Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2001 5:12:20 AM EDT
In the news a few days ago, HISD board members recently passed a administrative change calling for a slight tax increase in property taxes in Houston to pay for a teacher pay increase and building upgrades.  Well in order to pass the bill they, slightly altered the figures showing the increase would only amount to an additional increase of $47? per homeowner which made is pass very quickly with board members.  However, one vital thing that the administrators left out was the fact that homeowners would in fact pay $247? more per house due to the inflated appraisals from the tax assessor.  The tax assessor did comment in the Houston Chronicle that the HISD administrators misrepresented figures intentionally to persuade the tax board to pass the issue.  Pisses me off because the money will never go to the teachers, but rather the Taj Mahal of a administrative building that HISD coupled with the top heavy adminstration.

Source Houston Chronicle dated either last Saturday and Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not going there either. Due to the Robin Hood law a chunck will go to a poorer school district. That could be the reason for the lie. They knew they would need more than what would be acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]
If they lied, then someone needs to start raising one heck of a fuss!

This sounds like to me, typical goverment dialoge and the citizens of Houston, need to not take it.  They need not go, Ok, whatever!

Thank God, I do not work for HISD but the next largest school district to the west.  You couldn't offer me million bucks to work at HISD!
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would like to see it made public how much apartment complexes get charged for school taxes.  Seems that is where most of the school age children in Houston come from.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top