Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 10:20:53 AM EDT
HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Front page

Aug. 15, 2004, 11:24PM

Gunshot kills girl, 5, in her home
Stepfather says he fired the shot after mistaking her for a burglar
By MIKE GLENN
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

A Houston man shot and killed his 5-year-old stepdaughter early Sunday after mistaking her for a burglar in their northeast Houston home, police said.

Agun Ortega Pina, 25, told detectives he reached for his gun about 1 a.m. when he heard suspicious noises inside his house in the 2800 block of Kentucky.

Pina fired a single shot when his stepdaughter, Alejandra Hernandez, tried to open the door to his bedroom, where he and his wife had been sleeping. Pina, who has not been charged, told police he thought someone was breaking into his bedroom.

Family friend Max Gutierrez spoke with Pina soon after the girl was shot.

"He has a broken heart," Gutierrez said. "He told me, 'I can't believe it. I feel bad.'"

Silverio Portillo was staying at the home when Pina fired the shot that struck the child in the chest.

"I just woke up and Alejandra was right there on the floor," a still-shaken Portillo said through an interpreter.

Portillo helped the couple carry their wounded child to the family's van.

"She was alive, she was breathing," he said.

The child was rushed to LBJ Hospital, where she later died. Police said the case will be sent to a Harris County grand jury for review.

Hours after the child's death, shocked neighbors gathered across from their home.

"The family was very happy," said Sammy Gomez, who lives next door.

Pina often brought his young stepdaughter to the park and let her tag along when he had errands to run, Gutierrez said.

One of Alejandra's friends, 11-year-old Juan Rodriguez, was devastated when his parents told him about her death.

"She was like my little sister. She liked to share everything," Rodriguez said.

Neighbors corroborated Pina's fears about criminals breaking into area homes. He posted no trespassing signs and wrapped steel bars around the ground-mounted air conditioner unit. A motion-detection light over the driveway flashes on, even during the day, when somebody walks by the house.

The girl's parents could not be reached for comment Sunday. Neighbors said they were staying with relatives while making funeral arrangements.

[email protected]

This article is: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2738359
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats why I have a  surefire on my home defence pistol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]
every news ch in Houston carried that said story. people have to check the target always! i bet as soon as he grabbed his gun. his finger was on the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

By MIKE GLENN

A Houston man shot and killed his 5-year-old stepdaughter early Sunday after mistaking her for a burglar in their northeast Houston home, police said....

Silverio Portillo was staying at the home when Pina fired the shot that struck the child in the chest.

Several failures here, lack of target ID, etc.  But there is something that I note....

"Pina fired the shot that struck the child in the chest."

The chest of a 5-year-old is significanty lower than that of an adult.  It appears that there was some amount of ambient light in the area.  It may not have been enough to allow for feature recognition, but he did have enough light to hit the target in the chest.

Seeing as he apparently had that much light, the question must be asked...

Did the size of the target cause any questions to come to mind?

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By MIKE GLENN

A Houston man shot and killed his 5-year-old stepdaughter early Sunday after mistaking her for a burglar in their northeast Houston home, police said....

Several failures here, lack of target ID, etc.  But there is something that I note....

The chest of a 5-year-old is significanty lower than that of an adult.  It appears that there was some amount of ambient light in the area.  It may not have been enough to allow for feature recognition, but he did have enough light to hit the target in the chest.

Um the bedroom door was closed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By MIKE GLENN

-

I have heard two reports - one that she opened the door and one that she was attempting to open it.  I can't say if it was open or not then.

However, he was aiming LOW if he thought the target was an adult, but his aim was perfect for a child.  Something just seems a little odd.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By MIKE GLENN

-

I have heard two reports - one that she opened the door and one that she was attempting to open it.  I can't say if it was open or not then.

However, he was aiming LOW if he thought the target was an adult, but his aim was perfect for a child.  Something just seems a little odd.  

Probably couldn't see very well and tried to shoot the bad guy in the nuts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say bad luck & bad shooting -> one hit in the chest...

MORON...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]

How do you not identify your target when you know you have a toddler in the house?  HOW!?!  If he shot through a closed door at her I hope they light his ass up.  If he shot her with the door open, then how do not notice your life-threatning intruder is either one of the "wee-people" or a child?  If there isn't enough light then get a damn flashlight.

Thanks go out to this guy for marking up another anti-point.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Oops wrong thread!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top