Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/20/2013 2:25:26 PM EDT
What lies, rationalizations or mental masturbation had to be performed to allow people to tolerate enslaving other human beings?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
didn't feel like working
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What lies, rationalizations or mental masturbation had to be performed to allow people to tolerate enslaving other human beings?

They didn't believe black people were really humans or as fully evolved as white men.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask the Muslims, they still do it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It's in the Bible?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Why don't you research it yourself. You might learn something in the process. If it were a gun question, lots of folks would step forward to help so you didn't injure yourself or tear up your gun. This?  Well, from your tone you seem to have a predetermined outlook not likely to be swayed by anything posted here. Call the ACLU or the SPLC and they can probably give you lots of info.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ask the Muslims, they still do it.

That's why I said Christian

Abrahamic (?) religions allow it for sure.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
You think too much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
It got shit built!!!
[#9]
What a stupid question.
[#10]
Quoted:
didn't feel like working

That makes sense to me.

Happiness and consideration of others are relatively new concepts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]
They are still doing it now. Everything is a sin. If you get out of line, you will go to hell. You are told to give up your wealth and freedom for your own good. Sounds like a dictatorial religion to me. Instead of being forced, you force it on yourself.

I am a Christian. But after doing my research, I trust Jesus's teaching but I have no trust or loyalty in its church, the Vatican, or anything on Earth in relation to "Christianity". They are absolutely corrupt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why don't you research it yourself. You might learn something in the process. If it were a gun question, lots of folks would step forward to help so you didn't injure yourself or tear up your gun. This?  Well, from your tone you seem to have a predetermined outlook not likely to be swayed by anything posted here. Call the ACLU or the SPLC and they can probably give you lots of info.

Last I checked this is GD and there are a lot of folks on here who have a lot of constructive input on all sorts of topics.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
They same way Democrats justify it. They just call it "taking care of them".
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I await edification by GD.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't believe black people were really humans or as fully evolved as white men.

Slaves have been from pretty much every race possible. Only in the European controlled New World has slavery been consigned to a single race.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]
You can ask the same question to most any tribe or civilization throughout human history...
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Way the hell back in the day, there was slavery EVERYWHERE; it was "the way things were."

Later on, though, say, in the pre-Civil War era in America, folks had to search kinda hard to justify slavery.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You can turn that smile upside down.  I am a Christian.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#20]
IBTL
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I checked this is GD and there are a lot of folks on here who have a lot of constructive input on all sorts of topics.

And how is this a constructive topic?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You think too much.

This.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Frederick Douglass talks about this in his autobiographies.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They same way Democrats justify it. They just call it "taking care of them".

Having grown up near Dalton, GA (and the carpet mills and farms that needed pickers in that area) I can also tell you that other words for "slave" in the modern lexicon are "migrant worker" or "undocumented worker."
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Easily: they were not considered human beings.  If you read Kipling's "The White Man's Burden" you see that the prevailing thought was that the other races were not much more than primitive children or primates who must be ruled and guided by Europeans.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Ask the Irish here how their indentured great grandmothers became Americans.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Dude, the whole world rationalized it. For millenia. The Old Testament had rules to govern it. The New Testament told slaves to be an example to their masters, in the hope of winning them over.

So, why would there have to be lies, rationalizations, and mental masturbation?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a legitimate topic with plenty of scholarly works on the topic.  Do you find it unworthy because it doesn't reflect well on your belief system?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's in the Bible?

Chicken dinner

The usual preacher tactic of using the Old Testament instead of the New Testament  to tell Christians how to live.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know, how do black Christians justify their hatred of whites?

Hmmmmm, perhaps Christ has nothing to do with the short comings of man. Instead maybe that was His purpose.....to save us from our short comings.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Because its encouraged in the old testament, and is not prohibited in the new testament.
It was up to humans to use their own moral compass to figure out that it was wrong, which people, most of which were christian, eventually did.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#32]
You're just going to hear the same answers here that you'd find by typing that into Google...except you can't argue with Google unlike how this thread will go I'm sure.

Different way of thinking and it was easier to ignore the hypocrisy than change the culture at the time since history is full of it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Umm...

You're surprised by Christian hypocrisy?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#34]
It was a universal social arrangement that pre-dated Christianity. As with marriage, the Church taught Christians how to behave within the institution, but did not concern itself with reform of slavery anymore than of politics.

You have to remember that before the 18th century, slavery was everywhere as natural, normal, and unexceptionable as friendship or trade. A person might be a good slave owner or a bad one, but the fact that a man owned slaves was of no interest to anyone. If some people had their way, we would be as shocked at the idea of owning dogs and cats as we are at the idea of owning men. It involves a radical change in one's view of the world.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Cristians abolished slavery. The democrats and progressives were not happy about it either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's in the Bible?

Chicken dinner

The usual preacher tactic of using the Old Testament instead of the New Testament  to tell Christians how to live.

You should move to California.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Dude, the whole world rationalized it. For millenia. The Old Testament had rules to govern it. The New Testament told slaves to be an example to their masters, in the hope of winning them over.

A Christian can weigh every issue by this measure:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".  Don't need a D.Div to figure out slavery fails that test
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#38]

The law of love has always been the law of God. It was enunciated by Moses almost as clearly as it was enunciated by Jesus Christ. Yet, notwithstanding this law, Moses and the apostles alike sanctioned the relation of slavery.

The conclusion is inevitable, either that the law is not opposed to it or that slavery is an excepted case. To say that the prohibition of tyranny and oppression include slavery is to beg the whole question. Tyranny and oppression involve either the unjust usurpation or the unlawful exercise of power. It is the unlawfulness, either in its principle or measure, which constitutes the core of the sin. Slavery must, therefore, be proved to be unlawful before it can be referred to any such category. The master may, indeed, abuse his power, but he oppresses, not simply as a master but as a wicked master...

Indeed, as we contemplate their condition in the Southern states, and contrast it with that of their fathers before them and that of their brethren in the present day in their native land, we cannot but accept it as a gracious providence that they have been brought in such numbers to our shores and redeemed from the bondage of barbarism and sin. Slavery to them has certainly been overruled for the greatest good. It has been a link in the wondrous chain of providence, through which many sons and daughters have been made heirs of the heavenly inheritance...As long as that race, in its comparative degradation, coexists, side by side with the white, bondage is its normal condition.

As to the endless declamation about human rights, we have only to say that human rights are not a fixed but fluctuating quantity. Their sum is not the same in any two nations on the globe. The rights of Englishmen are one thing, the rights of Frenchmen, another. There is a minimum without which a man cannot be responsible; there is a maximum which expresses the highest degree of civilization and of Christian culture. The education of the species consists in its ascent along this line. As you go up, the number of rights increases, but the number of individuals who possess them diminishes. As you come down the line, rights are diminished, but the individuals are multiplied...

Now, when it is said that slavery is inconsistent with human rights, we crave to understand what point in this line is the slave conceived to occupy. There are, no doubt, many rights which belong to other men to Englishmen, to Frenchmen, to his masters, for example which are denied to him. But is he fit to possess them? Has God qualified him to meet the responsibilities which their possession necessarily implies? His place in the scale is determined by his competency to fulfill its duties. There are other rights which he certainly possesses, without which he could neither be human nor accountable. Before slavery can be charged with doing him injustice, it must be shown that the minimum which falls to his lot at the bottom of the line is out of proportion to his capacity and culture a thing which can never be done by abstract speculation.

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=1124

One example.

There are others, just hard to find online.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's in the Bible?

Chicken dinner

You should move to California.

Haaa.  Not hardly.

Conservative
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#40]
it's important not to judge historical phenomena while maintaining current perspectives.  slavery was a normal part of life for several millenia--this includes many of the protagonists of the bible, who kept slaves.  if solomon--considered a righteous man--kept slaves, then it isn't a stretch for the people of the time to think that this represented a statement by god that slavery was acceptable, or at least the way of the world.

understand, i'm not defending the institution of slavery in any way.  just making a cultural point about what people might have believed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#41]
If you are referring to the american style of slavery based on race, I have no idea of how it was justified.

Slavery in all other periods was based on serfdom-a slave was someone indebted to their master. A number of people in ancient times voluntarily took on this position, particularly with a favorable master- it meant a stable life, food on the table, a roof over your head when being free often brought you none of these things. Others were forced into this position trying to eke out a living. Not all were capable of buying back their freedom once they became serfs.

Look around you in the modern age and remember this when you look at folks with smoking credit cards and piles of debt. This is a hole they dug themselves into, and the chains of slavery are still there. What did you think it meant to be in debt to another?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A Christian can weigh every issue by this measure:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".  Don't need a D.Div to figure out slavery fails that test

And there it is. The bible has to be interpreted by Christians to figure out what to do on any given issue.

This is why there are different interpretations.

I'm not sure why you are surprised by this.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a legitimate topic with plenty of scholarly works on the topic.  Do you find it unworthy because it doesn't reflect well on your belief system?

My belief 'system' is that slavery is wrong.  Try to cast me as proslavery or racist because i think op is trolling for turds?  Try again.  This crap is old, old, old. What's the next 'christians did this' thread going to be about, Salem?  My bs meter says op is stirring shit. Where's the thead on Islamic pediphilia and bestiality?  

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What a stupid question.

More like an inconvenient one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#46]
There's nothing in the Bible that says that slavery is wrong.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Everyone could  be construed as being a SLAVE to someone or something.... And are quite happy with it today as in yesteryear...
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

If you are referring to the american style of slavery based on race, I have no idea of how it was justified.

Slavery in all other periods was based on serfdom-a slave was someone indebted to their master. A number of people in ancient times voluntarily took on this position, particularly with a favorable master- it meant a stable life, food on the table, a roof over your head when being free often brought you none of these things. Others were forced into this position trying to eke out a living. Not all were capable of buying back their freedom once they became serfs.

Look around you in the modern age and remember this when you look at folks with smoking credit cards and piles of debt. This is a hole they dug themselves into, and the chains of slavery are still there. What did you think it meant to be in debt to another?
You forgot about people being captives of war, particularly women, who could be held as sex slaves.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top