Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2003 5:46:58 PM EDT
...will get in a car after you've been drinking? Well f**king stop it NOW before anyone else I know dies. Saturday morning I'm rushing around getting ready for my kids (19, 17 and 15) to show up for our Fathers Day activities.  They are driving down from their moms and when I get the phone call I look at my watch knowing they should almost be at my house. I figure they are calling to say they got a late start or something.  It's my 19yr old college wrestling son Eric (truly the toughest kid I know) and he is so grief stricken I can barely understand him. He had just found out that his best friend and college roommate was killed 3:30 am that morning in a terrible car crash. Of course high speed estimated at over 100 mph, and drinking was involved. This is a kid that was like a brother to my son. I've known him since he was two. Those two went EVERYWHERE together. In fact Eric was the last person to see him alive.  They drove out to a party together and came back relatively early cause Eric had to get up the next morning to come see me.  Because Matt had been drinking he agreed to spend the nite with my son so they both hit the rack.  Turns out Matt got up sometime after 3am and without waking anyone up, left. 8 miles down the road he hit a telephone pole broadside at over 100 mph. It cut the Honda in half thru the driver’s side door. The paper said it took the HP over an hour to get to the car because of all of the power lines, fire etc. Almost 2,000 people were out of power until lunch Saturday. Matt never felt a thing unless you consider the terror he must have felt as he saw himself sliding toward the power pole. By the skid marks and tracks thru the grass you can tell for sure that he saw it coming. A good kid is dead and lives have been changed forever over a little testosterone and beer. It's got to stop but it won't will it? Do you still drink and drive?

Well do you??
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Condolences and prayers rocketman....

drinking and driving is stupid and criminal, thousands of needless deaths each year.

so sad
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Deepest sympathy to you and your son. I have learned HARD lessons watching loved ones die as a result of drinking and drugging.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes and I won't stop.

I will go out to dinner, drink 2 beers, and drive home.  Nothing unsafe about that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My limit is ONE (1) drink when we have dinner out.  One.  PERIOD.  Any more than that and I'm NOT going to be the one behind the wheel.

I have driven drunk before (ONCE), in my long-ago days of youth.  Dad gave me the evil eye when I got home and had one of those "quiet, deadly serious" 30 second talks.

I realized what a dumbshit I had been and that was the first and last time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes and I won't stop.

I will go out to dinner, drink 2 beers, and drive home.  Nothing unsafe about that.
View Quote

Congratulations,
you're an UNCOUTHFUL PRICK!

Now, back on topic...

Sorry to hear about that Rocketman. A very sad, sad story that didn't have to be. Prayers outbound.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It is sad.  I know it won't change cause when I was 19 I did it too. A lot. Now I will drive after dinner and a drink or maybe two at the most. Jeez I'm still shook up bad.  My son was always with this kid. If Matt woke up my son and asked him to go he would have, and I'd be burying my first-born son Tuesday instead of a family friend. They both had friends that saw combat in Afghanistan and Iraq.  It would be a little different if one of those kids had been KIA because at least you could say their death was about something bigger but this is such a waste.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Abuse of booze is one of the biggest problems in America today.
Condolences.
I have my wife as a designated driver.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
BTT for the day crowd because I think it matters.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:10:19 AM EDT
[#10]
My condolences.

It's sad when people refuse to accept their limitations.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My condolences.

It's sad when people refuse to accept their limitations.
View Quote

Even worse when they die young because they don't know them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top