Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:32:58 PM EDT

news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=468552006

Hospital lets its patients self-harm in pilot scheme

NICHOLAS CHRISTIAN

PATIENTS who self-harm are being allowed to cut themselves under the supervision of nurses in a pilot scheme being carried out in an NHS hospital, it emerged yesterday.

The South Staffordshire NHS Trust has introduced the trial in the hope that supervision, rather than prohibition, will help patients find better ways of dealing with their problems.

Consultant nurse Chris Holley, who is organising the pilot, acknowledged that some of the nurses taking part were "uncomfortable" with the idea that they should allow patients to perform actions which damage their health.

But she said that guidelines had been drawn up to ensure that it took place in a safe way and was accompanied by efforts to encourage self-harmers to stop.

News of the scheme emerged ahead of a study, being published today, which is expected to report that one in 15 young people in the UK have self-harmed and more than 24,000 teenagers are admitted to hospital every year for deliberately hurting themselves.

The report, by the Camelot Foundation and the Mental Health Foundation, is expected to call for more training for health and education professionals about self-harm.

Holley told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that staff at St George's psychiatric hospital in Stafford were not being asked to simply tell self-harmers to carry on cutting themselves.

"It's about knowing our patients, about getting all the risk assessments right and looking at harm management and how we treat these people - who have cut themselves for many years - when they come into inpatient settings," she said.

"It's more about how that person self-harms, how we can enable that to happen in a safe way.

"We can be specific about where you can do that, what needs to happen after you have done that if you need help with the wound, where you keep the implement that you are going to cut yourself with.

"You can be specific about how you want to be treated, how you want to be handled after you have cut yourself."

Holley said that within the nursing team conducting the pilot there were some who "feel quite strongly that they ought to have the duty of care to prevent that person from cutting".

Ian Hewlett, a mental health adviser to the Royal College of Nursing, backed the pilot.

He said: "I think that Chris Holley and her colleagues are taking an innovative and very praise-worthy initiative. I think there is no doubt that prohibition isn't helpful."
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:48:59 AM EDT
Just a natural progression from handing out free drugs & needles. What next, nurse supervised beastiality & pedophilia? The end is near...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:52:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CS223:
Just a natural progression from handing out free drugs & needles. What next, nurse supervised beastiality & pedophilia? The end is near...

+1. I think these "self-harmers" are nature-programmed to remove themselves from the gene-pool for some reason. If you want to slice your fucking arms up, just don't get blood on the carpet. The end is very near.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:57:47 AM EDT
Let's not try to help these people with the problem they have that is causing them to hurt themselves, let's just teach them how to hurt themselves in the most humane way. Some of this touchy feely shit has gone too far.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 7:13:45 AM EDT by FunYun1983]

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

But she said that guidelines had been drawn up to ensure that it took place in a safe way and was accompanied by efforts to encourage self-harmers to stop.

"It's more about how that person self-harms, how we can enable that to happen in a safe way.
WoW, are lobotomies required for this job?

He said: "I think that Chris Holley and her colleagues are taking an innovative and very praise-worthy initiative. I think there is no doubt that prohibition isn't helpful."

Hey! I agree with that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:31:50 AM EDT

This should keep them busy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:51:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SWIRE:
Let's not try to help these people with the problem they have that is causing them to hurt themselves, let's just teach them how to hurt themselves in the most humane way. Some of this touchy feely shit has gone too far.

Uhm... a lot of these people are fucked up and cannot afford the thousands of dollars worth of therapy and drugs they may need to get over their problems; I think teaching them how they can cut themselves without having to go to the hospital, wasting insurances/tax-payers' money on their stupid problem, is a great idea.
Top Top