Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2011 11:15:49 AM EDT
Lost one due to some mistakes I made being younger and dumb, my fault really...

I am applying for a new Job and need to list that old job as it shows critical experience.

How Bad Does Being Fired From a Job Really Look? Do you as my future boss willing to forgive mistakes that were made 2 years before (Late, & generally not giving a fuck)
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Need pics of wife / GF or mistress to be able to help

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]

You don't have to tell them you got fired on your resume.

You do need a good story about what you learned and how you applied it to keep the job after that.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

first post and all
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The internet is not Free..
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell them it was mutual or you left out of disatisfaction.

Don't tell them you were fired for being a dummy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

first post and all

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
depends on how long ago it was.

it may depend on why you were fired.  Being young and dumb doesnt count.  Everyone was at one time.

also, if they dont ask, dont offer.

also, if you have ANY co workers that know anything about the firing, make sure you can use them as references and KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THEM!

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#8]
It is difficult to say how they will score your past, while it is an indicator of future performance there are always other factors that play in.  Most importantly have you made an effort and been reliable since that time.  When they call past employers they are somewhat limited in what can be disclosed with the exception of law enforcement jobs.  Be honest with them if they ask people do make mistakes and learn from them but dont badmout your past employers find something good to say or dont say anything about them.  Stay Positive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Most companies will not do anything other than verify past employment and dates. They usually will not discuss performance, pay, the terms under which you left or anything else.

If it was with a sizable company then I wouldn't worry about it. If it was with a small owner run company and you really pissed the guy off or he isn't very smart then you might have an issue with him going into detail about how you left.

In your interview, you don't have to tell them why you left or were fired. They'll ask, but you can say whatever you want.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#10]
if this prior job was critical to justifying your appropriateness for the new job - then expect them to ask for (and contact) a reference from that time.   As the poster above me states very well:  some places are more likely to check references than others.   Also, if enough time passes (ie years), odds are the people you worked for previously might become somewhat forgetful of the nature of your termination, and likewise not have much more to say than "yeah, our records show he was employed here, but I can't offer you much more than that."

It's up to you to determine how badly that bridge was burned.    

But, if that past experience is the only way you think you can prove you're qualified, then list it, explain it, and hope the new place is lazy and doesn't bother with the follow up.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#11]
dont say you were fired , say you were laid off ...
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Be as vague as possible, and don't tell them anything they don't directly ask.  If I ask you what time it is, don't tell me how to build a clock.  You get me?  

Other than that, right now, you've got no job.  If you don't get this one, you haven't lost anything, but that doesn't mean give up on it either.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Past employers can't say much other than dates employed and title.  Just give some good reasons you left, and why you need to pursue other opportunities.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How Bad Does Being Fired From a Job Really Look? Do you as my future boss willing to forgive mistakes that were made 2 years before (Late, & generally not giving a fuck)

Not good.  You'd have to do some pretty fancy verbal tap-dancing to get me to look past that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not good.  You'd have to do some pretty fancy verbal tap-dancing to get me to look past that.

I am the first to admit I did do things to fuck up, I own that..Some people were treated rudely and some things never got done, or started..
I took the job with the "promise" of being promoted..It never came but when asking they kept hanging that carrot on a stick to keep me in the crappy position.
my dissatisfaction show by not caring anymore, I was really pissed at the time..

I wasted a good portion of my mid-late 20's there .
But trying to move on.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#16]
if they ask " reason for leaving" just say " job offer from next employer". In person you can say the next job was closer to your home and/or more money, better hours or health insurance etc which are legitimate reasons for job change. If you didn't work the bad job that long, sometimes you can "Pad" the dates of the prior job and the next job so the bad one won't even be listed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am the first to admit I did do things to fuck up, I own that..Some people were treated rudely and some things never got done, or started..
I took the job with the "promise" of being promoted..It never came but when asking they kept hanging that carrot on a stick to keep me in the crappy position.
my dissatisfaction show by not caring anymore, I was really pissed at the time..

But trying to move on.

Sometimes attitudes can be created. Offer to explain any jobs status changes in person.

ie, I left before I beat the tar out of everybody under the roof.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't use that employer as a reference and don't tell potential new employer the circumstances of you leaving. As I understand the laws, here anyways its illigal for your past employer to slag you anyway. Especially in lawyer happy United States.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't use that employer as a reference and don't tell potential new employer the circumstances of you leaving. As I understand the laws, here anyways its illigal for your past employer to slag you anyway. Especially in lawyer happy United States.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't put a phone # or name of supervisor down. If they ask say, "Everyone is dead, they're alllllllll dead." And stare off into space.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Tell them you were fired unjustly and the law suit is still pending. You can't talk about it.

a-bare
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#22]
My observations on job seeking.

1. Unless the job is exceptionally technical or regulated, 75-90% of your resume is simply about your ability to formulate a coherent, well laid out, and properly formatted and spelled document.

2. Unless it is a rigorous panel process, 90% of interviews are about your personal presentation and interactions with the interviewer.

3. 99.9% of employers with any kind of HR dept. or HR training will only confirm job title and employment dates these days, no matter how good or bad an employee was, due to liability concerns over lawsuits. This is so bad, that many hiring managers won't even bother to call past work references, unless the listed businesses or job experience seems suspicious.

So unless it's a really small town, or a very tightly regulated industry or job type where a reputation and personal history can follow you around, being fired isn't a big deal at all. You can just say you were downsized.

Getting hired and reviewing past job history is a LOT like dating. If you meet an attractive person of the opposite sex, you begin to feel that you're "in to them", and want to see more of them, how many people would believe negative information from other people they don't know personally, and instead just discount it as 'sour grapes' etc.?

Unless you've got some kind of crazy job history that will make an employer question you, in reality, getting hired is more about being the attractive person, and then not fucking it up once hired, than it is about the minutiae of your resume.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#23]
It's not a death sentence.  A lot of people have been fired.  More than you realize.  They survived.  As many have said, most employers just confirm start and end date anyway.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#24]
As long as criminal charges weren't filed as part of you being fired, you should be ok.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As long as criminal charges weren't filed as part of you being fired, you should be ok.

Kharn

LOL, no charges.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Past employers can't say much other than dates employed and title.  Just give some good reasons you left, and why you need to pursue other opportunities.

Oh yes we can.  We can say quite a bit without saying very much.  

As far as getting fired from a past job?   I don't hold it against people I hire.  I have hired ex-convicts that are some of the best employees I have.
I have more respect, and am more likely to give a job, to someone that tells me that they have made mistakes and have learned from them.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But trying to move on.

its only a waste of time if you didnt learn something.  

also, are you going to belive the next person that "promises" you a promotion the next time?  talk is cheap and employeers will do that to keep you especially in the economy.  also, some employeers can be using that time to evaluate you, your attitued and performance.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:27:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is technically not legal for a past employer to say that the former employee was fired.

Whenever I call an employer to verify past employment, I  always ask them if they would hire the former employee again.  If the answer is no,  they are not getting the job.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is technically not legal for a past employer to say that the former employee was fired.

Whenever I call an employer to verify past employment, I  always ask them if they would hire the former employee again.  If the answer is no,  they are not getting the job.

Ha you know the trick too...
My dad was hiring a guy one time when he first became management, and was asking the HR person at his previous employer all kinds of questions, and only getting the run around. The HR guy told my dad, "You are not asking me the right questions. Call me again after you talk to your supervisor, and ask him what you should ask me."
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Most companies will not do anything other than verify past employment and dates. They usually will not discuss performance, pay, the terms under which you left or anything else.

...and it's a shame that we can't do that anymore!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top