Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2018 1:10:25 AM EDT
Like the title says. How many loaded mags should be in each patrol car? I’m leaning towards 4. One in the carbine, one to be kept in the drivers side door pocket, and two more to either keep up front in a duty bag or stash in the trunk. Let me know what your department does. I should clarify, I’m asking about department issued stuff.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My department gives out a rifle and one mag. We can do/ carry as much as we want to after that. I keep one in the rifle, three on my PC and four extra in two bags.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]
120 rds of duty ammo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]
about 10 should do it
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
since the police dress like military on mission around here....300 rounds of ammo
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two in the front and 4 in a chest rig in the back. They only gave us enough ammo for 2 mags when we started with rifles but they issued AE 55 gr so we could buy more. Then they went through a couple of different rounds. They now issue a 62 gr or 64 gr winchester round which isn't the easiest to find and they upped issue to 3 mags...I've got just under 4 mags worth of the new ammo and left the rest filled out with AE... Get mixed answers about rather that is okay. Policy says we have to use the issued ammo but the AE was issued at one time....well if you ever have to actually dip that far into your magazines then I doubt anyone is going to make an issue of it...
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have not used these but your suggestion for mags in the door pocket made me think of these.

https://dsgarms.com/rangerrack

DSG Arms Ranger Rack & Ranger Rack Mini - SHOT Show 2018 Day 3

ETA: also not LE. Sorry I didn't realize that this was in BOS.
Still for vehicle based operations these seem like good options for a question you are asking
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#7]
2 pmags w dirt cover
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
We have one in the rifle, two in a patrol bandoleer up front and two in a plate carrier in the trunk. Patrol Supervisors vehicle has an ammo can with 10 extra mags in it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
We carry two mags for a total of 60rnds per person certified to carry a patrol rifle. Some do carry more.

I don't feel under armed with two mags. That's 45 rnds for my pistol and 60 rnds in the rifle. I can think of very few scenarios that couldn't be resolved with 105 rnds in a LE scenario. I don't have an issue with carrying more but I feel confident with that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#10]
We issue 4 Pmags with each rifle, along with 90 rounds of duty ammo.  They are allowed to buy their own duty ammo and carry more magazines loaded, it just has to be the same as the issued duty rounds.  Patrol is allowed to put an AR mag holder pouch on their outer vest if so inclined.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
We have a few pool rifles that have a mag in them but most people carry a personally owned rifle.

Some people are fine with just the one mag but there are no restrictions on how many mags you can carry on you.

I have a shoulder bag that is loaded with mags. Worst case I’ll have to pick up for all the slackers that only had one mag. But like someone else said, in a LE scenario it’s very unlikely.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
One in the rifle, two to three on the plate carrier
Edit. The way I see it, if you can't solve whatever problem you're facing with four AR  mags, you're having a really bad day
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to go with four per Deputy. If they want to purchase their own, with duty ammo they will be able to. We’re a very rural county, so we’ll also have the opportunity to carry personal mags and ammo for the occasional four legged critter.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#14]
You losers can carry extra mags.  This retired officer just carries an extra rifle

http://www.koaa.com/story/38606250/court-documents-retired-police-officer-shot-armed-suspect-with-two-ar-15s

DOUGLAS COUNTY -

Arrest documents obtained by News 5 said the man who shot an armed carjacking suspect on Rampart Range Road was a retired police officer from Alabama.

According to police, 51-year-old Wesley Mattox shot 28-year-old Austin Benson last Monday. Benson is suspected of six counts of attempted murder after authorities said he stole a car in El Paso County and shot at passing cars on Rampart Range Road last Monday.

With police and deputies in pursuit, Authorities said Benson drove onto an occupied campsite and began yelling. The camper, 51-year-old Wesley Mattox, approached Benson. Mattox is a retired officer from Russellville, Ala.

Mattox told Douglas County deputies Benson pointed a rifle at him and told him to get him water and that "the law was after him." Mattox then said he returned to his camper, where he armed his wife with a handgun and grabbed an AR-15.  Mattox told deputies he took position behind the Mazda and said he told Benson to drop the gun. According to Mattox, Benson swung the rifle toward him and began shooting at him and the camper while driving away.  Mattox said he moved away from his truck to draw fire away from his camper, where his wife was hiding. Benson began driving and hit a tree, where Mattox said he shot one to two more shots after hitting the tree.

Mattox told deputies he thought he was out of ammunition in his rifle, so he retrieved a second AR-15 from his truck and took up position behind a tree behind the Mazda. Armed with the second rifle, he watched the car to see if Benson moved, which he did not.

Manitou Springs Police arrived shortly afterward, and took Benson into custody. He was shot "several times" with wounds to his face and his arm. Manitou Springs Police said they found a pistol, which they unloaded.

Neither Mattox or his wife were injured in the exchange.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep 4 mags.  Two in the gun (coupled) and two on my plate  carrier which stays on the front passenger seat
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
We are only issued 3.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
When we had "pool guns", they came with a 20 round mag in it and 1 in a carrier attached to the buttstock.

Now, most are personally owned with a few issued to the individual.  We have no restriction on how many or where mags/ammo is carried.  I have two 30 rounders coupled together with the rifle and 2 in my go/med bag.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#18]
We're issued 3 30-rd Pmags. I keep 2 30's in each front driver and passenger side doors. A 20rd on mt duty belt and 2 30's in my issued plate carrier. I also keep several extra boxes of issued ammo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Like the title says. How many loaded mags should be in each patrol car? I’m leaning towards 4. One in the carbine, one to be kept in the drivers side door pocket, and two more to either keep up front in a duty bag or stash in the trunk. Let me know what your department does. I should clarify, I’m asking about department issued stuff.
View Quote
Each rifle has two 30rounders and then each active shooter bag has an additional two 30rounders and two extra pistol mags.

You can carry as many extra of each of you want to buy them.

J-
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I think our issue rifles have one mag in the tank and one extra. To be honest I can't remember how many I have in my unit. Somewhere between 8 and 12.  I have 3 in my plate carrier, 1 in my rifle. And an active shooter bag with a medkit and a handful of other loaded mags.

If I hit the range I like the ability to be able to put rounds down range and not need to worry about re-upping a mag or two immediately at that time if I've got other stuff going on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#21]
5 x 28 round magazines issued.  It makes it easy when issuing ammo (7 x 20 round boxes).
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#22]
We are allowed to carry our own rifles and as many mags as we want.  I keep a 30 rd Pmag in my rifle, 4 Pmags on my plate carrier, one in the door pocket for anyone who needs an extra and a 20 rd Pmag on my belt.  They only issue us 90 rounds of duty ammo, but according to firearms instructor, no restriction on type of personal ammo.  He said if it the situation gets passed the 90 rounds, "ain't no one gonna give a shit".
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
1 in my rifle, 3 in my carry bag and 3 in my chest rig
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
3 in my plate carrier, 1 in the gun, and two in the case with the rifle (will relocate these to the front when new racks come in).  No Department rifles.  Department does supply ammo.  64 gr Winchester bonded for 5.56 and 110 gr Hornady GMX for 300 blk for duty.  190 gr Hornady Sub-X to put down animals (I like it quiet) in a 20 rd mag to set it apart from the others.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Our agency has a mix of "intensive use" (IU) cars and a few "individually assigned" cars that are given to select Officers based on seniority, assignment, and a points system based on additional roles/duties at the Dept. I am fortunate to have one of the individually assigned cars. I have seven (7) rifle mags at my disposal while on Patrol; one 30rd Pmag in the rifle, a 20rd Pmag on my duty belt, two in a rapid deployment "go-bag" that also contains a blowout kit, and three more on a heavy (rifle plates) assault vest that also has three spare pistol mags and more trauma kit. Our supervisor SUVs also carry spare mags. I believe the aforementioned IU cars only have three spare magazines besides what is in the gun.

An event such as the 2008 Mumbai Seige is very unlikely in my AO, but...Murphy's law and all that...
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I got issued the rifle, and 20 rounder, and 2x 30 rounders.  I bought 3 more 30's, a 40, and another 20.

Right now it's a 30 in the gun, a 20 on the belt, a 30 and a 20 in the vest, and the rest in a bailout bag.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
about 10 should do it
View Quote
Nancy Pelosi agrees.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#28]
At least 10 or more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got one in the gun and one in each front door panel. Then 10 in the back
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a 20 round PMAG in my rifle (for extra elbow room) and 2 30 round PMAGs in the driver's door.  When my plate carrier is done it will have 3 rifle mags on it as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:16:23 AM EDT
[#31]
1 30 rnd mag in the gun, 1 30 rnd mag on the belt
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm surprised we don't see more patrol rifles with a 2x30rd mags in a mag coupler as a sort of "bailout" configuration.

That seems to be a logical solution as most officers wont have spare mags on their belt, and may not have the time / forethought to snag more out of their vehicle in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#33]
we get issued one mag, but as much ammo as you want. Most of us carry two or three on our tac vest (i am a detective) and almost all of patrol carries one on their belt. A lot of people also have a bug out bag, but can have as many mags as the indivudal wants.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#34]
One in the rifle, two or three on the plate carrier, and two for putting in the door. If you want to carry more you can. A lot of guys also have spare pistol mags in the doors. Shotgun with slugs in the trunk.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:36:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I think i have 9 or so in the car either on a go bag or plate carrier.  My chief would not raise an eyebrow if I had more though
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Obviously one in the gun but I carry a thigh rig with three in them. Plate carrier has 1 extra.  I do carry 4 empty ones for training so that way I don’t dent  or what not the duty ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top