Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2011 7:33:55 PM EDT
Starting the process of shopping for a hot tub and there are so many choices and prices! Anyone with thoughts on a brand and model? Have looked at Maax, Catalina, and Hot Springs so far. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you have a hot tub party.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever brand you buy don't spill any contraband russian energy drink on the control panel.

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
buy once cry once.

they can be maintenance monsters, so look for warranty/ extended warranty/ protection plan type stuff. 1 thing going tits up and it will be worth it.

lots of big pool/spa places are hitting the bricks lately with the economy going full retard, you might find a deal.

Do your chemicals right or you will catch super-aids
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
My Caldera Tahitian is the shizzle.

Extremely rich neighbor bought it new for $10,600
He used it 2-3 times, then one year later I bought it from him for $2000.

Buy used.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Buy used.

They're just like motorcycles...

Someone buys one, uses it a bunch of times the first summer, then it sits there unused.

My buddy's house came with one, he thought it was awesome, fast forward 2 years, he gave it away to someone because the maintenance per time spent using it was too much hassle.

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
no chernobly in the hot tub
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I almost bought one once, only because five of my best friends had them - all built-in's.
None of them have them anymore - they were either destroyed by rodents or were to expensive to maintain year around.
I learned my lesson - they ALL told me to run from these insidious heathen traps....
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Craigs list.  Ask around folks you know.  There is always someone wanting to get rid of theirs because they don't use it, often for free.  

If you buy a new one, they depreciate quicker than a car.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy used.

Someone buys one, uses it a bunch of times the first summer, then it sits there unused.

My buddy's house came with one, he thought it was awesome, fast forward 2 years, he gave it away to someone because the maintenance per time spent using it was too much hassle.

There is the problem...you are supposed to use them in the winter...

and maintenance isnt that bad, you just have to stay on top of it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Invite some arfcomer's hawt wife to your pool party.

That's what I learned from this site.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Get one that's also a time machine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy used.

That is exactly what I did. Original home owner was more than happy to "throw in" the hot tub with the sale. It was nice and worked fine - no problems other than my kid leaving the heater on for about a week once. Electric bill that month was .

Happily gave it to my cousin and now the concrete portion of my patio where it was is home to our grill and smoker. We get much more use out of those.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Add lots of this:

Because it sucks when you and the wife have fun time and the next day it gets your daughter, her friends, and your son's girlfriend pregnant.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Whatever brand you buy don't spill any contraband russian energy drink on the control panel.  

?

it seemed to work well for those guys.

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Hot Spring or Dimension One.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless you use it to lure college-age girls over to bang them in it, you'll be sorry you spent a dime on it eventually.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unless you use it to lure college-age girls over to bang them in it, you'll be sorry you spent a dime on it eventually.

This.

Worse than boats.

Also, you can never wash all the man-batter out of the tubes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The reason for the jets is so you can't see the crap in the water through the foam.

I live in a place that has two. I and the girl use it several times a week (no, no whoopie). I dread having to pay for one when we eventually buy a place. At least the initial investment will be low. I wonder what the actual maintenance/energy costs are if it is 10F outside.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]
spa guts

Buy used and repair it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

it seemed to work well for those guys.

C'mon man you know that was just a movie right, real life time travel is much more difficult.

Link Posted: 6/2/2011 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I enjoyed mine (house had it when I bought the place) till I got my first electric bill, then, didn't take long to sell it.    Glad as hell I got rid of the damn thing.

vmax84
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Bullfrog and totally recommend it.

And the hot tub parties are worth it

Link Posted: 6/2/2011 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Buy used.

THIS.

A good friend got a decent size tub, a bit older, tho, for $900.   The heater crapped out after about 6 months, so we've got to fix that soon.  He said his electric bill went up about $30 a month with it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I had an ozinator on mine - I had very little chemical issues.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Geez....kinda sounds like most don't like!
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think that you either use it all the time or don't like it.  The people I know who like it are in it all the time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, I like the thought - but the numbers just make it not worth the cost for me.
Honestly I was thinking of putting one on my back deck but after listening to my friends who own them and my own research led me to my decision to forgo the tub and pursue other venues that have less maintenance and less cost.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Would buy used but not sure where to do that at. Don't want to get burned with a lemon!
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a "splash tub" hot tub, 300 gallons, portable, takes 115v.

I'm on my second one.

eta:

the tub maintains 105 degrees in the winter, we don't use it as much in the summer because its hot as hell down here anyway but we keep it going year round.

Link Posted: 6/2/2011 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Fucking fo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm on my second one.

eta:
the tub maintains 105 degrees in the winter, we don't use it as much in the summer because its hot as hell down here anyway but we keep it going year round.

Hot tubs do not go higher than 104F unless they are "illegally" modified.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]
The previous owners of my house had one installed.  They bought cheap from Ebay.  

We used it the first year, then it started leaking heavily.  I spent a few days underneath it, placing hose clamps on all the tubing.  
The next year it started tripping the breaker, spent a few days underneath it to find out that the breaker tripped when the ozonator kicked on.
The year after that, the hot tub grew a nasty bacteria.  Giving me and my wife a horrible rash that required a few doctors visits, tons of creams, and two courses of antibiotics.  I spent a few days emptying and bleaching the shit out of it.
This year, the heater went out.  Its been sitting empty for three months.  

I have spent more time underneath the damn thing, than I have spent in it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#36]
My advice is don't buy one.  I had one for a couple years.  Damn thing was 10x more maintenance than my pool is.  Sold it to fund a reloading/tool shed.

I will say that nearly every woman that entered it ended up topless.   Also had a girl seriously injured when she accidentially exited it.

If you are dead set on owning one, I would buy a good used one that's 1-2 years old.  The depreciation is immediate.  220v with a big heater and pump/motor.

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#37]
had hot tub's since i was a kid. it is way easier to own than a pool....leaps and bounds easier. why all the hot tub hate? are ya'll really that lazy? It's harder to keep the rust off my barrel's than it is to keep a hot tub maintained.

Always keep the cover on when not in use. It keeps leaves and other crap out, and keeps the heat in(meaning your heating element is less stressed).
You drain the thing out late spring, through the summer, and then clean it and fill it back up in fall.
Keep a floaty in there with chlorine bricks
Keep the water leveled
Enjoy
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Craigs list.  Ask around folks you know.  There is always someone wanting to get rid of theirs because they don't use it, often for free.  

If you buy a new one, they depreciate quicker than a car.

my mom cut one up with a sawzall because no one would come pick it up they wanted her to take it to them.

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#39]
first six months its badass
your wife loves it and its a instant mood "enhancer"
I will say sitting in one in some cold rain is good therapy
ohh and beer will never taste better or colder

then you use it less and less until eventually you sell it.

I heard its the same with a pool. but around here its hot enough a pool can be used ten months out of the year without a heater

edit:this was also back when chlorine was king
and that was a main factor in not liking ours
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a sundance spa.  Its about 4 years old now, and it rocks.  A lot of fun and very relaxing.

Id recommend going with the Nature mineral packs vs. chlorine.  No smell and very easy maintenance.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#41]
We have a hot springs envoy. At 11k and a deck and a new 220v line it was pricy but worth it. I like the hot springs brand because the warranty was 5 years. Seats 5. It doesn't have as many jets as the ones at SAMs club, but the craftsmanship appears far supperior.  

Number of jets doesn't matter if you buy a quality tub. Out tub is totally insulated and maintained 104 deg all winter with very little change electric bill. Our power went out for four days this winter avg 20deg outside and the water temp only dropped to 78 deg.  

The hot springs filter can be tossed in the dishwasher for cleaning. = nice

if you don't want to spend tons look at the lower priced models available by other names made by hot springs (they are on their website). Also considder the enclosure material wood vs plastic and maintenance. Chemicals can be reduced with the use of an ozonator. I don't care for ours so we had it disconnected and use a drop in spa frog which helps balance the ph and sanatizer. We use bromine.

Good luck and spend wisely.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Want to add that we do a complete water change every 3 months of sooner if the water foams too much.

Foam can be caused by too much total dissolved solids (chemicals) and ass holes that done rinse detergent out of their clothes. A ver minsclue amount of detergent can turn into a foam party. We dont allow street clothes in our tub. Bathing suit or birthday suit only.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on my second one.

eta:

If you run it with the cover on you can easily reach 107.   On a 220v model the heater runs when the pump is on. Not true with a 110 v
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't do it!.. I am currently ripping mine out of my deck. It's a built in model and a mofo. It was here when we bought the house. Used it about 15 times and then the maintenance issues started and never stopped... It has not been used in 2 years, real pain in the ass.. If you have to get one, make sure you can afford to keep it running. It is not easy..
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I would go for a Sauna!!! You get hot and swea, The electric bill is not affected and have you ever tried sex under water?, unless your hottube is full of KY jelly it aint that fun!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Make sure you poor some Chernobly in the control panel...for the time travel effects ya know!
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm on my second one.

eta:

or the electronic temp gauge on the control panel is off by one degree and always shows 105 like mine does.

eta: with the lid on.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Starting the process of shopping for a hot tub and there are so many choices and prices! Anyone with thoughts on a brand and model? Have looked at Maax, Catalina, and Hot Springs so far. Thanks in advance.

Get on craigslist. Plenty of free hot tubs in great functioning condition. Just be sure you have a way to be the first to pick it up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Look at a traditional ofuro, never leave water in it, wood looks good, doesn't turn into a bio-hazard. Clean and simple, plenty of U.S. manufacturers.
Use cool water in summer, soak hot in winter. Doesn't have a bunch of systems to maintain. Get Momma-san to scrub your back...
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Think I found a 1 year old tub for about 1/2 the cost of new for the same model I was looking for! Wanted a different color but at the price I can make do. Now to find someone to move and hookup to get me started. Even tho most disagree I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get those tops off ladies!,
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top