Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2011 11:22:59 AM EDT
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/upton-close-agreement-legislation-repeal

House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-Mich.) says that he is "close” to an agreement with sponsors of legislation that would repeal the 2007 ban on the ordinary incandescent light bulb.

Upton told bloggers at The Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C., Tuesday, that he is working with Reps. Joe Barton (R-Texas) and Michael Burgess (R-Texas) and expects that "soon, very soon" they will advance a bill that would undo regulations that effectively ban the ordinary incandescent light bulb by 2012 – regulations that Upton sponsored in 2007.

It's a good start.

Via Instapundit.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Europe just calls them heat spheres now. Light is just a waste byproduct.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The evil racist hate filled Republicans just want to destroy the planet while making profits for big oil.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
That idiot Upton.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Gasoline cans next?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
A whole lotta people who are hoarding bulbs are gonna be pissed...
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#6]
dude, they are electric heaters, in the various energy wattages, 40 60 75, 100w .
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Meh, I'll use them eventually.

Of course, I just bought a few extra boxes each month instead of taking out a second mortgage and filling up a storage unit in anticipation of selling them at 100% markup.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That idiot Upton.

Wasn't he a driving force in getting them banned in the first place? Yeah, he's a jackass.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gasoline cans next?

well, whilst they are doing such important things, yes. i want several spectre nato 20l jugs.

but anyway, cant they find something better to do. i mean the whole litebulb thing is silly, and republikans spending time on this issue with other things falling apart just seems a bit sad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gasoline cans next?

well, whilst they are doing such important things, yes. i want several spectre nato 20l jugs.

but anyway, cant they find something better to do. i mean the whole litebulb thing is silly, and republikans spending time on this issue with other things falling apart just seems a bit sad.

*facepalm*

Silly regulations like this are one of the reasons things are falling apart.  Just because it's something small it doesn't mean they shouldn't do it if they have the opportunity.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn racist republicans trying to extend the Bush light bulb deregulation.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nah, I've got about $20 invested in my 200 bulbs.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gasoline cans next?

*facepalm*

Silly regulations like this are one of the reasons things are falling apart.  Just because it's something small it doesn't mean they shouldn't do it if they have the opportunity.

Hmmm I have said that before and got called a pothead and a Paulbot...

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I really hope the left gets all huffy and throws a fit...
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Good!  I hope it passes and isn't vetoed by the Kenyan usurper.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-Foxxz

Banning shit never works, and people will search for ways to obtain their desireds no matter how ordinary or exclusive, no matter how regulated or illegal it is. I hope this repeal pass before the National War on Incandescent Light Bulbs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#18]
After this, they can get to work on removing the restrictions on how much water a toilet can use.

After that, they can get started on the 5,099,394,238* useless regs that should be handled on a state/local level.

*Made up number, but it is probably accurate to the 100,000.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I sure hope so - pretty stupid law if you ask me

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gasoline cans next?

Certainly with the economy in shambles, yes, but that's a different story.

In truth, the incandescent light bulb is still the best thing going, IMHO.  Certainly more heat discharge per lumen, but the alternative foisted upon us will not solve the energy problem, while causing more problems.

1)  More households will typically need more "environmentally friendly" lights to get close to what the  incandescent light bulb is able to provide.

Result:  Likely no energy savings, but a boost the lamp industries.  (Similar to the effect after the low-volume toilets were foisted upon us)

2)  "Environmentally friendly" bulbs, when broken, are a toxic nightmare.  Have you read the instructions of what to do when one breaks, and disperses mercury?  Open windows, don rubber gloves.  Great.

Result:  Someone will eventually put forth a lawsuit for exposure to a toxic substance.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

That is actually true for incandescent bulbs, 95% of the energy used is emitted as heat, 5% as light.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Certainly with the economy in shambles, yes, but that's a different story.

In truth, the incandescent light bulb is still the best thing going, IMHO.  Certainly more heat discharge per lumen, but the alternative foisted upon us will not solve the energy problem, while causing more problems.

1)  More households will typically need more "environmentally friendly" lights to get close to what the  incandescent light bulb is able to provide.

Result:  Likely no energy savings, but a boost the lamp industries.

2)  "Environmentally friendly" bulbs, when broken, are a toxic nightmare.  Have you read the instructions of what to do when one breaks, and disperses mercury?  Open windows, don rubber gloves.  Great.

Result:  Someone will eventually put forth a lawsuit for exposure to a toxic substance.

My dad has moved to those swirly florescent bulbs on his own. The energy saving are real and the light they produce is enough.

However, the light that is produced is far less pleasing to the eye than the warm light of incandescent bulbs. I'll stick with incandescent.

As to the toxicity, this is an argument that the enviro-hippies to ban things that otherwise work good.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn. If this gets repealed, putting a pat. on the 99 watt bulb was a total waste. And I'll need to cancel a large order.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top