Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2004 9:41:34 AM EDT
BATFE Seeks to Block Tracing Data

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) has filed a petition with a Federal appellate court seeking an emergency stay of Federal Judge Jack B. Weinstien's order that it turn over its gun trace database to New York City for use in its lawsuit against the firearm industry.  The BATFE is also seeking  to have Weinstein's order overturned, arguing that his "undermining of the plain will of Congress is precisely the kind of 'judicial usurpation of power' which warrants [appellate review]."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm...I'm not entirely sure about this.  The BATFE on the right side of the fight?  My guess is that the records to be turned over would greatly BENEFIT the firearms industry.

Just a hunch...I could be wrong.  I just don't see the ATF siding with the freedoms of citizens.

The snippet was referenced from America's First Freedom magazine, Oct. 2004 issue, pg. 20
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
This is actually an interesting topic.  I was hoping to get a few opinions on this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This is actually an interesting topic.  I was hoping to get a few opinions on this.

we are too stunned to reply
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Contrary to poplular belief not all ATF agaents are JBTs. And sometimes they even do their jobs right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

we are too stunned to reply

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess ATF really just follows what Congress critters tell them to do, except that sporting clause or whatever.

We should start putting more agents in the BATFE so they interpret the laws in our favor...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I know I'll be keeping my eye on this one.  Very interesting.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
This only makes sense if BATF lost all the records and is trying to cover for that
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I think what it has to do with is that there is nothing in the trace data that indicates why the trace was done. When the antis started saying that ATF trace data showwed a 66% drop in AW traces and saying that was proof of the ban working, BATFE came out and said hold the phone, your mis inturpreting the data and that is not at all what that means. So thye may just not want the data to be used beacause it can be easily scewed and misinturpreted.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#10]
It just goes to show that everyone has someone higher up than them.

I have heard that the attitudes in the ATF and people doing the NICS background checks are totally different now than they were under the Klinton Regime.

However if I were elected president I would do away with both agencies and repeal the '86 machine gun ban.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This only makes sense if BATF lost all the records and is trying to cover for that

WRONG!

Back to tinfoil 101 for you!

They are opposing turning over their database because if they did so, the truth about the far-reaching extents of their databases would become public.  You know, the databases that they're not supposed to have.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
i thought the gun trace database is ONLY susposed to be used in criminal investigations (by outside sources, ie. police, fbi, cia). internally, i understand that they do traces for various reasons, but NOT LAWSUITS AGAINST GUN MANUFACTURES. as new york wants to do.  as i see it new york needs to have congress change the law, not get some asshat judge to change it from the bench.

besides, i don't see where the batfe records would really do any good for new york's lawsuits.

other than out-of-buisness records from ffls what records does the batfe have anyway?  the background checks are susposed to be destroyed.  and they don't tell the batfe which gun a person bought.

(edited to clairify my meaning in the first sentence)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
all of the atf agents that i met have been very professional and friendly.

They are not your friends.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Contrary to poplular belief not all ATF agaents are JBTs. And sometimes they even do their jobs right.

I think this is an example of Leadership from the top.

We have an Attorney General who is on record saying the 2A is an individual right, rather than on record saying "Kill them.  Every single one of them." (Not a factual Janet Reno quote, just my suposition...)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought that perhaps there had been a mass suicide involving JBTs.  If the pigs at ATF are opposed to turning over records, it is because it will reveal information that is devastating to ATF, and NOT because they want to protect the rule of law, the Constitution, or any other noble cause.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top