BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Walk, a lot, maybe light jogging but not too much shock to the spine to start with.
Heat pad in the evening.
Inversion table.
Swimming is also good, low impact, takes weight off the spine & muscles.
View Quote

hard no on the heating pad.

ice to reduce inflammation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for a daily walk or at least 3-4X/week.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Get younger.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get younger.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Furiously masterbate.

Batin’ works

I use this for a cure all.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
1.  Stretch

2.  Fucking move around

Because if you are less active because your back hurts, then you will be less active because your back will hurt even more.  Which leads to being less active because your back hurts because you weren't active because your back hurt because of you not being active.  Which leads to gaining 400lbs and a diabetes door prize.

so just to be clear:

1. Backpain
2. Lack of activity
3 ?????
4. Profit! (morbid obesity and beetus)
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a decline bench, 30 - 65 bucks.

It allows me to do sit ups without putting pressure on my lower back...Gets me back right quickly, when my back becomes a issue.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yoga is for fags and chicks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get stronger and more stretching.

Deadlifts, squats, and yoga.

Wrong !
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I walked four miles last night

Back still hurts

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Had back troubles since my early 20's.  I'm in my mid 50s no and my back rarely hurts.  I attribute it to mainly strengthening my core by doing planks. Get to the point where you can do a plank with good form for two minutes, and a side plank on each side for at least one minute.  

A trainer/PT would probably point you to walking, core exercise, and posterior chain exercise.  Glute exercises are often beneficial for hip pain.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the same thing.
After 3 years of Xfit I was invited to a hot yoga class.
90 degrees and constant exercise for an hour. Push-ups,
Light weights, stretches, sit-ups, more stretches and more weights.  I was lucky I made it to the end.
Give it a try what have you got to lose besides the back pain.

I bulged a disk during deadlifts once.  Steroid injections and finally surgery fixed it but if I don’t stretch and workout for a while it starts to bother me again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
48 here. As mentioned:

Core and back exercises.

Walking (lots of it).

Stretching - I do 10 minutes of full body stretching daily. Sometimes twice a day. That 10 minus has given me so much flexibility that I've lost from sitting at a desk all day.

Yoga (not just for women). There's a couple of really good yoga for me routines on YouTube. They will kick your ass until you get good at it. But it will help strengthen your core and back.

Get a damn good chair. I was killing my back with the $120 Amazon chair. Plus they wear out fast. My wife convinced me to drop $800 on a Haworth chair. That cured 90% of my back pain a week after I started using it.
View Quote

ALL very good suggestions!
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Inversion table.

^^

View Quote

EXCELLENT suggestion! Titer Teeter is the best & we got one at Costco for $100 less (Upgrade to the one with the grips to get you upright).
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You need a back knobber.

My hips get so tight from driving too much, I have to pummel them back into normalcy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUHIsW7OIf1C8ghW-f4h6g8GlTJdmVMvy0Xw&usqp=CAU
View Quote

Yes, these do help, but I find that using 2 tennis balls shoved in to a nylon stocking (As far as possible & then tie the end to hold them in) works better.
How do you use the tennis balls you ask?
Lay on them with a bare back (Best done on carpet). The gap the 2 balls make when side by side are perfect to put your spine in to - a ball on each side of the spine. If you find a spot that is sore, breath deep and let it out slowly, repeat if needed, stay in that spot till the pain subsides. Shimmy on the floor letting the balls roll down your spine to the next spot (I always start at the top where the neck meets the back (aka: C7 - T1). You can go all the way down to the tailbone. You can be a bit sore like when you get a deep tissue massage, but it does help a lot for most people.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Teeter hangup (inversion table), Stretches, sit ups and core.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I tweaked my back last month. It was pretty rough.

A combination of my wife pulling my legs, inversion table, and her massaging/stretching it really helped. Also I use a lacrosse ball to massage it myself. Sit/lay on it.

Probably better posture
And go to a masseuse.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Put a TENS unit on it, then spray areawith icy hot, then lay on a heating pad.

It works
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
As someone who has worked on people with back problems for 27 years, who has had a fractured vertebra slide 75% forward, and continues to have sciatic pain I would like to put my 2 cents in.

Before going in to ideas which can help a sore back, I would like to mention that back pain can come from referred pain from your organs or glands; Other more serious health issues can also cause back pain and make you feel like doing nothing. It is a good idea to go get a check up & at least get an X-ray done.

Doing some of the exercises mentioned, which do help a weak back, can cause further harm if you have a hairline fracture in a vertebra or hip.

If you have not fallen, lifted something heavy, lifted something heavy and twisted, jumped down from a tall vehicle or something high, been in any kind of accident - even a couple of years ago, etc....read on.

1. Most suggestions in this thread are great! I did add to a couple of them.
2. When you sit, you are balancing on your tailbone, so if a harder chair causes more issues for you it may indicate you are having an issue with the complications of doing that. The joint where your sacrum (Tailbone) and your illium (hip bone) meet can be a source of back & hip pain. This area can shift when you fall or lift something heavy and twist (Think Sam's Club, or putting the kids in a car seat). The sciatic nerve goes through this area and can be pinched.
3. Stretching too far forward with your arms, or grabbing a railing while falling down the stairs can cause lower back pain because the Lattisimus dorsi (Largest lower back muscle) attaches all along the top of the hip bone, up your spine to mid back, stretches up from both those area to your side, and attaches to the front of your upper arm. Extreme stretching of this muscle with your arm outstretched can cause lower back problems and can pinch the sciatic nerve which comes off several places along the spine. It can hike your hip up on one side...do your pants seem longer on one side?
4. I often find certain joined muscles, Ileo psoas, which attach to the inside front of the hip bone, down to your inner upper leg, and up to your lumbar spine in several places can cause similar back pain & hip pain. Releasing these muscles can be difficult and some people are brutal when they do it, which is totally uncalled for. There are several stretches which do help.
5. I find stretching and pressure points to be the best method for my body to relax and let go.
6. I go by the following: ICE when you have a fresh injury (Think of the ball players who put their body in ice at the game or after an injury), or ice when there is further irritation, inflammation (Hot and or red looking), and swelling. Use HEAT to increase circulation, and it is really great to use before doing stretches (Think of how taffy stretches when it is warm).
7. I recommend using tennis balls (Used are best because they are more pliable). See my prior post in the thread to see how they are best used for the back.
8. Many topical lotions, gels, creams, etc. are helpful. I use Olba's oil (A blend of essential oils which smell like Vick's Vapor Rub & does clear your sinuses out really well) which sinks in very well and will either cool down or heat up depending on what your body needs. Icy Hot is similar. I just like using natural items rather than chemical when ever I can.

Good luck with your issue & hope you feel better soon!
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Strength training and stretching.   Go for a medium jog (whatever that means to you) and stretch for 20 mins.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top