Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2001 8:02:24 PM EDT
OK, here's one for CCW:

In Oregon I can carry "open on a belt holster" or I can carry concealed. If I carry IWB/SOB and the top of the gun is showing above the belt, technically it's "open carry." If I pull a shirt or jacket over it, it's "concealed." We don't worry about "printing" in Oregon.

Given these rules, I carry always when I'm "out in the woods" shooting or recreating. In rural areas no one gets too upset (they don't care) if I pack a gun into the local Safeway. They figure I'm a hunter. They see hunters every day.

Not living in a high crime area, I don't carry most of the time. Just not that much need for it, and lots of restrictions about where it's legal.

So when do you carry?

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I jumped through the appropriate hoops here in Utah and got my CCW about 2 years ago.  I feel pretty safe here, low crime, etc. so I only carry 2-3 times a year, usually only when I decide to venture into Ogden.

[img]http://www.trw.com/images/logo.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Glocked and locked all the time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya can't "lock" a Glock.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
[size=5]Guess![/size=5]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a fellow Oregonian, PowderBurns, and I never "open carry".  However, I live near and travel in Portland and they are a little less accepting of firearms in the city.  That being said, I carry concealed just about all the time, sometimes around the house (you never know when you might have to leave on quick errand) and sometimes even to church, if my clothing permits it.  I've just gotten used to the feeling that I am prepared to defend myself whenever and wherever.  If something happens, it is usually when you don't expect it.  I feel naked when I'm out and about sans my Sig P220.  I just put it on like the rest of my clothing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I most allways carry even while in my own home.

Always have gun avail in vehicle, always some small gun in right front pocket.

Mouse gun, Mouse gun, better than I left my 45 in the house gun.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Almost all of the time when I go to town.
Can't when I go to school games though.
I hate to leave my CCW in the vehicle for some punk to steal.
I take it off when we go to California.
Stash it in the vehicle and put it back on when we hit the line.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have to get a CCW permit in Oregon to legally carry?

Also, where can I find the laws about this?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry every waking moment that I'm not at work.

With the right gun, holster, belt anything is possible.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you see me outside my house, you know there's a gun on my somewhere.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[B][BLUE]NRA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.nra.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]GOA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.gunowners.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAF Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.saf.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAS Supporter[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.sas-aim.org[/URL]

[IMG]monkeyboots.com/alabamaflag.gif[/IMG]
View Quote

What if you're on your porch?  If you just walked out the door to get the mail??? By a window???
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:

View Quote

Oregon has some good laws. Washington State is almost the same:

You can carry concealed WITHOUT a permit if you're a licensed hunter/angler and going to, coming from, or engaged in hunting/fishing. (Atty tells me if you have a gun and a license -- and you're not at a PTA meeting -- you're "hunting."

Holstered gun on a belt (no shoulder holsters or ankle rigs) is NOT considered concealed -- even if you have a shirt/coat over it. (The shirt/coat cover is a real grey area.)

For purposes of "concealed carry" a shirt or coat over the gun "conceals" it within the letter of the law. It's out of sight.

Portland, Oregon City and some other areas don't allow open carry. You need a CCW there.

CCW requires a 3 hr. course, photo, fingerprint, and background check. Course runs about $25 these days at gun shops and gun shows. Photo/prints and application is $65 for four years. Renewal is $50 for four years. No notice given when you need to renew.

[url]http://www.nraila.org/[/url] lists "Firearm Laws" listed by state. Third box from the bottom of the frame on left.

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
9 times out of 10 I have a pistol on me when I leave the front door. I always have my Spyderco on me. Even when I do laundry in the apartment complex or get the mail I carry my pistol on me.After carrying for a period of time I began to feel naked without a pistol on me. Kind of weird feeling, but thats the best I can explain it. Anyone else feel that way.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
1911, cocked and locked. Every day either in Wilson Tactical Assault or Summer Companion depending on how dressed. CCW issued by local Sheriffs in most counties except Denver and some other large boils on the butt of humanity in the plains.

Mountain Goat
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
In NYC, all the time, on and off duty...is there really such a thing as off-duty for LEO's when you're in your geographical area of employment?

Glock 26: 10+1 Speer +P GDHP and one extra magazine...concealed[pistol]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]Hell, I carry in my church![/b] It's been legal in Texas for a coupla' of years, and I wouldn't leave it in the car for anything.

Too bad someone wasn't carrying at Wedgewood Baptist Church in Ft. Worth when that schizo came in and killed seven churchgoers. He was reloading and all they could do was pray!

Pray he'd run out of ammo. Which he did, but he did do the taxpayers of Tarrant County a bit
of a favor by using the last round on himself.

God helps those who help themselves. 'Course
that saying ain't in the Bible, but it does have a certain verity about it.

Carry, carry, carry. [i]You'll never live to regret it.[/i]

EricThe(KeepFrosty)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#18]
CCW, don’t leave home without it.

I’m always armed; even at home.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If you see me and I am not in the sterile area of an airport or a government building with a metal detector, I most likely have one of two 1911s on me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#20]
How many seconds are in a day? Well I carry every damn one of 'em.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:

View Quote

This is a good summary:
[url]http://www.packing.org/state/oregon/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Easier to say when I DON'T carry. I don't pack heat in the shower nor in a gov't. operated building.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Getting a CCW here is harder than getting SuperBowl tickets.  I carry the only place I legally can - my own home.  

Does anybody know of a gun I can take into the shower with me?  That is about the only time I'm vulnerable in my home.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anybody know of a gun I can take into the shower with me?
View Quote

Sounds like you need a colon holster!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry, open carry is something that should not be praticed. It makes you a target.
If you decide to carry a gun, you should do it like you use a seatbelt. Just because I'm going 3 blocks away to the store, doesn't mean I don't put on a seat belt.
If that time comes up when you need a gun, your not going to be expecting it. It's insurance and you don't let your insurance lapse.
The only time I don't carry is in places where I am not allowed to and when I am drinking adult drinks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ya can't "lock" a Glock.
View Quote

Thumb snap on the holster?  I do care to disagree!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#27]
BTW:  EVERY DAY!  EVERYWHERE I GO.  Exception would be the airport, but I usually stay outside the detectors and pack.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Everyday.Everywhere except in the workplace.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Reading all the posts It would seem the majority of us carry often. I noticed a few people said there wasn't a lot of crime around and therefor it wasn't needed. I'm actually surprised to hear that. Especially from gun owners. In this day and age with all the fruitcakes running around killing people you would think that no one is outside the realm of possibility to become a victim.
That is why I carry as much as possible. The one time you think nothings going to happen will be or could be your last day on earth. The only time I don't carry or have a gun under my direct control is when I'm at work. I think it sucks that I can be a victim of a car jacking or what have you because I'm unarmed going to and from work. There are ways around this but not legally. I just except it and stay alert to my surroundings.
Another guy stated something about not carrying open. I agree I carried open for a year before getting my concealed weapons permit and it draws way to much attention to you and does indeed create you into a target. I almost had some idiot pull his gun on me once because he saw me walking up to him with it on! It's a long story but basically it was dark and I was walking to pick up a friend and this guy was waiting for his wife and saw me coming carrying down the front of my pants and started reaching for his the closer I got. I saw this going down badly so I said to the guy "Hey I'm just here to pick up so&so don't get nervous. He said,"ok, I was reaching for my gun dude I saw you coming towards me and thought you were going to rob me." After that I realized it wasn't such a great idea.

John
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I am packin or at arms reach 24 X 7.... BIG(.45) or small(.380) or inbetween (.40 or .357), casual or dressed up...ALWAYS....

Famous places all across America where nuts misuse firearms..I WILL NOT be caught unarmed....EVER...

I went to Kommiefornia for Memorial day weekend...I have NEVER felt SO naked in my ENTIRE life...Even my military entry 'grab your ankles' was not this bad....

And my family said I should consider moving.....I laughed my ass off!!!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 3:30:39 AM EDT
[#31]
don't leave home without my Kimber
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#32]
You have to guess if I'm carring when I'm not at work but carry visable at work. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#33]
All the time, every day, even when I am making dinner at home. The only exception is at my daughter's school and the Post Office. Then I'm carrying my cold steel voyager Tanto. During the election I had an AR15 on the bar with a Vote Bush sticker on the buttstock.(And a Glock30 on my hip under a shirt.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I always carry, except when I'm asleep, then it's beside the bed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I put on my Kimber Pro Carry in the Versa Max II as soon as I get home from work. I wear it until I go to bed, when the holster goes on the dresser and the pistol goes on the headboard. My company, which is headquartered in Canada, enforces the victim-disarmament policy by not allowing us to carry, and signs are posted at all entrances to the building to that effect.

By Texas law, the parking lot is not considered part of the "premises," so I could leave it in the car, but I don't intend to have it stolen. I leave it home, so I am unarmed from home to work, all day at work and from work to home. I am in the market for some kind of locking steel drawer that will fit under the passenger seat so I can secure it in the car.

While my Kimber is at home without me, I carry a Spyderco Jess Horn lightweight and the little white-hot kernel of caveman rage we all have inside.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

-----------------
"Today's liberals wish to disarm us so they can run their evil and oppressive agenda on us. The fight against crime is just a convenient excuse to further their agenda. I don't know about you, but if you hear that Williams' guns have been taken, you'll know Williams is dead."
--Walter Williams, Professor of Economics, George Mason University
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#38]
I live in SLC, UT and carry 24/7.  I work in a area that piss alot of people off.  Plus I just like to carry!  Sigg 229 .40 cal...got to love'm
Riz
[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#39]
S&W mod 66, 3 days a week. You guess which three!  [pistol]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ya can't "lock" a Glock.
View Quote

Thumb snap on the holster?  I do care to disagree!
View Quote

Then you're locking the holster, not the Glock.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#42]
 twenty four and seven with a glock 21 every time i leave the house for any real length of time. [):)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Never, when I'm off my property (at least not that I'll admit to...) - Illinois is one of the states that prohibits any kind of concealed carry. Damn the right to self-defense! Full speed to oppression!!!

You'd better guess well, tho', if you're trespassing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#44]
[b]SysProg[/b]:  Same up here as well.  [:(]

Mike [from WI]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Why exactly do you need to know?

Quoted:
So when do you carry?
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top