Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 2:22:15 AM EST
Hello ladies,

I will be flying to the Fairfax, VA area in a few weeks. I'm going thru a difficult time here, and I need a break.

Before I go and reserve a room at a really ghetto hotel, I figured I'd ask some of you. Any help is much appreciated by yours truly. I've reserved many rooms before, but they have either been really bad or really great (and really expensive). I'm looking to find some middle ground. Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:32:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 2:47:27 AM EST by gotm4]
I'm not a lady, but I'm 9x19s husband.

If you're an NRA member which you should be. The NRA does have discounts through several hotel chains.
Also be sure to visit the Nat'l Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ building.

www.nrahq.org/givejoinhelp/membership/benefits.asp
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:28:44 AM EST
There are a LOT of nice hotels, depending on what you want to spend. The Comfort Inn on Lee Highway is usually pretty inexpensive, but everytime I have needed rooms there was part of a block so the rate was insanely cheap for NoVa ($59 a night).

If you want to spend a little more, the Hyatt at Fair Lakes is pretty nice and is conveniently located next to a bunch of stuff (dozens of restaurants and stuff). There used to be a Holiday Inn at Fair Oaks Mall that is being renovated and turned into a Marriot (it was nice before) but I don't know when it is opening, though it may have already happened.

Anything in TYson's COrner/Vienna will be very convenient, likely very nice, but much more expensive.

Hope that helps some,

shooter

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:49:33 PM EST
Definitely some helpful information. I will visit the NRA museum. I applied for a job there a long time ago. Maybe I just need to go tell them "Hire me!" in person this time. I may only be there for 2 nights, so I might be inclined to splurge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:22:04 AM EST
You might try looking at www.priceline.com as it has been helpful for us in the past. My advice is not to stay in the Days Inn Alexandria or the Comfort Inn Alexandria, as they are definitely of the "ghetto" variety! We stayed near the University of Maryland one time, and it was a descent area, but more of a drive than you probably want to make.

We really liked the area around the waterfront of Alexandria. Nice restaurants and pretty storefronts. We generally like to stay in Virginia, where we can leave our handguns behind as we visit the nation's capitol due to the DC ban. If you are going into DC, make sure your knife is less than 2.5" and all firearms/ammo/pepper spray is left behind. Enjoy your stay!
Top Top