Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/30/2009 1:13:48 PM EST
For pulling ceilings that is...... I love and use 99% of the time a drywall hook..... A 6 footer with a D handle.... Works good for taking out windows and pulling siding as well as ceilings.............How about you... what do you use?

Also.. Anyone use the new york roof hooks? How well do they work? We are thinking of buying a few to try out...
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:26:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:09:47 PM EST
We have a couple of the NY style. Two have a pry bar on the bottom of it; don't get that kind!

When I pull 8' ceilings the sharp pry bar always tries to impail me near the family jewels.

The kind with the water shut off end is more user friendly.

I do like them and it's my go to tool. We also have the standard pike style, but prefer the NY style.

NN
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:37:56 PM EST
Regular pike pole is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:34:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2009 5:36:16 PM EST by Dru]
Originally Posted By ff162bfd:
Regular pike pole is hard to beat.

Won't argue with you there.... We've got standard pike poles in various lengths.... But I always find myself grabbing that drywall hook......

I think we're going to try a new york roof hook out... Chiefs going to order a couple to throw on the new engine.....

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:59:58 PM EST
I have a 5 ft NY Roof Hook with a gas shut off on the other end I carry with me almost everyday... I'm riding an engine right now so it doesn't see to much use but its served me well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:57:58 AM EST
Wait, You mean we carry those things and they have a purpose? We carry the standard pike pole. Never used it though, not enough fires and our damn auto aid departments keep putting them out before we get there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:21:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By scooter12589:
Wait, You mean we carry those things and they have a purpose? We carry the standard pike pole. Never used it though, not enough fires and our damn auto aid departments keep putting them out before we get there.

You guys don't do overhaul?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:42:45 AM EST
NY hook.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 11:29:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2009 11:31:12 AM EST by BuckeyeRifleman]
I like the drywall hook too, mainly due to the fact that most houses in the district are drywall rather than the old wooden slats. If I am the backup man on the engine thats usually the first thing I grab. If I am exterior ladder I usually preffer the LA roof hook. Its good for pulling up a louver cut during roof ventilation and the flat hooks are great at punching out the drywall below.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:48:42 PM EST
Every auto aid structure fire I have been to they have released us within 30 minutes and they do their own overhaul. My district runs very few fires unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:23:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2009 3:23:59 PM EST by bubbahana]
Originally Posted By pondfly:
NY hook.

Or standard pike.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:53:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2009 7:55:07 PM EST by E-95]
All our apparatus have about an even split of standard pikes and NY hooks. We've always got one or two of the drywall hooks but they're the short handled versions. And a regular old pike is what I'm going to grab 99% of the time during overhaul if I need a long reach. That being said, we're a mostly single family residential city with relatively new houses (not many left that are 60 or more years old). The FDNY developed the NY hook for the standard pulling of walls and ceiling but also for a multiple of other tasks where I'd normally use a halligan or TNT: prying decking or tongue and groove paneling, prying roof doors or scuttle hatches, etc. It's a much more versatile tool if you know how to use it's designed leverage advantages. And given the wide variety of construction they encounter compared to my department, its versatility is really almost a requirement.

Oh, and if you're talking about that all steel NY roof hook, I've heard great things but primary is that you'd better be in top shape . . . the weight will wear you down fast if you're not.

E-95
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:01:19 PM EST
I have an antique Brass Pike pole head from the early 1900's, The tool is pretty long and has a little different angle. l Its pretty damn stout and thus far I have always gotten permission to put it on the truck. I have replaced the handle twice since I have had it, good old fashioned hickory.

Ill get a pick of it up as soon as I can.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:11:16 PM EST
Please do!

E-95
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:05:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:22:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
I like the drywall hook too, mainly due to the fact that most houses in the district are drywall rather than the old wooden slats. If I am the backup man on the engine thats usually the first thing I grab. If I am exterior ladder I usually preffer the LA roof hook. Its good for pulling up a louver cut during roof ventilation and the flat hooks are great at punching out the drywall below.

We call 'em trash hooks.... Is that what you're talking about?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:23:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By scooter12589:
Every auto aid structure fire I have been to they have released us within 30 minutes and they do their own overhaul. My district runs very few fires unfortunately.

My kinda fire.....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:05:51 AM EST
I HATE fucking pike poles. Almost got my eyeball poked out a few years back. I like closet hooks better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:13:26 AM EST
I like closet hooks too, but sometimes my short 5'-8" ass needs a little more reach!

E-95
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:32:00 AM EST

All of our engines carry:

One San Francisco Hook
Two 6' pike poles with the heavier NY style head
Two 8' regular style pike poles
& 1 Roofman's hook

Most guys prefer the roofman's hook.

Our truck has:
One 12' pike pole
One 10' pike pole
One 9' pike pole on the stick
Two 8' NY head pike poles
Two 6' NY head pike poles
One Drywall hook
& Three Roofman's hooks (one on the stick)

We had closet hooks with the D handles but guys were screwing up their wrists with them....so we got rid of em...

Actually rather than a hook, I like just a plain ol 8lb. pik headed axe. You can break windows, peel off trim, open a roof, open a wall, keep yourself from falling off a roof by using it as a brace, you think of it, you can pretty much do it with an axe.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:38:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By bubbahana:
Originally Posted By pondfly:
NY hook.

Or standard pike.

This.

They can both have their place on the fire ground. We like the roof hooks because we use them for RIT stuff. Although this picture shows regular fiberglass pike poles being used for a stretcher carry through an SCBA, steel roof hooks are a much better choice. For just plain pulling down drywall in newer lighweight construction I like the drywall hook from the first picture. When it comes to older houses with plaster and lathing the regular pike is my weapon of choice.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:18:23 PM EST
We don't have much of a choice.

Standard pike ole for me. I never used anything else.
Top Top