Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 12:58:31 PM EDT
I use a Surefire x300 mounted on an m&p and was thinking of getting some input on how you guys tend to activate your pistol mounted lights.

I use a thumbs forward grip:

1) Typically I just drop my thumb down and push forward for momentary on when using the light:

2) Or this is an option of maybe curling the thumb down and pushing forward on the switch with your thumbnail, but the nail could slide around on the switch when firing:

3) Another option I found is dropping the thumb down and applying enough pressure downward on the switch where it momentarily activates, but it does not fully activate the constant on function:

4) The last option is having a DG switch, which I have never used.

What do you guys use? Or suggest something different.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My light I activate with my left hand finger. Too far forward on on my HK tactical.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
DG Switch on X300s, top of the switch on a Insight APL. Using thumbs on the Surefire sucks.

Edit: Apparently I can't remember what my lights are called.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is girl activated only, not guy activated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
G22 w/ surefire light, middle finger pressure on a DevGru style tape switch.  The only way to fly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine uses a Clapper (TM).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot a Glock 17 with a Surefire x300 ultra and I have always done #1. Dropping my thumb down and pushing forward for momentary-on.

The problem that I always have is that when I'm firing while pushing forward for momentary-on, the upward recoil of the pistol ends up pushing the switch into constant-on.
Then when I take my thumb off the switch and move or reload I expect the light to turn off when I let go, but of course it doesn't, and I end up lighting up my location.
Clearly, not good.

Has anyone else figured out a solution to this problem?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

DG Switch on X300s, top of the switch on a Insight MPL. Using thumbs on the Surefire sucks.
View Quote
Yeah I feel like it compromises your grip.

With the DG switch does the light go every time you grip the gun?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
With a TLR-1 on a Glock 19, it's an easy reach with the left thumb to press down on the momentary rocker.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mine is girl activated only, not guy activated.
View Quote
LOL. My bad I changed it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
What you're calling the "drop thumb."

I use the Streamlight TLRs, and I believe the switch configuration is the same.

For one-handed use, I turn the light to constant on by pushing my right index finger down.  I feel it works exactly as I'd like it to with either one or two hands.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Surefire TRL-1s on my M&P, using thumb but always looking for better options.  So tag.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I toss chemlights,
I crack a whole bunch of em when i'm ready to fo, then toss as needed
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for taking the time to post pics of your examples.

All OP's, when necessary, should be like that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a DG switch.  I do not regret it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]

TLR1 with momentary and click switch with weak thumb.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
What do you mean you people?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

SF's TG-11 switch
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That's pretty cool. Can you efficiently control when you want to have it on or off and not have a negligent light discharge?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/thesolanum/other%20misc/you_people.jpg

TLR1 with momentary and click switch with weak thumb.

Hahahaha. I knew AFRCOM would deliver

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Laser sights used to have on/off switches or funny cords running to the trigger area, until Crimson Trace entered the field and got us all to love their integrated, passive activation switches. They've now done the same for white lights and I can't see using anything else.

ETA: I just realized the above pic from Natchez is completely screwed up. This is where the actual light beam is placed.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Laser sights used to have on/off switches or funny cords running to the trigger area, until Crimson Trace entered the field and got us all to love their integrated, passive activation switches. They've now done the same for white lights and I can't see using anything else.

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/EJLTG746.jpg

View Quote

For $160 I feel that I should get something that has more than 100 lumens, and doesn't make my gun look like a hi-point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Support (left) Thumb with a Glock 19 with TLR1. I started out using my trigger finger before realizing that finger had a more important job.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Left thumb on the momentary switch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
For one-handed use, I turn the light to constant on by pushing my right index finger down.  I feel it works exactly as I'd like it to with either one or two hands.
View Quote

I currently do this with 2 and 1 handed shooting. I use the same motion as with a BAD lever; a vertical sweeping motion with a stiff, straightened right finger. I just never could properly use the thumb method, I have to reach so far forward my grip is all fucked up and awkward.  

I'll probably go to a DG switch here soon, I've heard good stuff about them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]
"you people"?

What do you mean... "YOU people"?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For $160 I feel that I should get something that has more than 100 lumens, and doesn't make my gun look like a hi-point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see the OP's M&P above. Here's mine. Now tell me which one looks slick and which one looks like it has a strapped on dildo..

Btw, I don't think $130 is high for a 100% reliable light.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
What do you mean "YOU People ?"
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What do you mean "YOU People ?"
View Quote
People that use a pistol mounted light

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's pretty cool. Can you efficiently control when you want to have it on or off and not have a negligent light discharge?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can (, at least so far )... This tape switch can't be activated by your strong-side hand.

The index finger's 2nd knuckle is where that switch is resting, on my weak-side hand. The weight of the pistol is almost enough to trigger the light, so it comes on with a very slight lift. As a safety, I straighten and align my LH index finger along the pistol from, without letting the pistol and my RH to sink.

And of course, if I need to use my left hand elsewhere, I can still manually turn on the switch.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I can (, at least so far )... This tape switch can't be activated by your strong-side hand.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc68/gunnyg_photos/Private/AR15/photo.jpg

The index finger's 2nd knuckle is where that switch is resting, on my weak-side hand. The weight of the pistol is almost enough to trigger the light, so it comes on with a very slight lift. As a safety, I straighten and align my LH index finger along the pistol from, without letting the pistol and my RH to sink.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc68/gunnyg_photos/Private/AR15/2.jpg

And of course, if I need to use my left hand elsewhere, I can still manually turn on the switch.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

What watch is that btw?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool. Thanks for the info.    

What watch is that btw?

Just my old Seiko automatic (an SKX173 from 2004 or so, IIRC)

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You see the OP's M&P above. Here's mine. Now tell me which one looks slick and which one looks like it has a strapped on dildo..

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/Halberdier/Firearms/M&P/DSC_0637b.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to admit, that M&P does look pretty slick with that light on there. It just seems to fit.
It would add almost no bulk to an IWB holster.

What's the beam like with such a small bezel? Decent throw and spill?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have to admit, that M&P does look pretty slick with that light on there. It just seems to fit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a soft, bright spotlight surrounded by a weaker wide flood. From 20' away you get a 4' hot center with a 12-14' flooded area overall. It's perfect for home defense because it lights up the entire room while focusing a bright spot on the threat. But outdoors the range is pretty limited, around 50-60' of useful light.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Matches, I don't have a pistol light...

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Matches, I don't have a pistol light...

View Quote

Save some money for lanterns.

edit: I use #1 with SF X300U, but I will be getting DG switch since it sucks to push it every time the way SF is set up. With Streamlight I just use my support hand thumb.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
With a TLR-1 on a Glock 19, it's an easy reach with the left thumb to press down on the momentary rocker.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#37]
M203 with flares
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top