Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2014 9:19:16 AM EDT
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/05/16/hood-disease-inner-city-oakland-youth-suffering-from-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd-crime-violence-shooting-homicide-murder/

Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

OAKLAND (KPIX 5) — In the inner city, a health problem is making it
harder for young people to learn. The Centers for Disease Control said
30 percent of inner city kids suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder
(PTSD).

The CDC said these children often live in virtual war zones. Doctors
at Harvard said they actually suffer from a more complex form of PTSD
that some call "hood disease.”

Unlike soldiers, children in the inner city never leave the combat zone. They often experience trauma, repeatedly.

"You could take anyone who is experiencing the symptoms of PTSD, and
the things we are currently emphasizing in school will fall off their
radar. Because frankly it does not matter in our biology if we don’t
survive the walk home,” said Jeff Duncan-Andrade, Ph.D. of San Francisco
State University.

In Oakland, about two thirds of the murders last year were actually clustered in East Oakland, 59 people killed.

Teachers and administrators who graduated from Fremont High School in
East Oakland and have gone back to work there spoke with KPIX 5.

"These cards that (students) are suddenly wearing around their neck
that say ‘Rest in peace.’ You have some kids that are walking around
with six of them. Laminated cards that are tributes to their slain
friends,” said teacher Jasmene Miranda.

Jaliza Collins, also a teacher at Fremont, said, "It’s depression,
it’s stress, it’s withdrawal, it’s denial. It’s so many things that is
encompassed and embodied in them. And when somebody pushes that one
button where it can be like, ‘please go have a seat,’ and that can be
the one thing that just sets them off.”

In 2013, there were 47 recorded lockdowns in Oakland public schools – again, almost all in East and West Oakland.

View Quote

"Yo, I be 'scused?  Got me a Motherfucker Syndrome flareup"

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
in before libtards throw money at this problem while blaming white privilege and guns
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
un-fucking-believable.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#3]
This will spread like wildfire to urban populations around the country.  More free money for the masses.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Well that makes them disabled, and they should qualify to receive the associated benefits.

What? Isn't that what I'm supposed to say?
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This will spread like wildfire to urban populations around the country. More free money for the masses.
View Quote

its all about that
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh for fuck's sake.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I see no choice put to put everyone that did/does live in the hood on the prohibited persons list and deny all NICS checks. Then go door to door of all known gun owners in the hood California-style and confiscate the weapons from these mental cases.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#8]
PTSD will become the new "bi-polar"

Can't be responsible for our own actions. Gotta have something to blame.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Of course they have PTSD.

So what are we going to do about it?  Continue so subsidize the problem.  Nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]
That paves the way for them to recieve diability. Awesome. Followed by Fed plans to evacuate them from the hood and into your neighborhoods, because we'll all benefit from the diversity.
What a fair and wonderful nation.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

PTSD will become the new "bi-polar"

Can't be responsible for our own actions. Gotta have something to blame.
View Quote

It isn't "the reason."  It's only a part of the big picture.

Neglectful parents, poverty, entitlement, drugs, violence, gangs... Education is the one thing that can take a group of people out of the ghetto.  All these things stand in the way of children learning.

Small picture, it's the individual's responsibility to improve themselves.  Big picture, it's the fault of the community and government for creating and subsidizing these issues.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Paging Dr. Ben Carson. I have a close friend that grew up the same way. She graduated as valedictorian of her High School and College class, she has been an MD for over 10 years.  It's not the situation, it's the person.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Move them to a nicer area and they'll spread the hood there.

Don't care and can't give a phuc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no doubt that living in a neighborhood with violent thugs could cause PTSD.  Moreover, I can certainly believe that living under a constant threat of death from violence can promote the short-term thinking that permeates many low-income communities.  Ghetto culture is without a doubt a virulent and infectious disease.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Ana check cuz I can't work an sht...
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#16]
what's next.  I get tired at night.  Oh shit, you have narcolepsy.  SO quick to blame something or medicate.

I caw bewlshit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have no doubt that living in a neighborhood with violent thugs could cause PTSD.  Moreover, I can certainly believe that living under a constant threat of death from violence can promote the short-term thinking that permeates many low-income communities.  Ghetto culture is without a doubt a virulent and infectious disease.
View Quote
Agreed.

The question is, what's to be done about it.  I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I'll disagree with whatever is come up with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Wait a second, if it's a disease, don't we get to seal off and quarantine the effected population????

Maybe we're on to something here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh crap! Just another day in guilt trip land here in Mich.
What can I do this time? Give them my grocery money for the month, or maybe the house payment. Won't matter anyway....it won't be enough.

Reality? IDGAFF= I don't give a flying fuck!!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I always thought it was the "my daddy isn't around to beat my ass when I do stupid shit, and my mom is too lazy to go to work" syndrome.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I have never understood why a mother would subject her kids to that shit. If it were me, I would grab my kids and walk out if I had to. Where? Who cares? Anywhere would be better than living amongst that shit. Walk to a small country town. Get a totally shit job. It has to be better than the hood.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh for fuck's sake.
View Quote

This is all I care to say..
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#23]
More SSI money, please!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top