Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/31/2009 8:51:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 9:02:19 AM EST by WolfFox]
The House passed emergency legislation Friday approving an additional $2 billion for the "cash for clunkers" program, whose immediate popularity this week threatened to sink the program.

Skipping over regular procedure to obtain an immediate floor vote, the House Democrats' legislation would shuffle around funds from the Recovery and Reinvestment Act, an emergency stimulus for the original $1 billion budget for rebates on new cars that lawmakers worried had been exhausted in only a week.

Republicans objected to the maneuver, saying Democrats were trying to jam the legislation through. The bill includes hand-written marks on its margins, a sign of the haste in which the legislation was written Friday.

Click Here to see Bill

Democrats have hailed the success of the clunkers program, which has fueled hundreds of thousands of new car sales this week, but congressional Republicans began mounting a campaign Friday against the "absurdity" of another infusion of money, calling it the second bailout in three days following a $14 billion boost in funds for highways and other projects.

"If there was an 'extra' $2 billion in a stimulus program that was suitable for a different purpose, why did we spend the $2 billion in the first place?" said Rep. Jerry Lee of California, the ranking Republican on the House Appropriations Committee. "How many other billions of dollars are in the stimulus not being spent that we can return to the taxpayers?"

The White House said the program would continue despite mounting concern over funding, which would not be approved before a Senate vote, which was not possible Friday.

"We're working that through," said David Axelrod, a senior adviser to President Obama. "The program is going to continue."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the program remain alive "this weekend" and anyone looking to buy a car through the program should still do so –– but would not commit to any timeframe beyond that.

Republican leadership said that in the face of overwhelming support they would not be able to sink the bill, but that many Republicans would likely end up voting against it. The legislation may face stiffer opposition in the Senate, where Republican leaders expressed their fervent disapproval.

"We're now again bailing out the automobile corporations, two of which we own," said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. "It's remarkable."

Republicans in the House and Senate said early handling of the program sent worrying signals that the administration was not prepared to handle legislation on health care reform, which will involve far larger sums of money.

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said it was unclear how many Republicans would support the infusion plan. "There are a lot of questions about how the administration administered this program. If they can't handle something as simple as this, how would we handle health care?" he said, a sentiment echoed by Sen. David Vitter, R-La.

"Cash for Clunkers has only been active for a short period of time, and it has already run a deficit," Senator Vitter said in a statement. "But we are supposed to trust the president and his Congressional allies to accurately 'reform' the health care industry, which makes up one-seventh of our entire economy?"

The Senate was not scheduled to vote on Friday but lawmakers hoped to win approval for additional funding next week. Gibbs said administration officials and bipartisan leaders of Congress were working Friday morning "to find and develop ways to continue to fund this program."

The administration assessed its options amid concerns that the $1 billion allocated for "cash for clunkers" may have been depleted. The program officially began last week and has been heavily publicized by automakers and dealers.

Called the Car Allowance Rebate System, or CARS, the program offers owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle, in exchange for scrapping their old vehicle. Congress last month approved the plan to boost auto sales and remove some inefficient cars and trucks from the roads.

The program was scheduled to last through Nov. 1 or until the money ran out, but few predicted the fund would run out so quickly. The $1 billion in funding would provide up to 250,000 new car sales.

It was unclear how many cars had been sold under the program. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., said about 40,000 vehicle sales had been completed through the program but dealers estimated they were trying to complete transactions on another 200,000 vehicles, putting the amount of remaining funding in doubt.

John McEleney, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association, said many dealers have been confused about whether the program will be extended and for how long. Many had stopped offering the deals Thursday after word came out that the funds available for the refunds had been exhausted.

"We are hoping for some clarity from the White House and Congress before the day is over," McEleney said Friday.

The clunkers program was set up to boost U.S. auto sales and help struggling automakers through the worst sales slump in more than a quarter-century. Sales for the first half of the year were down 35 percent from the same period in 2008, and analysts are predicting only a modest recovery during the second half of the year.

So far this year, sales are running under an annual rate of 10 million light vehicles, but as recently as 2007, automakers sold more than 16 million cars and light trucks in the United States.

Earl Stewart, who owns a Toyota dealership in North Palm Beach, Fla., said the changing messages on the program has created confusion among his customers and his staff. Stewart's accounting department also could only enter about a dozen of the 47 sales he made into the government Web site set up to handle the transactions, leaving him wondering if he will get refunded for the remaining vouchers.

With so much uncertainty surrounding the program, Stewart said he planned to continue to sell cars under the program Friday but would delay delivering the new vehicles and scrapping the trade-ins. Drivers would be put in loaners until he was absolutely certain the program was still going.

"It's been a total panic with my customers and my sales staff. We are running in one direction and then we are running in another direction," he said.

FOX News' Chad Pergram contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:53:33 AM EST
Don't worry. Your new taxes will float the bill. Nothing to get worked up about. Money for everyone!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:57:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 8:58:26 AM EST by WolfFox]
I for one had had enough of the crap! Any one... even illegal's can take their wrecked cars to a dealership and get $4,500 of our tax dollars and what are we getting for this. Not a Dang thing, but screwed!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:04:57 AM EST
FREE MONEY FOR EVERYONE!!

I want more free stuff....gimmie gimmie gimme!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:07:09 AM EST
HELL YEAH!

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:08:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By WolfFox:
I for one had had enough of the crap! Any one... even illegal's can take their wrecked cars to a dealership and get $4,500 of our tax dollars and what are we getting for this. Not a Dang thing, but screwed!

how do illegals participate. Doesnt the vehicle have to be registered and insured. How does one do that if they dont have an address.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:09:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By TPK0999:

how do illegals participate. Doesnt the vehicle have to be registered and insured. How does one do that if they dont have an address.

You are kidding right?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:11:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 9:26:32 AM EST by rippersde50]

Wrong. We get inefficient cars off the streets so they don't warm the globe, melt the ice caps, and kill the polar bears. We also help provide banks with a ton of interest revenue*, the auto industry with a boost of car sales, and the used parts industry with 700,000 or so less cars to part from.

*I expect to hear about a rash of car "foreclosures" coming within a year.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:14:00 AM EST
On the local news this morning, some dumb bitch was crying that she 'can't get my cash for my clunker.'
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:14:25 AM EST
Where the fuck are they getting the money to do this?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:14:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By TPK0999:

You are kidding right?

No not really. I never understood nor looked it up. I just dont see how you can qualify for anything by the govt if you dont technically live here. Im sure im wrong. I just never understood the reasoning.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:16:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Mazawakhan:

China
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:22:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 9:23:18 AM EST by glockO]
Imagine if all tax payers got a $4500 Tax Cut?
WE would of stimulated every industry
...without 'Printing Money'

...but that's crazy talk; Only the Federal Government can fix things

All this shows me is:
1) WE Pay less in taxes OUR economy thrives;
2) the Federal Government has no Clue
3) Their Clueless Minds will ruin US ALL
...but 'They' are smarter than US

How do WE express a Vote of No Confidence?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:23:28 AM EST
Great. Turn in the lead sled you can barely afford for a new car you totally won't be able to afford.

Bravo, Federal government...
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:24:23 AM EST
SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:25:05 AM EST
Fuck Congress and Obama and the Wookie.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:31:53 AM EST
If they really cared about the environment I would be able to turn in my beat to shit old V8 grand cherokee for a used, and cheap, honda civic HX. That way, I would get amazing gas mileage, and not be adding anything additional to the consumer debt load. Oh wait, this isn't about the environment or any of that nonsense, this is strictly about buying votes. Oops, I forgot for a moment, everything they say is a lie.

Of course, I wouldn't trade my old car for anything even if I could, so fuck em'
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:33:36 AM EST

Check your pockets, and those of your children and grandchildren.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:33:42 AM EST

line up sheeple.

your getting more free money.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:36:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 10:07:01 AM EST by Gloftoe]
6.) Attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:37:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By RunsWithScissors:
Great. Turn in the lead sled you can barely afford for a new car you totally won't be able to afford.

Setting us up to buying people cars outright when they all start getting repo'ed in a few months. More "stimullating" the auto industry.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:55:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By klinc:
Originally Posted By RunsWithScissors:

Setting us up to buying people cars outright when they all start getting repo'ed in a few months. More "stimullating" the auto industry.

Now now, look how well it worked in the housing market.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:56:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 10:07:17 AM EST by Gloftoe]
Originally Posted By AC_Doctor:
6.) Attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

AC

I'll go ahead and quote him just incase he's on someones ingnore list
Originally Posted By Dave_A:

It is also (predictably) 100% BROKE...

Oops...

Stupid dems...

The cash for clunkers program... Is a clunker...

And it's out of gas ($$$), so they canned it....

Some of you guys that hate Dave_A really go out of your way to want to know his opinion....

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:58:34 AM EST

In before the CoC violation Edit Dave_A says this is a great
program for everybody and our Government is always
trying to get us the best deal for our money...

AC

You cannot formulate a decent argument against Dave_A so you resort to childish name calling.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:01:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 10:07:30 AM EST by Gloftoe]

Hey I'm all in for rolling my eyes at Dave_A, but at least wait until he posts in a thread first.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:11:06 AM EST
And these assholes want to run the Healthcare System!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:15:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

Hey I'm all in for rolling my eyes at Dave_A, but at least wait until he posts in a thread first.

I'm definitely not one to champion Dave, but from what I can tell, Dave is against this stupid plan as anyone. At least give some credit to him for that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:15:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 10:19:36 AM EST by modus]
This program really costs the government $20,000 per car, not $3500 & $4500.

I'm thinking about getting a third CFC. Starve the beast... And don't be crying about 'taxpayers' first of all we don't and won't pay for it, government won't last that long. Second I pay in more than most make.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:17:06 AM EST
Term limits and napalm . . . top to bottom
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:19:04 AM EST

So the first billion only lasted 7 days...so this will last 14 days.

THEN WHAT?!

Fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:19:31 AM EST
Has Dave even posted yet?

In before the "morans" show up.

The welfare line at the dealership starts here.<––––––––––––––––––––––––––

That is to the left.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:21:26 AM EST
Somebody tell me where all this free money is coming from
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:22:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

THEN WHAT?!

Fucking idiots.

Two billion MORE dollars.

So 21 days.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:22:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By BigDozer66:
Has Dave even posted yet?

In before the "morans" show up.

The welfare line at the dealership starts here.<––––––––––––––––––––––––––

That is to the left.

BigDozer66

Not in this thread about CFC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:23:04 AM EST
It's raining Billion dollar bills G!!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:24:30 AM EST
Dear Senators, Representatives, and President Obama:

Please stop fucking us.

Sincerely,
The People of the United States of America
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:25:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 10:50:26 AM EST by rippersde50]
Originally Posted By Melvinator2k0:
Somebody tell me where all this free money is coming from

Directly: China and other debt holders.

Inderectly: You, many years from now + interest.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:27:10 AM EST

you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:28:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By AndrewS:

Please stop fucking us.

Sincerely,
Half the People of the United States of America

You could say all, but no one is going to believe that.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:28:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

THEN WHAT?!

Fucking idiots.

Then we can have third quarter results that show even "more" of a recovery*.

* = if you count a complete collapse in consumer spending other than greased by government dollars dropped billions at a time to be recovery.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:29:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By rippersde50:

Please stop fucking us.

Sincerely,

No. They are fucking us all. Only half of us might see it but everyone will pay the price.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:30:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 10:31:57 AM EST by BigDozer66]

Please stop fucking us.

Sincerely,
Half of the people who actually vote in the United States of America

Just one adjustment to it.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:32:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 10:34:25 AM EST by GIJoe]
I would be looking for the unversal Health Care bill being tacked on as an ammendment to this legislation.........
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:32:42 AM EST
You mean a govt program is now costing 3 times the original cost? Huh, who woulda thought.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:38:18 AM EST

Please stop fucking us.

Sincerely,

No. They are fucking us all. Only half of us might see it but everyone will pay the price.

Agreed, but you can't speak for all of America if only a portion of the people see it your way (hence the signature change, but not the content).

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:41:15 AM EST
Worthless cocksuckers..... they should be afraid.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:49:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By osprey21:

Afraid? Afraid of what? Sheep graze. Sheep never voice their opinion. Sheep never vote...

They are in control, and they know it. We are tryly fucked. As is our children and our grandchildren.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:51:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By davis9588:
Originally Posted By osprey21:

Afraid? Afraid of what? Sheep graze. Sheep never voice their opinion. Sheep never vote...

Bleat for yourself.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:52:10 AM EST
devide that 3 bil. by 4500 and see what you get.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:01:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By IzzyIsaac:
devide that 3 bil. by 4500 and see what you get.

I already said it.

I was being generous though. In an article it mention the Gov estimated two hundred fifty thousand cars per one billion dollars.

That would make it an estimated 750,000 vehicles destroyed.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:02:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 11:04:44 AM EST by WildApple]
Our enslaved grand kids will look back at Videos of us destroying these perfectly good cars (in the middle of a recession/depression no less) .......what the fuck is wrong with our country

GOD HELP US! or are we beyond help now?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top