Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 5:44:36 AM EDT
I have a pair of 10 yr old+ Danners that are insulated, waterproof and hot as hell, I love them.  They're black but I wear them for everything from working in the woods to hunting.

I need a hot weather boot.  I like a 10" boot and would think curdura/leather would be best for the NC heat.  I work on a farm every weekend June - August and the hiking boots just aren't cutting it, too low and worn out.  

I heard the Danners are now made overseas?  Should I go with Matterhorns?  It's been a while since I needed a pair, any advice you might have would be great. I prefer combat style because of tread /durability as opposed to the slick bottom red wings style or slip ons like some guys wear around here - no support in those at all.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Belleville or Altama desert boots.  Both have a variety of styles available.

ETA:  A member here has a good deal on these:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=90&t=366839
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Also take a look at Corcorans, at www.coveshoe.com.  I have a pair of Corcoran "Mach" desert boots and am quite happy wit them.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Belleville or Altama desert boots.  Both have a variety of styles available.

ETA:  A member here has a good deal on these:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=90&t=366839

I like my hot weather Belleville pair.  They are unfortunately black because I am a cheapskate and that was what was on sale at Sportsmans Guide.  If they were tan, they would be mint.  They wear like a pair of shoes.  In fact they wear better than all my shoes except for my Nike shocks I have for running.

x156
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#4]
stay away from the oakleys
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
There should be good deals to be had on Bates, Bellville & Altima black boots (HW and CW)...

With the Army's switch to brown boots for everything, there's going to be plenty of black ones left over - both issue and aftermarket styles....
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The new Blackhawk boot is probably the "best" hot weather boot I've worn, in regards to keeping feet cool.  Not waterproof though.  The boot and the SOLAG gloves are the only piece of Blackhawk gear I'll own.

The redesigned Oakelys look promising.  I only wear my old pair off-duty becuase the soles squeak like a mofo when wet.  And also, NOT waterproof.

I also have a pair of Lowa Desert Seekers, which is a sturdier boot than the Blackhawks, but not as cool.

Meindl's Desert Fox is another outstanding boot.  Got a pair of them too.

Haix is another fantastic boot, specifically the P6 desert boot.

Meindls and Haix are going to be hard to find.  I had to order mine from Germany.

The Danner TFX is also a good boot.  Relatively lightweight, waterproof...but not as comfy or stable.  Still a great boot though.  If the Meindl/Haix/Lowa are 10s in terms of comfort, support, stability etc...then the Danners are probably an 8.5-9.

So, to summarize, the Blackhawks are the lightest and the coolest, but have the least support.  Meindl/Haix and Lowa tied for first place in foot-comfort/stability/support, but aren't ast cool...but are far from foot-cookers.

Danners are my everyday kicking around boots.

Altamas....SUCK. Bellvilles SUCK.  Can you say Planar Fascitiis? Matterhorns are a great boot...but fucking HEAVY.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome info folks - thanks a ton!

man those Haix P6 boots look like a good boot.  I think i'm between those and the Matterhorn 4010 temperate weather, non insulated, waterproof, cambrella, nomex, kevlar made in the USA mud stompers.  They do look heavier

Thanks gain for all the advice.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Awesome info folks - thanks a ton!

man those Haix P6 boots look like a good boot.  I think i'm between those and the Matterhorn 4010 temperate weather, non insulated, waterproof, cambrella, nomex, kevlar made in the USA mud stompers.  They do look heavier

Thanks gain for all the advice.

Lowa Desert Seeker PT Boots.........most comfortable boots I've ever worn, made in Europe, 1 year warranty..........Military Moron had a good review on them........
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]
both the hot weather bellville, and the cold weather gortex bellvilles that i was issued from the army are the best damn boots i've worn.   I highly recommend their hot weather boots work on the farm.  Although, some people have said that they wear out a bit faster. (i dont know, mine are still holding up fine.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to piggyback my boot question and hope someone's still checking this thread.  I like the features of my cheap jungle boots that I bought in college and just thought I wanted a higher quality boot with identical features.  

I don’t know what’s been going on in boots and what people think are improved constructions and design features so I’d like some help.

I'm not working outside even every week, but I do need a boot for some hunting, hiking, and working on my folks and my in-laws places.  I don’t do enough of any one of these to justify a good boot designed for each so I’d like one that could fill all those roles.  I'm in south and central Texas so hot weather performance is the most important thing to me by far.  I have a pair of cheap insulated boots that work great for the few times I'm going to be freezing in a deer stand somewhere (less than 50 is freezing if I’m sitting still he
So, am I missing something or should I just buy the altama's that look like my cheapies?

altama jungles

Thanks,

Sauce
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top