Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2002 3:30:35 AM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/736740/posts[/url]

Houston Police Chief C.O. Bradford ordered an investigation Monday into the weekend arrests of hundreds of people gathered
peacefully at a westside parking lot by police who were assigned to stop illegal drag racing.

Officers on the scene called the arrests "utterly, utterly senseless" on Monday, and said the captain in charge, Mark Aguirre, ordered
them to round up everyone who was outside the 24-hour Kmart Super Center or eating at the Sonic Drive-In next door.

The operation had been weeks in planning and involved dozens of officers. But officers involved said that when no drag racers were
found, they were ordered to arrest the 278 people there.

Police on Sunday said 425 people were arrested, but Monday revised the count. Most were charged with criminal trespass.

"I couldn't believe we were being told to arrest all those kids. It was just utterly, utterly senseless," said one officer involved, who
violated department policy by discussing the arrests and spoke on condition of anonymity.

"Captain Aguirre was put in charge, and it went to hell in a handbasket," said a police supervisor who was at the scene, also violating
department policy and requesting anonymity.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of those officers felt it was not right to do but they did it anyway, no guts, or pride in themselves, good article, thanks, it shows that are society is fubar, and won't recover. There may come a time when resistance to unlawful arrest is a must.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There may come a time when resistance to unlawful arrest is a must.
View Quote

And that time grows closer by the day.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I hope that police department has good lawyers and a lot of $$$ so they are ready for the lawsuits that will surely follow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
sad, really f'n sad.

[peep]
I'm surprised no one got shot, cops have the [b][i]right[/b][/i] to go home to their loved ones even if it means violating someone elses rights.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]
shhhh  its still under raps.   my dad is working on the case for Sonic.  as you know the sonic property is in the kmart parking lot, and police arrested everyone at the sonic too. well my dad is sponcered by them to do antigang presentations at schools and such, but they also hired him to do a investigation.  my dad and i went over there to see if there were no tresspassing signs, there arnt.  by law, there has to be a sign, or the manager has to come out and tell the people to leave and give them fair warning before the people can be arrasted by the police.  anyway...i will sneek details as i hear them from my dads P.I. firm.  heeheeh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top