Eric The(JustThinkOfItAsThe'G-word')Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

You and I both know that 'goy' is 'goyim' as in a derogatory yiddish term used to describe gentiles much like the word 'schvartz' is equivilent to 'nigger' to describe blacks. Literally 'goyim' is Hebrew for 'nation' but it can also mean 'cattle' or 'beast'. Spoken aloud with a disgusted inflection, it's pejorative. So is the word 'Jew' in similar circumstances. Better to say "gentile" or "non-Jew" when writing in English for a multireligious audience. In general, the use of judgemental or pejorative terms, even if no offense is intended, should be avoided. They only serve to incite anger and side-track the conversation. True conversation comes from being factual and appropriately neutral.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Post from BLAZE-OF-GLORY -
History also includes fanatics like you gettin it.
View Quote

When?[:D]

Eric The(Well?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Post from rogerb -
[1931] Irgun Zvai Leumi (National Military Organization) was founded in Jerusalem; led by Avraham Tehomi, it advocated armed Jewish insurrection against British rule and war against Palestinian Arabs. (kind of like the Intifada, huh)

[1943] Menachem Begin became leader of the Israeli terrorist Irgun Zvai Leumi (National Military Organization), which was engaged in a campaign against the British in Palestine. (he is later to become Prime Minister)

[1946] King David Hotel bombing (July 22): Irgun Zvai Leumi terrorists, commanded by Menachem Begin, bombed the British office wing of Jerusalem's King David Hotel, killing 91 people, 17 of them Jews. Among other Irgun terrorist actions was the bombing of the British Embassy in Rome.

[1948] Early in the morning of April 9, 1948, commandos of the Irgun (headed by Menachem Begin) and the Stern Gang attacked Deir Yassin, a village with about 750 Palestinian residents. The village lay outside of the area to be assigned by the United Nations to the Jewish State; it had a peaceful reputation. But it was located on high ground in the corridor between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Deir Yassin was slated for occupation under Plan Dalet and the mainstream Jewish defense force, the Haganah, authorized the irregular terrorist forces of the Irgun and the Stern Gang to perform the takeover.

In all over 100 men, women, and children were systematically murdered. Fifty-three orphaned children were literally dumped along the wall of the Old City, where they were found by Miss Hind Husseini and brought behind the American Colony Hotel to her home, which was to become the Dar El-Tifl El-Arabi orphanage.

"so endth the history lesson"
View Quote

Some history lesson!

[b]191 folks dead over a 17 year period![/b]

Israel has lost more than twice that many in less than 2 years.

You need to get a better lesson planner.

Eric The(YeahThatIrgunWasARealMonsterAllRight!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Post from BenDover -
You and I both know that 'goy' is 'goyim' as in a derogatory yiddish term used much like the word 'nigger' to describe gentiles. Literally it is the Hebrew for "nation." Spoken aloud with a disgusted inflection, it's pejorative.
View Quote

[b]Sorry, but I 'know' no such thing.[/b]

[b]Any word[/b] 'spoken aloud with a disgusted inflection' could be a perjorative word, and that would certainly include 'Jew' wouldn't it?

But if someone uses the word 'Jew' on this Board, I don't immediately come to the conclusion that it is being used in any perjorative sense, do you?

I mean it's not like it's some goose-stepping Nazi-only word, right?

So don't presume my light-hearted jest which included the word 'goy' was uttered with a disgusted inflection.

Fair enough?

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[b]Sorry, but I 'know' no such thing.[/b]

[b]Any word[/b] 'spoken aloud with a disgusted inflection' could be a perjorative word, and that would certainly include 'Jew' wouldn't it?

But if someone uses the word 'Jew' on this Board, I don't immediately come to the conclusion that it is being used in any perjorative sense, do you?

I mean it's not like it's some goose-stepping Nazi-only word, right?

So don't presume my light-hearted jest which included the word 'goy' was uttered with a disgusted inflection.

Fair enough?

View Quote

Sure thing... it's not like you called us shkutzim.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey, I know how to check my baser instincts!

Eric The(VeryCivilized)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Post from BLAZE-OF-GLORY -
History also includes fanatics like you gettin it.
View Quote

When?[:D]

Eric The(Well?)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
I'm having trouble coming up with historical instances of other people serially posting photos of their political adversaries and beating to death the point that these adveraries are ugly and have funny beards. I'll keep working on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top